PDA

View Full Version : college!

Bigt8aford
05-08-2009, 09:56 AM
listen im not sure were this post should go, so for now im putting it here.

moving on, i'm about to graduate HS and i dont know what college im going to. i was set on gwinnett tech for a while, but when GM fell through i wasn't sure anymore. i mean, i just dont want to go for a specific manufacture and they go bankrumpted on me. so anywho if any of ya'll have any suggestions on good hands on career field and/or maybe schools that train for it please let me know, im sure im not the only one on here who could use some help.

thanks Chevrolet :goodjob:

ksniperfox
05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
gwinnett tech also has a toyota intern program....i dont think that company is garbage enough to go bankrupt yet....might wanna look into it.

most mechanics dont go get a degree/schooling to become a mechanic. they start as porters/lube techs and go to manufacturer classes and on job training and get certified. but the intern program is another way to get there. just fyi.

mocha latte cupcake
05-08-2009, 10:50 AM
i went to gwinnett tech and enjoyed it. i took the degree program not just the diploma stuff... anyways, i've got 2 classes left (kind of impossible to do from another state now sigh) anyways, basically take a gen auto stuff, if a manufactuer wants you they will teach you the specialized stuff. i was a mercedes tech for a little while and enjoyed it, they taught me stuff about them etc etc. but i'd rather know how to work on ALL cars then to be REALLY specific on one.

Bigt8aford
05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
yeah, but all i ever hear is that manufacture specific mechanics( or technicians ) make more?

BanginJimmy
05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
yeah, but all i ever hear is that manufacture specific mechanics( or technicians ) make more?

They do make more money when they are working, but they are less marketable if they arent.

GM will not go bankrupt. The govt will not let the union take that much of a hit. Now, if I was running GM I would start bankruptcy just so I could dump the union contracts and become profitable again.

Bigt8aford
05-08-2009, 01:40 PM
^^ you sound like a smart man
- and GM is definitely going under, i still have hope but with the drop of Pontiac its getting hard to believe lol

BanginJimmy
05-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Let me rephrase, they will go bankrupt, but they wont be going away. The dems are in charge right now and they very much depend on the union vote. Because of that, they will make sure that the Big 3 are still around to keep the unions employed.

Verik
05-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Everyone seems to think bankruptcy means the end of the business. The only bankruptcy that is an option to GM is a chapter 11 restructuring. GM is far to big to fail (sounds familiar from last fall, eh?) and the government knows that. The drop of pontiac, hummer, saturn, and saab was simply to rid themselves of less profitable/unprofitable dead weight names. It was not an indication of coming doom but rather an indication of their new business approach. Unfortunately through all this the Unions and Government together hold like 87% of GM in stocks through all this bailout crap so for those anti-UAW, you won't be seeing GM shed them off their balance sheets yet (though the revision of the contracts will be sure to see future discussions).

Also, if your looking for a stable car manufacture then work for Toyota. They are currently the world's largest auto maker and shown profits every quarter for the past 8 years in a row (leading up until the credit crunch occurred). Unfortunately you won't have a union job, but if you want stability over benefits I'd suggest you go with them.

Bigt8aford
05-10-2009, 08:37 PM
yeah, i was between Toyota and Nissan. no offense to any one but i just don't like Honda lol... but i still got to worry about actually graduating HS first, but i wanted to get some opinions (:2cents:) on the subject

thanks IA :goodjob:

Greddypacked
05-11-2009, 08:12 AM
If you want to make it high in mechanics why not go to UTI. They have great programs, even Nascar and Performance degrees (such as building hotrods, installing aftermarket parts-turbo's-superchargers and so forth).

Bigt8aford
05-11-2009, 09:07 AM
i was accepted there but i just don't have the cash to go there and something just didnt sound right when i went up there to visit. i was waiting for them to say " but wait! if you order in the next 5 min..." just didnt sound like a great school to me

BanginJimmy
05-11-2009, 10:09 AM
i was accepted there but i just don't have the cash to go there and something just didnt sound right when i went up there to visit. i was waiting for them to say " but wait! if you order in the next 5 min..." just didnt sound like a great school to me

UTI is an outstanding school and I have been told they have great financial aid programs. You will most definately get a far better education at UTI than you will anyplace in GA.

Bigt8aford
05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
idk we'll see, but thanks for the info, plus the represntative i had didnt know hat he hell was going on and didnt really help me out at all. im sorry but i just cant do that school.

leobond001
05-11-2009, 01:19 PM
atlanta tech has a bmw progam. i love there shop. you can eat off the floors at a bmw dealership.

you have to graduate with in the top 98% of the auto class. then its 12 weeks of the bmw program. they start out at 55+ i think.

wannab20hatch
05-12-2009, 03:01 AM
atlanta tech has a bmw progam. i love there shop. you can eat off the floors at a bmw dealership.

you have to graduate with in the top 98% of the auto class. then its 12 weeks of the bmw program. they start out at 55+ i think.

my dad works for a bmw body shop and its always clean. the uti kids always make bank. he had a uti kid intern with him for a year. he said the kid was making over 2g's a week interning. between the intern and my dad they turn 300+ hours weekly. if you want money out of school go to uti.

Bigt8aford
05-12-2009, 10:58 AM
^^damn, sounds amazing. i work at ingles now and the manager there was telling me he took some business classes right out of high school and took up a manager position and he was pulling 55k a year back then in like the 80s, so i may just do that i mean i know grocery very well and have built up alot here in the past year so ill just stick with what i know, especially in this economy.

-but thanks for everything. good know IA knows something about college :goodjob:

BanginJimmy
05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
between the intern and my dad they turn 300+ hours weekly. if you want money out of school go to uti.

Really, so over a 7 day period they average 150 hours each. That would mean they both were on the clock for 6 days and 6 hours per week. Damn, 18 hours of sleep in a 7 day period is amazing.

Needless to say I am calling BS on this one.

wannab20hatch
05-12-2009, 02:16 PM
its called commission.

Bigt8aford
05-13-2009, 08:02 AM
oh well either way uti is prob a great school, but im working a ingles on minimum wage, there is no way i could afford to go up to the school and then live up there. but if i could have i would, but it ain't going to happen

Greddypacked
05-13-2009, 09:00 AM
oh well either way uti is prob a great school, but im working a ingles on minimum wage, there is no way i could afford to go up to the school and then live up there. but if i could have i would, but it ain't going to happen
Well in that case go to a local school get a grant or hope scholarship (apply thru Fafsa). With the economy so low right now the president sent extra money for grants to support students in college. If you dont make alot of money a year and pay taxes you should be approved. Then you can get most all your classes paid for, get your degree, and a year or two you can say im glad im not bagging groceries being over 20.

Bigt8aford
05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
yeah we applied for fafsa but havent finished the application and i do a lot more than bag but im just tired of what i make not so much the job...