PDA

View Full Version : Pilot School?

Blitanicle99
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
So, I like one class away from my associates degree. I work like 60-70 hours a week and school is getting so old.

I am sorta considering using the rest of the money Ive saved for college and getting my pilots license like Ive wanted to since I was a kid. Family friend was very high up in FAA, ive been in the delta simulators (very very badass btw) and been meaning to get into that.

I have the money, and I know I can make good money once I get my licensing being a instructor getting easy hours and making like 35 bucks an hour.

Anyone considered this or doing this? I am planning on finishing my degree, just thinking of some time off school and something different would be nice.

mocha latte cupcake
05-07-2009, 10:26 AM
editted your spelling of PIOLET to the correct way

Blitanicle99
05-07-2009, 10:27 AM
editted your spelling of PIOLET to the correct way

I knew that shit looked wrong. Even googled it.

F***ing google.

mocha latte cupcake
05-07-2009, 10:29 AM
:lmfao: possible nws idk

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fucking+google

BACK ON TOPIC!

EJ25RUN
05-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Have you flown before?

A Cessna 172 is what i stated on.

Blitanicle99
05-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Have you flown before?

A Cessna 172 is what i stated on.

Nothing with an instructor. My buddies dad flys the governor around and I got to fly a Gulfstream something for like 20 minutes?

EJ25RUN
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Nothing with an instructor. My buddies dad flys the governor around and I got to fly a Gulfstream something for like 20 minutes?

Awesome. If anything, go to one of the local flight schools, they should offer an intro flight where they let you take off and fly around. The instructor will prolly land though. I remember when i did it, it was like ~ $50-$75.

I plan on going commercial within 5 years.

Frög
05-07-2009, 10:39 AM
I am doing it as soon as I graduate.. I have 20 more hours..

Cessna Flight School here I come!!

Already looked into and started booking my schedule..

Blitanicle99
05-07-2009, 11:14 AM
I can't really think of a better job some days....

terminus2k
05-07-2009, 11:26 AM
i wanted to do this forever, but to get completly certified with commercial & CFI you're looking in the 60k range. And the money is OK when you graduate, but it takes forever to actually get seniority at a big airline.

I'll probably get my private's fairly soon, I'd love to make it a full time job thogh

dvlerin41
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
yeah its VERY Expensive to get certified to make money to fly people. I pretty sure you cant charge anyone anything besides like gas money with just a Private. Im in A&P school not and my instructor has like 75 diff ratings including flight instructor, so he gives us a good discount. So I am gonna start my private in July.

slow_hatch
05-07-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't have the money to get my privates, much less to get rotory wing license. I'm probably going to join the ARMY if I qualify to fly and can get that MOS. Cheapest way to do it.

mm2654
05-11-2009, 12:14 AM
I looked into this a few years ago decided not to because it was going to cost about $80,000 including rent. To make things worse you will only make about $35,000 your first year(working part-time on call) if you can even get a job. The good news is that there is a large number of pilots who are getting near the FAA required retirement age so the long term job outlook is better than the immediate job outlook.

Greddypacked
05-11-2009, 08:08 AM
I would finish your degree first, then get your license.

wannab20hatch
05-12-2009, 02:53 AM
one of my buddies went to flight school and got up to fight instructor and quit. he said theres really no money in it unless you already have a foot in the door commercially. best way to do it is to join the armed forcess and log a ton of hours for free.

1.8turbin75
05-21-2009, 11:45 AM
I work for an airline, and I wanted to go to flight school. Then I flew jump seat for the first time. It was not what i thought is was going to be like. I could not see my self putting in an 18 hour day and only get paid for 5 maybe 7 hours. Ya In the future you will get to fly to some cool places, but that's 15 to 30 into your career. Anyway Get you degree first. Technical you could work for an airline with out a degree, but 99% of commercial pilots have one. I know the major airline will not take you with out a degree.

One_Bad_SHO
05-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I don't have the money to get my privates, much less to get rotory wing license. I'm probably going to join the ARMY if I qualify to fly and can get that MOS. Cheapest way to do it.

Also one of the hardest to get assigned to the plane/copter of your choice. Cheapest AND easiest way to do it is to join the RESERVES. That way you pick which aircraft you want to train on (provided you score high enough on your AFAST test). The active duty guys hate the reservists for the fact that when it comes time to gettng assigned, the reservists already know which plane/copter they get as opposed to the active duty guys who all compete for it and just take what they are assigned to.

But goodluck being around long enough to even get the chance as a Reservist. Hope you like hot, sunny, sandy weather. :)

1.8turbin75
05-22-2009, 06:56 AM
I have a co-worker that scored high on the that test and has been waiting got almost a year and a half to go to flight school.

SLOWR/T
05-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I went and flew a cessna around for an hour as a intro flight but I dont have the money and its very hard to get a student loan for it right now. I will have to continue to work for now and save some more.