PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Mind if I ask a question?

quickdodge®
05-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Let me preface this topic by stating that I am in no way bashing anyone or any particular person as this is a popular event.

What is the constant obsession with photographing cars in parking decks and behind warehouses? I don't get it. I don't see the creativity in parking halfway under a semi-truck to show your ride height. Or parking on a ramp. Or parking in a corner of the parking garage. Is there a shortage of ingenuity or imagination where folks can't come up with something more unique? I'm very surprised that no one has thought of going (what should NOT be) against the grain and heading out into the countryside. Parking garages and loading docks makes for some very boring pictures yet people continue to visit them again and again and again.

So can someone highlight the reasons as to why they think their pictures look good with that setting?

Later, QD.

TSiFTW
05-09-2009, 06:54 PM
x2. I prefer pics with nice sky lines, mountain roads, etc. I'm no professional photographer so I don't know that much but thats what I like to see.

Black4DrEK
05-09-2009, 07:17 PM
I like pics in the city... cuz of its architecture, lights, and such!!

out in the Country / BOONDOCKS!! is'nt my cup of tea..

Its all just preference.. Im a city boy so, city boy pics it is!!

Frög
05-09-2009, 07:19 PM
There is only so many different places to take pics..

EVERY location, EVERY SCENERY has been done x112340981230847139847 times!

Not one will be original, because it has already been done..

Unless you get the car on the front lawn of 1600 Pennsylvania avenue with Obama hanging out giving the shocker, its going to be done and boring..

Turbodude06
05-09-2009, 07:21 PM
^ I agree with the last three, City pictures are nice cause most people don't live in citys and I guess its something new, Country pictures are also nice cause its just no man made, but they have all been used a million times. Someone needs to do some stuff in space:crazy: .........

quickdodge®
05-09-2009, 07:37 PM
There is only so many different places to take pics..

EVERY location, EVERY SCENERY has been done x112340981230847139847 times!

Not one will be original, because it has already been done..

Unless you get the car on the front lawn of 1600 Pennsylvania avenue with Obama hanging out giving the shocker, its going to be done and boring..

You're smart enough to know what I mean. When you see a thread title "Small shoot today" or "got some pics of my car" where are you mostly likely to see the shots taken? I estimate 99.678% of the pics will be in the two above mentioned places. When, besides my pics, was the last time you saw pics of IA folks cars in the country? Later, QD.

Scotsman
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
i prefer takin pics of the cars in my driveway or at ft yargo!

Black4DrEK
05-09-2009, 07:40 PM
ok

JITB
05-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Let me preface this topic by stating that I am in no way bashing anyone or any particular person as this is a popular event.

What is the constant obsession with photographing cars in parking decks and behind warehouses? I don't get it. I don't see the creativity in parking halfway under a semi-truck to show your ride height. Or parking on a ramp. Or parking in a corner of the parking garage. Is there a shortage of ingenuity or imagination where folks can't come up with something more unique? I'm very surprised that no one has thought of going (what should NOT be) against the grain and heading out into the countryside. Parking garages and loading docks makes for some very boring pictures yet people continue to visit them again and again and again.

So can someone highlight the reasons as to why they think their pictures look good with that setting?

Later, QD.

I feel the same way.. it makes me wish i had a nice camera. i got a a billion great spots i want to shoot. And i gurantee that no one will ever shoot there. The pictures are great..but the locations are so bland...it does suck alot.

2turbo4u
05-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Q.D you want them to be creative just to take a pictures of there new painted valve stems? These guys don't get out of the city much, so they have no idea what's out there.

Arm&hammer
05-10-2009, 07:29 PM
my car is too ugly to take pics of it.

EvasiveEF9
05-11-2009, 04:08 AM
I think it's just another fad. However, I also think it's on its way out.

The trailer shots I can understand. It's to show ride height. As you've got "a little experience" with the rigs, you know about (and by no means am I claiming I'm an expert on them) how much ground clearance there is between the box and the road and that, generally speaking, they're about the same height. Compare it to parking your car beneath say a loading dock. Loading docks vary a lot more in height than the frame of a truck (again, I'm not by any means including all types of trailers). I think it started with the fast and furious movie where the civic slides beneath the truck. It set a new boundary where people would look at the truck and go, "You can't really do that....but I wonder how close I can get?" More or less set the standard, and thus produced the fad? *shrugs* Takin' a shot in the dark.

As for the "alley" shots, again, I think it started with one person having a different idea to do a shoot with a nice car in an alley...and then people assumed that by putting their car in that scene, they'd receive the same "wow" affect. But again, the fad's being over-done. For most people in Atlanta, though, it's far easier to shoot their car in the city than in the country. I know for most people on IA, it's hard for them to achieve a beach shot. Hell, I'm here in San Diego and I can't get a beach shot!

Just my thoughts. Call me crazy. *shrug*

Scotsman
05-11-2009, 05:50 AM
I think it's just another fad. However, I also think it's on its way out.

The trailer shots I can understand. It's to show ride height. As you've got "a little experience" with the rigs, you know about (and by no means am I claiming I'm an expert on them) how much ground clearance there is between the box and the road and that, generally speaking, they're about the same height. Compare it to parking your car beneath say a loading dock. Loading docks vary a lot more in height than the frame of a truck (again, I'm not by any means including all types of trailers). I think it started with the fast and furious movie where the civic slides beneath the truck. It set a new boundary where people would look at the truck and go, "You can't really do that....but I wonder how close I can get?" More or less set the standard, and thus produced the fad? *shrugs* Takin' a shot in the dark.

As for the "alley" shots, again, I think it started with one person having a different idea to do a shoot with a nice car in an alley...and then people assumed that by putting their car in that scene, they'd receive the same "wow" affect. But again, the fad's being over-done. For most people in Atlanta, though, it's far easier to shoot their car in the city than in the country. I know for most people on IA, it's hard for them to achieve a beach shot. Hell, I'm here in San Diego and I can't get a beach shot!

Just my thoughts. Call me crazy. *shrug*crazy

PURP
05-11-2009, 06:35 AM
To me I don't care where it's done at. parking deck, behind quiktrip, etc..etc.. I just want pics of my car...not what's behind it. So, to me, locations mean nothing. And I also feel alot of it has to do with being a last minute decision. Think about it. If you lived in the city, and wanted to take pics now. Would you drive to the closet spot and just get them, or would you drive an hour or more to the country to get trees or grass in the background? I'm gonna go with close.

EDIT:: I live in the country BTW. N. Georgia mountain area, to be exact

MINI
05-11-2009, 07:18 AM
What do you find in parking lots and parking decks?

Cars.

Sooo...Is that not their natural habitat? Yes.

A picture taken anywhere else would be like putting a Rhino in the middle of a city.

uproot
05-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Cars.
A picture taken anywhere else would be like putting a Rhino in the middle of a city.

:rolleyes:
Exactly... taking an object out of its "Natural Habitat" would be placing it somewhere UNEXPECTED. This helps to add INTEREST. An interesting photo helps draw the viewer in, and could be a more successful image....

BTW - Putting a Rhino in the middle of a city would be a sick photo.

Go on and marinate on that for a minute

MINI
05-11-2009, 07:48 AM
IS THIS INTERESTING AND CREATIVE?

Nemesis
05-11-2009, 08:10 AM
back in the day when Atlantic Station was just breaking ground, I shot Tanks Supra and my car there. After that about 30 other "photoshoots" went down there lol

Ed
05-11-2009, 08:24 AM
back in the day when Atlantic Station was just breaking ground, I shot Tanks Supra and my car there. After that about 30 other "photoshoots" went down there lol

everybody wants to be like George. :taun:

uproot
05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
IS THIS INTERESTING AND CREATIVE?

No, that's a poorly executed composite image.

MINI
05-11-2009, 08:30 AM
No, that's a poorly executed composite image.

shit :(

uproot
05-11-2009, 08:36 AM
shit :(

Its trippy though i'll give u that, LOL

http://shellgames.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg

blackshine007
05-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I prefer the tall grass on a country road or the mountainous background or something that would be very natural. Or the silohuette (sp?) of a car in the evening..... That's what gets me. Just my 2 cents.

nismo4
05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
i personally like the pics anywhere as long it makes my car look good lol

87 Turbo II
05-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I wanna see a car on top of a train.

hondachik
05-11-2009, 12:41 PM
so_clean took pics in the countryside not too long ago...

EvasiveEF9
05-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I wanna see a car on top of a train.
Some gangster already beat you to it in his Caddi.

http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/car-carrying-truck-collides-with-train-in-kent-washington-cadillac-dts-damaged-img_1.jpg?w=510&h=342

EvasiveEF9
05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
...I just realized something. Is that a dealer sticker in the window?

quickdodge®
05-11-2009, 06:19 PM

Cars.

So in other words, you have no idea what I'm saying. Later, QD.

DUBSf22c
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM

look like I have a new challenge in life!

01CDMLUDER
05-12-2009, 01:40 AM
You're smart enough to know what I mean. When you see a thread title "Small shoot today" or "got some pics of my car" where are you mostly likely to see the shots taken? I estimate 99.678% of the pics will be in the two above mentioned places. When, besides my pics, was the last time you saw pics of IA folks cars in the country? Later, QD.

I agree that it's played out. I like taking pictures in the country because there's a way bigger variety of backgrounds

A recent pic I took

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs019.snc1/4236_1159511150696_1315292375_408272_5617910_n.jpg