PDA

View Full Version : so i need advice on a camra

firstgensir
05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
so i want to get a nice camra i was thinkin about a D40 or a digital SLR. just advice on what i should get

blacknightteg
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
wrong section.

firstgensir
05-08-2009, 12:09 PM
sry where else would it go. ill look

Black4DrEK
05-08-2009, 12:12 PM
D40 would be nice..

Not really he can ask a "Question he doesnt know were to post" in the General Tech!

blacknightteg
05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
yaeh but i mean honestly its under the car portion of the forum so if it has something to do with photos it goes in the photoshop&pic section.

Black4DrEK
05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
yea i know...

its all good

Black4DrEK
05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Im sure he will deff. get more info here!

firstgensir
05-08-2009, 12:47 PM
lol yea i didnt think it was the best section but i had the same idea that i would get better info here.thank for lookn out.

AndyStacy
05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
so i want to get a nice camra i was thinkin about a D40 or a digital SLR. just advice on what i should get

well, a d40 is a digital SLR, d40's are great starter cameras, also if you wanted to look into a different brand, IE Canon, look at the XSi or the T1i

Tarzanman
05-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Thats not enough information. You should try to figure out what you want the camera to do (do you want to be able to change lenses or is a 3x, 6x, or 10x zoom good enough for you? Do you want to be able to shoot a lot of video with it? Do you need an extra powerful flash? Do you need the ability to take low light photos?)

...and you need to decide how much you have to spend and what size the camera has to be (are you ok with a huge SLR, or do you want something that will fit in your pocket?)

Generally speaking, the larger (in size) the camera, the larger the sensor/lenses and the better quality you will get from it.

I am a big fan of ultracompact cameras. They are easy to use, fit in your pocket and take pretty decent photos in auto mode. Their main weaknesses are:
• Limited zoom (usually only 3x)
• Horrible low light photo capability (limitation of the lens and crappy flash)
• Bad for photos with high contrast

Princess12
05-09-2009, 08:57 AM
I agree with Tarzan... it really depends on what you are expecting from the camera, and honestly, your skills as a photographer. A camera does not make the photo. I do not know your skill level or experience; however, I would strongly advise against purchasing a D40 or any other DSLR camera until you have absolutely 100% mastered and exhausted using a point and shoot with manual settings. The reason being that you will be wasting a great deal of money on a camera with functions that you do not even know how to use.

blacknightteg
05-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I agree with Tarzan... it really depends on what you are expecting from the camera, and honestly, your skills as a photographer. A camera does not make the photo. I do not know your skill level or experience; however, I would strongly advise against purchasing a D40 or any other DSLR camera until you have absolutely 100% mastered and exhausted using a point and shoot with manual settings. The reason being that you will be wasting a great deal of money on a camera with functions that you do not even know how to use.

i honestly dont agree with that. Dslr's are ment to be as point and shoot as pocket camera's they just have more manual settings on them. i say go for it. its better to learn on something like one of those in my opinion then it is a pocket camera. I know there has been a lot of criticism on here towards people who are new at photography and want to get an slr, but i dont agree with it. yes if you exhaust many of the few manual options on a point and shoot, you will get a good picture. but even on that you wont get the quality a dslr will give you.

when taking pictures with a dslr, its not necessarily about having the manual settings right and what have you, its about angles. the angles can make and or break the picture.

if i were you i would go with a canon. to me that would be better for you in the long run. especially when it comes to acquiring better lenses as you get more into it. their not as expensive as nikon and you can find more third party lenses for canons

Princess12
05-09-2009, 09:31 AM
i honestly dont agree with that. Dslr's are ment to be as point and shoot as pocket camera's they just have more manual settings on them. i say go for it. its better to learn on something like one of those in my opinion then it is a pocket camera. I know there has been a lot of criticism on here towards people who are new at photography and want to get an slr, but i dont agree with it. yes if you exhaust many of the few manual options on a point and shoot, you will get a good picture. but even on that you wont get the quality a dslr will give you.

when taking pictures with a dslr, its not necessarily about having the manual settings right and what have you, its about angles. the angles can make and or break the picture.

if i were you i would go with a canon. to me that would be better for you in the long run. especially when it comes to acquiring better lenses as you get more into it. their not as expensive as nikon and you can find more third party lenses for canons

Just going from personal experience. I bought my D40 really before I was ready for one. I wish I had taken the time to learn on my point and shoot prior to investing in it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it! Great camera and I use it constantly, but I do feel as though I am sort of playing "catch up" with it at times. By all means, if he would like to dive into the DSLR world, I encourage him to do so... I was just speaking from personal opinion/experience which I should have stated.

blacknightteg
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Just going from personal experience. I bought my D40 really before I was ready for one. I wish I had taken the time to learn on my point and shoot prior to investing in it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it! Great camera and I use it constantly, but I do feel as though I am sort of playing "catch up" with it at times. By all means, if he would like to dive into the DSLR world, I encourage him to do so... I was just speaking from personal opinion/experience which I should have stated.

see to me, i play around with both all day long at work and in all honesty i dont feel like you can get what you want out of a point and shoot. especially if you are trying to do more specific things with a camera. the manual options on most point and shoot camera's are very lack luster in my opinion. you really cant get a feel for adjusting and what have you on them unless you go up to either a prosumer or dslr. even the prosumers can only give you so much.

Princess12
05-09-2009, 09:44 AM
see to me, i play around with both all day long at work and in all honesty i dont feel like you can get what you want out of a point and shoot. especially if you are trying to do more specific things with a camera. the manual options on most point and shoot camera's are very lack luster in my opinion. you really cant get a feel for adjusting and what have you on them unless you go up to either a prosumer or dslr. even the prosumers can only give you so much.

I do agree with you... sometimes you just can't get what you are trying to get with a point and shoot, and in that case a DSLR can prove very handy! I absolutely love the fact that by changing the lenses on my D40, granted they cost me an arm and leg, gives me a completely different perspective. However, I am also back in the market for a new point and shoot. With a 5 month old little girl, it is a little more difficult to carry a larger camera bag with me all the time. Some of the new point and shoots out there have pretty good manual options, offer a decent digital zoom, and of course come equipped with a plethora of auto settings for reasonable prices. I guess it all depends on what kind of pictures you are looking to take. Heck.... I say just buy both! Best of both worlds!

blacknightteg
05-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I do agree with you... sometimes you just can't get what you are trying to get with a point and shoot, and in that case a DSLR can prove very handy! I absolutely love the fact that by changing the lenses on my D40, granted they cost me an arm and leg, gives me a completely different perspective. However, I am also back in the market for a new point and shoot. With a 5 month old little girl, it is a little more difficult to carry a larger camera bag with me all the time. Some of the new point and shoots out there have pretty good manual options, offer a decent digital zoom, and of course come equipped with a plethora of auto settings for reasonable prices. I guess it all depends on what kind of pictures you are looking to take. Heck.... I say just buy both! Best of both worlds!

if you are in a market for another small point and shoot, dont consider digital zoom. you dont need that till its actually on the computer and the program you use can take care of that. i dont really like any of the manual options on the p&s camera's now a days, but thats just me. its like there just trying to teese you. if your lookin for a new camera' as far as p&s goes i would focus on how many scene modes it has as well as the optical zoom.

Princess12
05-09-2009, 09:54 AM
if you are in a market for another small point and shoot, dont consider digital zoom. you dont need that till its actually on the computer and the program you use can take care of that. i dont really like any of the manual options on the p&s camera's now a days, but thats just me. its like there just trying to teese you. if your lookin for a new camera' as far as p&s goes i would focus on how many scene modes it has as well as the optical zoom.

Yeah! I was playing with some last night, and the scene choices on some of them were crazy! I think they covered just about every scene I could ever think about shooting!

firstgensir
05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
well i can say one thing i have been a member of IA for about 5 years now and no matter hwo you use this site weather its to sell or just information theres no where else you can get as much support from people.somtimes its a lil harsh but everone is mostly in it for a good experence.i have been wanting to get in to photography since high school ive always had decent camras like i have a power shot now and its awsome in good light conditions but like yall have said for dark or dim light it suck. so i wanna try something better. thak you guys for the help and information .

Tarzanman
05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Are you kidding? Half of this board are adolescents that will flame someone just for posting your opinion, unfortunately many of the mods aren't much better. This place reminds me a lot of middle school, with its cliques and the general maturity level.

Try a photography forum if you're interested in getting more advice on a good place to start out with a camera

Nemesis
05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Are you kidding? Half of this board are adolescents that will flame someone just for posting your opinion, unfortunately many of the mods aren't much better. This place reminds me a lot of middle school, with its cliques and the general maturity level.

Then GTFO and stop posting here. Simple enough huh?