PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Glock 18 Semi-Auto

tippatone
05-11-2009, 06:22 AM
I was having a convo with a friend of mine and the subject of the Glock 18 fully-auto came up. My question, is it possible that a civilian can posses this this gun legal or not, I was saying that it is possible that someone, owns this gun, he is telling me no. What is the truth? Can a regular Glock be modified to fire auto? Need help.....

BanginJimmy
05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
semi-auto just means that it fires 1 round every time you pull the trigger. ALL Glocks are semi-auto.

The Glock 18 is full auto so would require a special license to own.

tippatone
05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
semi-auto just means that it fires 1 round every time you pull the trigger. ALL Glocks are semi-auto.

The Glock 18 is full auto so would require a special license to own.

My mistake for the semi, I meant auto. I understand it's for law enforcement folks, but is it possible that an civilian can own this type of weapon?

leobond001
05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING ONE ONCE I GET MY MOS STATION.

Vteckidd
05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I dont think a civilian can own this firearm. Something like a Class 3 License lets you own like a SIlencer, full auto weapon etc. But i thought it had to a be a pre ban full auto weapon.

I was under the impression any FULL AUTO weapon made now is strictly for law enforcement

tippatone
05-11-2009, 09:47 AM
So here is my next question, is it possible a person who is a gumsmith can modify a Glock 17 to fire auto like the 18?? And as VtecKidd said this is not a weapon a civilian can legally own. I think if a person is caught with one they will have one hell of a problem

tippatone
05-11-2009, 09:48 AM
I THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING ONE ONCE I GET MY MOS STATION.

What is a MOS station???

Vteckidd
05-11-2009, 09:48 AM
you cannot modify a gun to fire full auto, that is a felony, class 3 license or not

tippatone
05-11-2009, 09:53 AM
you cannot modify a gun to fire full auto, that is a felony, class 3 license or not

I am fully aware of that, trust me, it's a fed charge, but I wanted to know to shut my friend the hell up, it is possible for a person to have this gun. He is telling me that it is no way possible for a person to have this type of weapon. I am saying someone,somewhere has this gun. What do you think?

BanginJimmy
05-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I am fully aware of that, trust me, it's a fed charge, but I wanted to know to shut my friend the hell up, it is possible for a person to have this gun. He is telling me that it is no way possible for a person to have this type of weapon. I am saying someone,somewhere has this gun. What do you think?

If you have a Class 3 license you can own one. Class 3 licenses are mainly for dealers and collectors though, not for your average citizen.

Vteckidd
05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
as i said above, you must have a class 3 License and tax stamp to own one, which is not easy to obtain

Vteckidd
05-11-2009, 10:04 AM
"Class 3" refers to a firearms dealer who has paid a special tax, called the "Special Occupational Tax" (SOT) to deal in machineguns and other National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.

Machineguns, Sound suppressors, Short-Barrel Rifles and Shotguns, and Any Other Weapons (AOW) are all regulated and taxed under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) as amended by Title 2 of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968.

Semi-auto and all other firearms except large-bore or explosive Destructive Devices are regulated under Title 1 of the Gun Control Act (GCA).

What most people mistakenly call Class 3 is properly referred to as NFA or Title 2 firearms.

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms
A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms
A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.

tippatone
05-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Thank you VtecKidd you answered my question!!! If you have a Class 3 License and tax stamp(not easy to obtain) it can be had........Excuse me, I have to help my friend to shove his foot in his mouth.

5spdfrk
05-11-2009, 10:08 AM
To answer your question...yes, it is possible to modify any glock to be full-auto and yes, I'm sure someone, somewhere has a glock 18 or a modified FA glock. But when you're caught you'll be in some deep nastiness.

Edit: Looks like your question has already been answered. :goodjob:

tippatone
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
"Class 3" refers to a firearms dealer who has paid a special tax, called the "Special Occupational Tax" (SOT) to deal in machineguns and other National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons.

Machineguns, Sound suppressors, Short-Barrel Rifles and Shotguns, and Any Other Weapons (AOW) are all regulated and taxed under the National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) as amended by Title 2 of the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968.

Semi-auto and all other firearms except large-bore or explosive Destructive Devices are regulated under Title 1 of the Gun Control Act (GCA).

What most people mistakenly call Class 3 is properly referred to as NFA or Title 2 firearms.

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms
A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms
A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.

Thank you, I knew someone on IA had some info to help....reps given to all

tippatone
05-11-2009, 10:11 AM
To answer your question...yes, it is possible to modify any glock to be full-auto and yes, I'm sure someone, somewhere has a glock 18 or a modified FA glock. But when you're caught you'll be in some deep nastiness.

Edit: Looks like your question has already been answered. :goodjob:

Thanks......reps for you

leobond001
05-11-2009, 10:40 AM
What is a MOS station???

MY DUTY STATION FOR THE MILITARY

DamnDisLaOsBoY
05-11-2009, 11:06 AM
yeh no one can carry it. but i have seen it coverted into a .40 glock! =)

tippatone
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
yeh no one can carry it. but i have seen it coverted into a .40 glock! =)

Really!!!!!!:eek: Damn!!!!!

DaX
05-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Short answer - no, you can't legally own a Glock 18. It's a post-sample firearm, manufactured / registered after May 19, 1986.

Only FFL/SOT's can get one on a demo letter.

tippatone
05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Short answer - no, you can't legally own a Glock 18. It's a post-sample firearm, manufactured / registered after May 19, 1986.

I know it's not legal, I was just asking if anybody possibly had this weapon in their possesion, and I found out only federally licensed dealers can have the ability to get weapons of this type.

Jaimecbr900
05-11-2009, 07:31 PM
That doesn't mean the guy can't make himself one. A gunsmith with enough skill and knowledge can do wonders. Lots of weapons can be "modified" to do lots of "illegal" things. One can technically take a hacksaw and hack off a barrel off any rifle and have it as short as he/she wants. Is it legal? Hell no. Can it be done? Of course. Has it been done? A million times.

So can this guy technically have one? Sure. Is it legal? Hell no. Does that matter? Not to many.

:2cents:

allmotoronly
05-11-2009, 08:52 PM

actually a glock rep told me once that there were actually a handful of glock 18's manufactured before 5/19/86. He wouldn't say exactly how many, but he made out like it was less than a dozen. He said they are valued at over $90k, and change ownership VERY rarely.

81911SC
05-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I think if I remember right HK made one back in the 70's or 80's too.

DaX
05-12-2009, 06:48 AM
actually a glock rep told me once that there were actually a handful of glock 18's manufactured before 5/19/86. He wouldn't say exactly how many, but he made out like it was less than a dozen. He said they are valued at over $90k, and change ownership VERY rarely.

Now that I think about it, I think I did hear something about only a few transferable G18's being around, and I would not doubt them commanding a price that high.

DaX
05-12-2009, 06:54 AM
That doesn't mean the guy can't make himself one. A gunsmith with enough skill and knowledge can do wonders. Lots of weapons can be "modified" to do lots of "illegal" things. One can technically take a hacksaw and hack off a barrel off any rifle and have it as short as he/she wants. Is it legal? Hell no. Can it be done? Of course. Has it been done? A million times.

So can this guy technically have one? Sure. Is it legal? Hell no. Does that matter? Not to many.

Comparing a post-sample MG to an SBR is not a good comparison. Can he saw off his own barrel? Sure...but he could easily pay $200 and do it legally. The only way to legally get a post-sample MG is to be an FFL/SOT and have written permission from the BATFE to have possession of it, and you have to prove to them that it is to demo the firearm to a law enforcement or government agency. If you ever decide to get out of the FFL/SOT business, or let your license expire, you have to transfer it to another FFL/SOT who is requesting such a firearm on a demo letter, or destroy the firearm.

I do get what you're saying though - lots of people own illegal firearms. For just a few dollars, you can buy plans to illegally machine your own DIAS. Or you can do the right thing and buy a registered DIAS for about $11,000. You need to decide if the risk of huge fines, long prison terms, your property being confiscated, and never being able to own a firearm again is worth it. Me? I'll pay to play if I can ever afford it. For now I'll stay legal.

tippatone
05-12-2009, 08:29 AM
Comparing a post-sample MG to an SBR is not a good comparison. Can he saw off his own barrel? Sure...but he could easily pay $200 and do it legally. The only way to legally get a post-sample MG is to be an FFL/SOT and have written permission from the BATFE to have possession of it, and you have to prove to them that it is to demo the firearm to a law enforcement or government agency. If you ever decide to get out of the FFL/SOT business, or let your license expire, you have to transfer it to another FFL/SOT who is requesting such a firearm on a demo letter, or destroy the firearm.

I do get what you're saying though - lots of people own illegal firearms. For just a few dollars, you can buy plans to illegally machine your own DIAS. Or you can do the right thing and buy a registered DIAS for about $11,000. You need to decide if the risk of huge fines, long prison terms, your property being confiscated, and never being able to own a firearm again is worth it. Me? I'll pay to play if I can ever afford it. For now I'll stay legal.

That's the truth....you said one main thing..... STAY LEGAL:goodjob:

Jaimecbr900
05-13-2009, 12:57 AM

I don't know half of your accronyms, but you didn't get what I was saying.

The OP asked a rather simple question that many have complicated. He wanted to know if his friend could POSSIBLY have a certain type of weapon to shut him up or not. That was the question. Not how to make it legal, how much it costs, nor what the steps are. Can his buddy POSSIBLY have one. The short answer is maybe. If it's legal or not is another whole question. That was my point.

We all modify our guns all the time, atleast I do. We change out triggers, firing pins, grips, sights, etc. Is it too far to fathom that some unscrupulous gunsmith out there is not willing to modify a gun for the right cash price? Not really. Matter of fact, I'm willing to bet there are plenty DIY videos/instructions out there on the net on how to do plenty of mods that are not legal at all.

Anyway, the bottomline is that his friend COULD have one, but the likelihood is that he doesn't.

DaX
05-13-2009, 06:43 AM
True. I met a guy who told me he had a Glock 18 he was looking to sell. I told him I wanted absolutely nothing to do with it! So yep, non-registered G18's are out there.

Oh, and:
MG = machine gun
SBR = short barrel rifle
FFL = federal firearms licence
SOT = special occupational taxpayer
DIAS = drop-in auto sear
:cheers:

ttman
05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
the title is glock 18 semi auto. if u want a SA, get a glock 17, same frame. 18 is a select fire gun.

tippatone
05-13-2009, 09:11 AM
the title is glock 18 semi auto. if u want a SA, get a glock 17, same frame. 18 is a select fire gun.

The title was a misprint.....it should have been Glock 18 fully-auto