PDA

View Full Version : rebuilding a b series turbo engine

big mac
05-10-2009, 02:13 PM
aight so hers the deal i have an ls vtec turbo in my ej8. i want to switch out the ls bottom for a gsr block that i have. one of my questions is can i still use my ls v b16 head on the gsr block?

and since i will be reusing all my built ls v internals on the gsr. i need a re build kit. i just wanted to see what all im going to need? i know i will need a full gasket kit, piston rings, rear and front main seals. will i also need rod bearing and all that?

any help or sudgestion are welcome

big mac
05-10-2009, 02:56 PM
lol no help yet

ACCORDPRIDE
05-10-2009, 03:15 PM
aight so hers the deal i have an ls vtec turbo in my ej8. i want to switch out the ls bottom for a gsr block that i have. one of my questions is can i still use my ls v b16 head on the gsr block?

and since i will be reusing all my built ls v internals on the gsr. i need a re build kit. i just wanted to see what all im going to need? i know i will need a full gasket kit, piston rings, rear and front main seals. will i also need rod bearing and all that?

any help or sudgestion are welcome

not to sure abut the block swap but watever you do you will need to get the crank checked and polished at least - new rod and main bearings, full gasket set, and the rings
if your gona have ot apart you might as well do it all:goodjob:

PROŽ
05-10-2009, 03:59 PM
sounds like a poor man's type r...well kind of.

b16 head, gsr block, b16 pistons and usually type r cams...etc.

if you havent already, research poor man's type r, and you'll find some info.

moral of the story is:yes u can use a b16 head with a b18c1 block

big mac
05-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Yeah but my head is tapped for ls v. I have low comp pistons eagle rods cause I'm turbo

Black4DrEK
05-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Should be fine.. just get everything You said above plus the bottom end Bearings!!!

GL

bpoweredhatch
05-10-2009, 07:00 PM
and let me get those dow pins and stuff to make mine ls v :)

turbob20
05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
take out the plug on the bottom of head and do your thing, then with the threads you can switch back if you ever wanna. also be sure to get a b16 or gsr head gasket so you can have use of your new unplugged oil hole in the head you will now be using from block to head.

big mac
05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
and let me get those dow pins and stuff to make mine ls v :)

i have gsr dow pins in mine. thats what alot of people use for ls v

big mac
05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
take out the plug on the bottom of head and do your thing, then with the threads you can switch back if you ever wanna. also be sure to get a b16 or gsr head gasket so you can have use of your new unplugged oil hole in the head you will now be using from block to head.

thanks for da help man

big mac
05-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Anything else I should know?