PDA

View Full Version : HELP ASAP

browningboy7
05-08-2009, 01:52 PM
So I have a Sony Vaio that is a few years old....I went to sleep last night everything was fine, Never had a single problem. I wake up and flip it open only to see a message that says "A disk read error occured, Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Now after quite a bit of research other then re-setting the bios to default and taking the battery out for 20 minutes to reset the computer *both of which I have done* no one seems to have an answer.

Here is the kicker, I can't even just whipe it out because the button on my cd-rom doesn't work and I would just have to right click on the CD rom drive and click open in order for it to open.

Any help would be great, Reps will be given. *sigh*

ttman
05-08-2009, 01:55 PM
does the bios see the HDD? if it doesn't u need a new HDD.

browningboy7
05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
does the bios see the HDD? if it doesn't u need a new HDD.

Yes, It does...

ttman
05-08-2009, 02:03 PM
reboot the PC and test to see if it will boot into safe mode (F8 or F12). if that works, reboot again and try to see if it will boot into Last Known Good Configuration. if safe mode did not work, use your XP CD to run a repair. or Sony may have a restore partition/program, use it if so.

browningboy7
05-08-2009, 02:09 PM
That would be all well and good, In my post I stated that the button on my CD-Rom is broken and I can only open it when the computer is booted up. lol *Will not boot in safe mode*

ttman
05-08-2009, 02:15 PM
safe mode has absolutely **nothing** to do with your CDROM drive.

you can open ur CDrom drive manually by inserting a flattened out paperclip into the tiny little hole.

Allshow97
05-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Exactly what TTMan said, take a paperclip and insert it into the tiny hole in your cd-rom to open it. It sounds like your HD may be getting ready to crash. What I would do would be to boot from a windows xp cd. Once you get to the blue windows xp screen asking to hit enter to continue or r to repair, hit R. Once it loads the command prompt run a chkdsk /f/r to check the disk for errors and try to recover from it. This will at the very least band-aid the problem until you can get another HD. That my :2cents: hope it helps.