PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any kayakers??

SLOWR/T
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm looking at picking up a kayak here in the next week or two and didn't know if anyone kayaks on here or not. Would like to have someone to go with for the first few time so I don't die lol. Id just be going on Lake Lanier at first just to get use to it.

GIXXERDK
05-07-2009, 06:41 PM
What yak are you looking to get? I have the Wilderness System Tarpon 120. My gf has the pink Venus 11

speedminded
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm looking at picking up a kayak here in the next week or two and didn't know if anyone kayaks on here or not. Would like to have someone to go with for the first few time so I don't die lol. Id just be going on Lake Lanier at first just to get use to it.lol for what? Sea kayak or a creek/play boat?

SLOWR/T
05-07-2009, 10:16 PM
This is one I'm looking at right now but nothing is set in stone yet.
http://www.rei.com/product/784205

speedminded
05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
This is one I'm looking at right now but nothing is set in stone yet.
http://www.rei.com/product/784205Where do you plan on paddling?

SLOWR/T
05-07-2009, 10:47 PM
lake/creek/mild rivers till I learn

speedminded
05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
lake/creek/mild rivers till I learnah gotcha. I'm sure there's good deals on used ones too. Has REI done their spring scratch & dent sale yet?

SLOWR/T
05-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I think that was a month ago. Their having a spring sale right now if I'm not mistaken. Like 20% off most things in the store. I'm gonna check it out Saturday when I get back in town.

GIXXERDK
05-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Why a sit inside yak? I like knowing that my sit on top boat is virtually unsinkable because it has scupper holes. I have been to lakes rivers and even played in the surf, you cant do that in a sit inside unless you have a skirt on. With SOT's you can mod it to your liking. I have rod holders and even a fish finder/GPS on mine.

Princess12
05-08-2009, 09:03 AM
For mild water like you are talking about, the boat you are looking at should do the trick. I sold both of mine last year after a shortage of people to paddle with and a shortage of water lol. Now, I am starting to miss them! Once you get the hang of it, let me know and I can give you some ideas for decent runs! Have fun!!!

SLOWR/T
05-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Why a sit inside yak? I like knowing that my sit on top boat is virtually unsinkable because it has scupper holes. I have been to lakes rivers and even played in the surf, you cant do that in a sit inside unless you have a skirt on. With SOT's you can mod it to your liking. I have rod holders and even a fish finder/GPS on mine.

I will get a skirt. Those are just the ones I have been looking at.

D.Choe
05-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I just went to Sandbar on Broad River last week and it's really mild.

Even though it was pouring down rain it was pretty easy to navigate. Not too many crazy rapids and a couple of mild dropoffs.

It's a pretty chill spot, I'd recommend it. $15 for a kayak rental on a weekday and $20 on the weekend.

http://thesandbarbroadriver.com/index.htm

Subleg4
05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I just went to Sandbar on Broad River last week and it's really mild.

Even though it was pouring down rain it was pretty easy to navigate. Not too many crazy rapids and a couple of mild dropoffs.

It's a pretty chill spot, I'd recommend it. $15 for a kayak rental on a weekday and $20 on the weekend.

http://thesandbarbroadriver.com/index.htm

The sandbar is a good place to go, inexpensive and like he said, very chill. I strap a cooler to the back of my kayak, that helps. There are a few very small drop offs and there used to be a structure built in the middle of the river that you could climp up and flip off of, the last time I was there it was taken down but maybe somebody built a new one. There are also a few huge rocks in the middle that have holes in them that you can literally swim through the rock underwater, its pretty neat, not for those that dont like dark, confined spaces underwater

slow_hatch
05-08-2009, 07:35 PM
I use to boat all the time when I was 14-17, every weekend pretty much. I mainly did play boating/freestyle and competed in a few competitions here in the southeast. Also worked at a outdoor retail shop as a kayak instructor for about 2 yrs. Once I stopped working there I kinda stopped going , and started riding motorcycles and messing with cars. I need to get back into it, I am so out of shape now :(

green91
05-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Find a good deal on two brad and ill start. Ive been searching craigslist daily for stuff lol.

TypeRPersonality
05-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I've been thinking about going kayaking; it seems like a fun hobby. Would you guys recommend the Sandbar as a good place for a beginner? I honestly know next to nothing about kayaking.

Subleg4
05-09-2009, 12:39 AM
The sandbar is perfectly fine for a begginer, but you may as well just do the Chattahoocee, the Dam Store does kayaking and its like $15 and a lot closer than the Broad River, it is a lot more chill than the Broad as well

GIXXERDK
05-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Or you can just shuttle with a friend and float Abbots bridge to Medlock, 4 hr float.