PDA

View Full Version : Opening Performance Shop (S. Atlanta)

Bballjamal
09-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,

Basically wanted to get everyone's insight and interest on a performance shop opening around the Newnan (Coweta County) area. I'm trying to steer clear of selling exterior and interior items and trying to focus more on engine work, turbo kit and accessory sells, nitrous dealings, superchargers and etc.

So if people could post back with info on what they'd want to see, as in product brands and overall presence of the shop it would be helpful. Also want to see if there are any potential employees on these boards as I want people working with me that are in the scene and not just trying to make an easy dollar in a industry they have no idea about.

So far we're close to finishing out our deal on a mid-large 3-bay garage with office in the middle of downtown Newnan. We've contacted about 3 dynometer companies and are trying to get either the fwd/rwd unit or the awd unit in as soon as possible. Also looking at a couple lifts to get brought in for a good deal also. Everything's going well so far and we just want to get everything laid out before having a random opening around summer 06'.

Thanks a lot for reading and please post back! :goodjob:

Vteckidd
09-28-2005, 06:44 PM
lots of work, time, patience, and money.

your going in the right direction with getting a dyno. its almost a MANDATORY thing to have a dyno in a shop now a days. you need to figure out what your market is, whether is honda/acura/nissan/mitsu/ etc.

the money is not in race and performance, at least not in the beginning. it takes time to establish your credentials and your quality of work. i suggest budgeting some money to build a car that showcases your ability and waht you have to offer whether its a 600 whp turbo honda, 230whp all motor honda, silvia, supra, etc.

dont bank on stocking alot of parts. parts is a tough business and its hard to move inventory.

good luck.

Cool Cat GTR
09-28-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree, parts is a tough business. You're going to have to make most of your money on labor hours. That means some really good techs and they are not easy to recruit when you are first starting out. Be prepared to spend a good bit of money getting started. Equipment isn't cheap. Keep in mind the lead time you might encounter when sourcing harder to find parts too. If you only have enough space for three bays, I sure hope you have a good bit of room outside to move projects that are waiting on parts. It's not uncommon to get into a job and find that something has broken that you can't get right away. Then you have to deal with where you're going to stage the car until the parts come in. That also means your cash flow is going to be tied up until the job is finished. You wouldn't believe me if I told you what it took to get my business self sufficient.

Vteckidd
09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
I agree, parts is a tough business. You're going to have to make most of your money on labor hours. That means some really good techs and they are not easy to recruit when you are first starting out. Be prepared to spend a good bit of money getting started. Equipment isn't cheap. Keep in mind the lead time you might encounter when sourcing harder to find parts too. If you only have enough space for three bays, I sure hope you have a good bit of room outside to move projects that are waiting on parts. It's not uncommon to get into a job and find that something has broken that you can't get right away. Then you have to deal with where you're going to stage the car until the parts come in. That also means your cash flow is going to be tied up until the job is finished. You wouldn't believe me if I told you what it took to get my business self sufficient.
good points.

i have anywhere between 3000-8000$ out on parts if its a BIG build and i have multiple BIG projects that are waiting for parts and machine work. the BIG projects bring money and recognition, but they take time. sure you might make $1500-3000 on a job, but itll take 2-3 months to complete.

htchking
09-28-2005, 08:32 PM
pm sent,i think its a great idea.more the better

i4_garage
09-28-2005, 10:00 PM
i am currently aiding in running a body shop.....we are in the process of opening up into a full peformance and body shop....I agree that parts selling is very hard....since the majority of the customers tend to buy used parts of boot legger....however...anything that is labor extensive tend to bring in more income...and mechanics are easier to recruit as employees ....and body man are very hard to come around....i myself am looking for a good bodyman too...well goodluck on ur future business....

Cliff
09-28-2005, 10:09 PM
lemme know if you need a tire flow cause we are looking for business in newnan peachtree city area now

98cvcex
09-29-2005, 02:43 AM
it is a great idea to open one cause need one in the area.

Bballjamal
09-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Good to hear from everyone on this. Basically for parts I was going to leave it as a, They want, we order type of deal, because I've also heard the same things everyone has mentioned in here. As for the comment on how people usually buy off of "boot leggers" I was thinking of sourcing around GA,AL, and FL for random "stock" goodies that people mostly go for. Having my own stash of used Honda, Nissan, and Toyota engines laying around. And I do have a nicely sized lot out back for safe storage and hideaway projects. Mainly during the winter months I'm going to get the shop looking and operating how I want it to, i.e- get the dyno in, get the security systems going, and get my "prison" style barbed wire fences up. Then I'm calling in some favors on the machining equip and the two lifts I need. From there I'll start to get in employees and hopefully be able to join the Atlanta tuning market around June/July.

Cliff I may be in contact with you throughout the next couple of months to see what we can have going. Do you guys stock wheels too? Looking to get some nice lightweight rims stocked at the shop since I'm also getting into autocross/roadracing.

Also, a big idea of mine was to turn the old Auction off of the Sharpsburg/MCcollom exit off of I-85s into sort of a track area? Would anyone know what would need to get passed or what type of insurance would need to be bought to get this to happen. If anyone has seen it, it's basically a huge lot just asking to be turned into something great. And we all know GA is starving of recreational spots such as that to go let your car loose. I've talked to a couple people in the county courts and they said I should be looking at no less than 5.7million for the area but I think that's a little absurd. Comments?

Htchking- PM sent

htchking
09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
awsome loving the plans....pm sent.

98cvcex
10-02-2005, 11:34 PM
You have some great plans looks like you can probably put some comp on Droopy's boot leggin

Cliff
10-02-2005, 11:36 PM
we don't stock wheels but i will set you up with a friend of the family Atlanta Wheels and they will do you some killer deals on wheels...lemme know when you're ready and i'll get you name of who to talk to and phone #'s...but yea definately keep us in mind cause we could definately use some business and i'm sure our prices won't hurt you too bad either

4dmin
10-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Time + $$$ + good service = :goodjob:

now another major flaw of most tuner shops is location... if you have a hot location and you can stay busy w/ doing tuner work than more power to ya, but many shops need to do general work to pay the bills ;)

Cool Cat GTR
10-03-2005, 05:42 PM
Time + $$$ + good service = :goodjob:

now another major flaw of most tuner shops is location... if you have a hot location and you can stay busy w/ doing tuner work than more power to ya, but many shops need to do general work to pay the bills ;)

You are absolutely correct!!! And most of the time it's work you really don't want to do but IT PAYS THE BILLS. Now complicate the equation with locating good technicians and parts availabilty and you have the correct answer to Controlled Chaos. Hahaha. Lot's of tough decisions for sure. :)

htchking
10-03-2005, 08:40 PM
is ccr even open anymore cuz if it is you guys cant return a price qote worth a shit!! :piss: ccr

Cool Cat GTR
10-04-2005, 06:55 AM
is ccr even open anymore cuz if it is you guys cant return a price qote worth a shit!! :piss: ccr

Open everyday. Not exactly sure what you need but post it up and I will handle. Are you at least eighteen? If not, ask your parents to contact me. What is your name and phone number? I noticed you are from the local area. Do you have any money?

4dmin
10-04-2005, 07:43 AM
Open everyday. Not exactly sure what you need but post it up and I will handle. Are you at least eighteen? If not, ask your parents to contact me. What is your name and phone number? I noticed you are from the local area. Do you have any money?

bahhhh oh shit... see what happens when you call out a shop ;) OWNED!!! +10

tony
10-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Good customer service and reliability is a big plus for me, I'm still looking for a shop that I can trust and go to on a consistent basis without having to wait 5 weeks for an oil change. It sounds like you are on the right track and I hope everything going alright for you. vteckid I'm still going to stop by!!! i just need a new transmission right now.

speedminded
10-04-2005, 11:31 AM
What lifts are you looking for, i'm assuming just twin post above grounds? I have a decent local contact that can hook you up with any size...

Bballjamal
10-07-2005, 11:05 AM
What lifts are you looking for, i'm assuming just twin post above grounds? I have a decent local contact that can hook you up with any size...

Bingo, nothing more than 8000lbs....Cheapest I'm getting so far is 1800-2000(used) which is around the price for new units so I'm still looking. Is it possible to PM that number+name so I can give them a shout? Thanks alot

speedminded
10-07-2005, 11:19 AM
pm'd

bumpsteer
10-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Do you have any money??? what kinda question is that???is it because he is from the local area? does that mean everyone in macon is poor?
granted that htchking made a total jackass post that was totally unneccasary, but that is a fucked up question to ask anybody especially someone that wanted to buy parts from you but you just happened to miss the call/email
maybe thats why i hear so many negative things about your shop? :jerkit:
thats some great customer service you guys got there :goodjob:
and i would hardly call you guys a shop, just another rich guy who bought some skylines and now you got a bunch of ricers and kids humpin your leg

Cool Cat GTR
10-07-2005, 03:51 PM
Do you have any money??? what kinda question is that???is it because he is from the local area? does that mean everyone in macon is poor?
granted that htchking made a total jackass post that was totally unneccasary, but that is a fucked up question to ask anybody especially someone that wanted to buy parts from you but you just happened to miss the call/email
maybe thats why i hear so many negative things about your shop? :jerkit:
thats some great customer service you guys got there :goodjob:
and i would hardly call you guys a shop, just another rich guy who bought some skylines and now you got a bunch of ricers and kids humpin your leg

And you would be? I don't hesitate to identify myself. How about you doing the same. I never understood why folks wanted to hide behind a screen name and bash others. Dude, get a life. If all you have to do is waste your time posting stuff you have absolutely no idea about, you're one sad case.

This thread was about a few of us that took the personal initiative to better ourselves by starting a shop and providing a service to customers that have the interest, desire, ability, and funding to mod their cars. I guarantee you that what you "have heard" comes from a very small group of haters that cannot afford gas for their cars and have NO knowledge of our capabilities or services. IF you "have heard" anything about my business that was negative from an actual customer that would be a revelation but it's certainly not the case. I guess that would make you a liar/hater/dumbass.

It's all good.

Cool Cat Racing
10-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Interesting that "you hear" so you repeat. Are you not capable of thinking for yourself?

This is supposed to be a thread about business. Your comments would be better served in another topic.

Speedm0(\)key
10-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Interesting that "you hear" so you repeat. Are you not capable of thinking for yourself?

This is supposed to be a thread about business. Your comments would be better served in another topic.

exactly

JDMBeau
10-08-2005, 12:37 AM
i didnt read all the replies, but most def. an AWD dyno will bring in some cheese, since i think only batlground is the only one with a AWD dyno right now in the area, i could be wrong though

and also if you market in custom turbo kits/exhaust, and have some work on your own car to show the work you can do will help too

look at mainstream, i think they have been opened like a little over a year and a half, or so, and they are doing exceptionally well considering the time the shop has been opened. find someone good with ECU tuning, and offer that service as well. charge just a little cheaper than cometition, and you will bring in some dough

and if you need any help with workers....PM me oooooooh yea lol

Bballjamal
10-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Again thanks for all the comments. Sad thing is everyone I know that are complete geniuses with ECU work have their own shopps up in Tacoma/Seattle,WA. I've been touring the states for awhile now and spent most of my time up in the NW with the original Batlground crew (from what I know) and HorsepowerFreaks over in Portland. That's a definate must though so I agree. I do think I should get the shop off the ground on a smaller scale until I hire some people who can do that type of work so I can ensure they're paid well :goodjob:

Looking forward to getting this stuff off the ground. Hopefully with my General Motors connections and Import connections throughout the west I can get this stuff done. Soon enough I'll try to get by the other local N. Atlanta shops to develop a relationship so we all know each other well.

Thanks again

GTScoob
10-23-2005, 08:35 PM
i didnt read all the replies, but most def. an AWD dyno will bring in some cheese, since i think only batlground is the only one with a AWD dyno right now in the area, i could be wrong though

Subaru of Gwinnett, Knowledge Performance, Dyno4mance, and Topspeed all have AWD dynoes. I agree with a dyno being a necessity nowadays with a shop. An AWD dyno would definately pull business since Allspeed Imports over in Peachtree City only has a 2WD dyno. Only problem is that I dont see too many Subarus or Evos down in that area of GA.

I dont know too much about opening a performance shop in Newnan. Growing up in Peachtree City, all I ever saw was a bunch of tacky ricy Civics, Cavaliers, and Celicas over there, nothing fast at all. I'm sure you'll make a whole lot of money selling bodykits and euro lights to those kids.

Sounds like a good idea though. Good luck with getting it all started.

YokotaS13
10-28-2005, 11:51 AM
its not just subaru or evos, think abotu DSMS too

dtmcnamara
10-31-2005, 09:16 AM
MANDRILL PIPE BENDER!!! and some GOOD welders. Dont get some no name welder. I have used good and bad welders before. Spend the extra 1-500$ and get the good one. Also make sure to get at least a stick/tig and a mig, oh ya and a good mask, shitty masks are a pain in the neck go all out on it becasue a shitty mask can make your welds worse because you wont be able to see that great.

kppk1986
11-17-2005, 12:55 AM
when you guys opening...

Bballjamal
12-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Shooting for summer 06! We have to get out to Cali/Seattle to get some personal dealers on specific items we want in the shop or want access too if need be. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a good 6mnths after we open for the shop to actually get noticed.

The main thing we're doing is catering to Luxury performance. We've already acquired two repo'ed Z06's and an Audi S4 so we'l be modifying on them pretty hard throughout the winter/spring to get ready for summer promotions. Our house garage will be pretty busy for awhile haha.

JDMBeau
12-18-2005, 09:33 PM
i call bullshit

Dudeman
12-18-2005, 09:35 PM
i call bullshit

:lmfao: quoted for truth, supposedly happened and has been open for four years, story changes everytime i hear.

JDMBeau
12-18-2005, 09:43 PM
any man with a cavi gets no respect from me

Dudeman
12-18-2005, 09:43 PM
ROFL

JDMBeau
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
almost 24 hours and no reply....must be in cali making deals with all the "top names"

Bballjamal
12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
What are you guys talking about? Hansi I swear you talk the most shit, but do the least amount of anything about it.

Tracy
12-19-2005, 08:54 PM
lots of work, time, patience, and money.

your going in the right direction with getting a dyno. its almost a MANDATORY thing to have a dyno in a shop now a days. you need to figure out what your market is, whether is honda/acura/nissan/mitsu/ etc.

the money is not in race and performance, at least not in the beginning. it takes time to establish your credentials and your quality of work. i suggest budgeting some money to build a car that showcases your ability and waht you have to offer whether its a 600 whp turbo honda, 230whp all motor honda, silvia, supra, etc.

dont bank on stocking alot of parts. parts is a tough business and its hard to move inventory.

good luck.

I taught him everything he knows! :)

Tracy
12-19-2005, 09:01 PM
good points.

i have anywhere between 3000-8000$ out on parts if its a BIG build and i have multiple BIG projects that are waiting for parts and machine work. the BIG projects bring money and recognition, but they take time. sure you might make $1500-3000 on a job, but itll take 2-3 months to complete.

I have $20-30K out sometimes! I have to pay my employees every week and sometimes the job takes more than a couple of months due to customers taking a while to bring parts that they have....not to mention the costs of the parts that we have in it. We like to say that you have to pay for all of your parts upfrone, but when it comes down to the fittings and hoses and clamps...you don't want to waste the time waiting on the customer to come and pay for them. It sucks and I hate it. I have a ral issue right now with people not comming to pay their bills for weeks and then bitching about the storage agreement that hey signed when they dropped off the car. If you don't have the money...don't start a project. Simple as that. It's not fair to assume that the shop will come out of pocket for a customers car until they save the money to pay off their bill. Then you have to think about the resale value on the car. Sometimes it comes down to a mechanics lien on the car when someone won't come and pay their bill....do you have more in the car as a shop then what it could sell for???? That's a big thing to think about. I can go on and on...ask Mike. We have had hours of conversations about experiences and how to deal with them and how to not get inot the situation again....

Dudeman
12-19-2005, 09:37 PM
What are you guys talking about? Hansi I swear you talk the most shit, but do the least amount of anything about it.

and by this you mean what? your rebutle sucks minus 10 points for you. thank you try again.

NewGen33
12-19-2005, 10:09 PM
pm'd

Bballjamal
12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
and by this you mean what? your rebutle sucks minus 10 points for you. thank you try again.

Grow up, no one cares for your immature internet call-outs. :jerkit:

Dudeman
12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
its no immature internet call out, i would say the same to your face as i have in the past. the only lack of maturity here is you who continues to mislead people with 1/2 truths, inaccurate facts, and sometime straight up lies. show some proof that this shit is actually happening and not another one of you bullshit stories like ive been hearing since the day i met you, and i might beleive you, but until then why should i let you mislead people and waste their time trying to help you with an exploit that supposedly happened four years ago and now its just starting. stack shit as high as you want but in the end its still shit. now note, nothing immature about this and if you dont like it come and tell me so, as i have said in the past you enjoy either talking behind peoples backs or hiding behind the internet but when it boils down to it you dont have the guts to talk to someone straight up and you def dont have the maturity to not mislead and lie to people so i expect nothing less from the legendary jamal. have a nice day, and i hope this cause you to possibly turn over a new leaf.

Bballjamal
12-19-2005, 10:37 PM
I NEVER talk to you hansi. Never. So stop acting lkike a 16yr old freshman and going by what you're "hearing".

Plain and simple, get a life. While you were going around riding IL members dicks or whoever had the cooler car at the time I was staying true to what I preached. Whether that be being a ricer, being a liar, or anything else you need to tell yourself to make you feel good. There's no reason to prove anything Hansi, I would've expected you to atleast grow up and get over whatever happened with us in the past but we see that's impossible. If you would like to act your age or atleast professional come to my house which is, 10 houses down, sit down with our family and lets talk over this performance shop we're doing. Not that hard. Seriously, head up here tomorrow and we can all talk. There's no lie's no fables. We've spent the last 3-4yrs busting our asses with the rental houses to save up a small fortune just to have this happen. I don't neccesarily know what you're talking about with me making up this shop idea from 4yrs ago, but maybe I did mention it. Its been my dream and now its here, whats wrong with now advertising it?

So again, grow up, its not neccesary to bring up things from 4-5yrs ago when we were in highschool and just starting out in this whole car thing. You don't see me whoring ImportLounge just randomnly talking shit about you? Call me if you have problems (678)416-9475.

Dudeman
12-19-2005, 10:49 PM
not once did i say anything immature youre the one calling names here. im sorry if i wont stop by your house tomorrow but i have a job that i work all day at, and then i have better things to do honestly. im not going by what other people "say" most of the time i get to read convos on AIM you have with people and the rest i have heard (yea your partially right and ill admit it) from people that would gain nothing by lieing about you. dont get all defensive because i stated the facts and you dont like them. i have grown up and i dont care about image but apparently you do if your photoshopping every picture of your car, and video editing every video of your car to have turbos and whatever bullshit you want it to have so you can tell everyone in newnan you got something new so youll be the "king" i dont really care what you think of me, but if you wanna bring up "what happened between us" ill tell the world that it was a simple issue of you running your mouth behind peoples backs because for some odd reason you seem to think your better than everyone. but i dont really care because i have real friends now, like i said earlier im just trying to keep you from wasting peoples precious time. as stated earlier have a nice day.

Bballjamal
12-19-2005, 11:16 PM
not once did i say anything immature youre the one calling names here.

But you're immature for jumping into my thread claiming something you know absolutely nothing about.

im sorry if i wont stop by your house tomorrow but i have a job that i work all day at, and then i have better things to do honestly.

:claps: Better things to do as in.......come onto here and talk shit with your IL buddies?

im not going by what other people "say" most of the time i get to read convos on AIM you have with people

Honestly that's more childish way to do things. Hansi, you think I wake up thinking "what can I say or make up about hansi"? I google "bballjamal" and find BS written about me on IL and you say I'm the one talking shit behind your back? And behind your back? Telling your "true friends" a.k.a your brother and Zach is basically telling you. I tell them to tell you since I have no way of talking to you.

photoshopping every picture of your car, and video editing every video of your car to have turbos and whatever bullshit you want it to have

Photoshop my car as in lowering it? And that puts your panties in a twist? WOW give me a break. And no shit I edit video's of my car. I don't know how to make it seem like I have a turbo yet, but when you get digital altering equip in let me know so I can do that. I've posted my vids everywhere and I NEVER act or say I have a turbo. I don't even want boost because its too much of a headache. Give me a break........

so you can tell everyone in newnan you got something new so youll be the "king"

My car is in seattle, I talk to no one in newnan besides the regular black people who could give a rats ass about modding a car, so this comment is ridiculous. Even so, if people ask what's done to my car I won't be shy to tell them what I've done over the last year. Not like I ringing door bells and making flyers to say I have a body kit and nitrous "woop dee Dooo"

running your mouth behind peoples backs because for some odd reason you seem to think your better than everyone.

Who found who talking shit on IL about that person? Umm yea, I didn't even speak of anyone until I randomnly search for "bballjamal" in google and find BS written about me on IL. Yea, so this comment is ridiculous.

but i dont really care because i have real friends now

That was always your problem, you bust a nut just to have friends. You went from Mini trucks, to imports, to domestics, to 4x4's, to whatever. You always needed the reassurance of some people to call friends. If you recall Hansi, I never really cared what phases you or your bro went through, I was always there just trying to hang out and have fun. That's what I was always about then. Now I'm about making money and having fun. Thus the reason we're starting this shop.

Clearly these previous posts have lowered me a couple levels so let me apologize to the others in this forum.

I'm grown up now, I have two businesses under my belt, I'm making money, and you're still doing you. And that's good, but let me do me, whatever that may be. Good night

nofive-0
12-19-2005, 11:46 PM
From living in Newnan my whole life I definitly wouldnt want to start a business there. Look at some of the other "performance shops" and 4x4 shops around the area. They have all went down the drain. Allbeit that they are mostly half ass parts places they have all mostly went out of business. ORI is the only place that comes to mind that is still in business. They have a full service shop, roughly a 100ft off the interstate, and have backing because they are a chain. Unless you come up with somethin really special I think it is gonna be very hard to break even on any kind of business in Newnan. Look at all the resteraunts and stores that come and go in < 6 months. Mostly locally owned. Anyways you wouldn't have any problems finding welders/fabricaters (I tig and mig) and know many people in the area that could. You better know and be able to work with muscle car people and their cars.

no offense or nothing but Ill believe it when I see it.

Bballjamal
12-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Living here for 4-5yrs I've seen the same. That is also why we aren't going to be 100% reliant on everyday customers to do business with. We'll be handling OEM installs for 5 different Chevrolet/GMC/Pontiac dealerships across GA., (Southtowne, Terry Cullen, Bill heard, Mike Bell, and Dunn Chevrolet over in Alabama) and hopefully that will grow once we get out to California and make deals with the GM SPO. We have it pretty well planned out so far, and if it didn't pop up in the last 5 posts, we've been talking about doing this for atleast 3-4yrs now.

JDMBeau
12-20-2005, 03:29 AM
my bike > than your photoshopped rice bucket

Bballjamal
12-20-2005, 03:21 PM
my bike > than your photoshopped rice bucket

You deffinately need to get a life!

Dudeman
12-20-2005, 06:32 PM
acutally i remember a certain someone making a photoshop with an intercooler in their turboed car LOL and do i need to point out how you photshopped a bumper on your car and did a bad job matching color too. im sorry by jumping in your thread i pissed on your bullshitting parade, my bad. and ive had more people than max come up to me telling me you talk shit about me. and finally anything i have said on IL i have said to your face unlike you. and as far as better things to do hmmm its 732 and i just got home from work where ive been since 7 in the morning, better things to do would be spending time with family and friends and then going to bed so i can go to work tomorrow. i dont feeling like wasting time with you any more it was fun while it lasted and i hope you enjoy life, god bless all and may alah smile on you!

Bballjamal
12-20-2005, 08:26 PM
:blah:

The Ren
12-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Wow Im confused

Bballjamal
12-20-2005, 08:36 PM
HAH, you don't know how confused I am and I'm at the center of it obviously.

RutRoe
12-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Well man, as a Coweta resident, I have to say, I dont think its the right local for it.

People down here aren't spending the money on it and it's too far down it seems to relaly do it right....

We dont have a cluster like Macon, or the northside for you to really survive and really make lots of cash doing it. I know cause I've come close to opening a shop several times before.

All I'm saying is think about your location...there's no need to be in downtown Newnan if you don't have to since closer to the interstate gets a lot more traffic...beats me. I'm 25, I've seen teh effects of the changes of interest and what they've had on businesses, so its your call...but I'd think about going somewhere further north, or that's slightly more affluent with the types of cars you want to deal with.

I'm happy to help you with any questions I can. Not that you need help, but if you have any questions, let me know... I knwo you're from newnan, but to really make that shop survive, you've got to rely on more than just the small import crowd that exists.

JDMBeau
12-21-2005, 06:17 AM
dude....you have nitrous in a caviler LMFAO ROFL MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

i gotta take a shit now

Bballjamal
12-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Well man, as a Coweta resident, I have to say, I dont think its the right local for it.

People down here aren't spending the money on it and it's too far down it seems to relaly do it right....

We dont have a cluster like Macon, or the northside for you to really survive and really make lots of cash doing it. I know cause I've come close to opening a shop several times before.

All I'm saying is think about your location...there's no need to be in downtown Newnan if you don't have to since closer to the interstate gets a lot more traffic...beats me. I'm 25, I've seen teh effects of the changes of interest and what they've had on businesses, so its your call...but I'd think about going somewhere further north, or that's slightly more affluent with the types of cars you want to deal with.

I'm happy to help you with any questions I can. Not that you need help, but if you have any questions, let me know... I knwo you're from newnan, but to really make that shop survive, you've got to rely on more than just the small import crowd that exists.

Living here for 4-5yrs I've seen the same. That is also why we aren't going to be 100% reliant on everyday customers to do business with. We'll be handling OEM installs for 5 different Chevrolet/GMC/Pontiac dealerships across GA., (Southtowne, Terry Cullen, Bill heard, Mike Bell, and Dunn Chevrolet over in Alabama) and hopefully that will grow once we get out to California and make deals with the GM SPO. We have it pretty well planned out so far, and if it didn't pop up in the last 5 posts, we've been talking about doing this for atleast 3-4yrs now.

Going back to that post^^.

We aren't going to rely on business from this tuner market for 100% income. We basically have it branched out into 3-4 different things.

-OEM Install for GM
-Buy mid-luxury cars (auction and Gov't repo) and modify them to sale (not my idea)
-Tuner market
-Detail and minor bodywork

And the most income we'll see for the starting year or so will easily be from the deal we have going with GM. Next would probably be online sales of the modified cars, and then on to the Tuner thing and detail aspect.

We aren't sweating it at all. No matter how bad newnan looks now in 4-5yrs it will be the next marietta/alpharetta. Atlanta is steady expanding North and now they're coming back down south with development. Coweta and S. Fulton county this year alone spent 89.4million on new housing development. Anyone in newnan knows the chain of cluster homes they're building all around the outside mall/plaza area.

We're looking at it in multiple aspects which is the way to get through things like this. No one would invest $500k+ into a business without mass research.

burnout1990
12-23-2005, 09:40 PM
need any employees? lol good luck with everything, pretty much all advice has been said already ...

Dr.G35
12-24-2005, 01:00 AM
it would be interesting to see a shop down here. the closest place right now for people to go would be fayettville to auto rage and ive heard some bad things from them. g/l with the business, it will be interesting.

Bballjamal
12-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Actually the closest and best shop is in peachtree city (AllSpeed) but they're extremely expensive. I think they quoted me $150 for a dyno run when I called last month. While up in seattle I payed at the most $50 for a dyno run only because so many shops around there had them and testing was almost an everyday thing for them.

If we can go ahead and get this thing done with land and sea equip., we can get a portable (above ground) dyno that would work just as good as most in ground. Then we can have cheaper prices than our competitor and be able to move it around to random car shows or test and tunes at tracks.

GTScoob
12-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Actually the closest and best shop is in peachtree city (AllSpeed) but they're extremely expensive. I think they quoted me $150 for a dyno run when I called last month. While up in seattle I payed at the most $50 for a dyno run only because so many shops around there had them and testing was almost an everyday thing for them.

Allspeed is decent at best. I've just never felt welcome there, I always feel like they are trying to sell me something. I'd rather go to a shop and chill with the owner and talk shop before talking sales. It's been a while since I've been there but I believe they used to charge $50 for ONE dyno pull, I guess $150 would be about right since everybody else does sets of three pulls.

They hooked me up with a great price on Autometers so I cant really complain.

Dr.G35
12-25-2005, 12:57 AM
where is allspeed at in p.c.?

JDMBeau
12-25-2005, 04:25 AM
Actually the closest and best shop is in peachtree city (AllSpeed) but they're extremely expensive. I think they quoted me $150 for a dyno run when I called last month. ]

thats because you drive a cavi, and they dont want to waste thier time for 120 WHP with nitrous

Bballjamal
12-25-2005, 06:53 AM
where is allspeed at in p.c.?

Well if you're coming from I-85 and you get off the Tyrone exit just head into peachtree city, cross over the main intersection in ptc and head to I think is the next light. Turn right and head over the railroad tracks and make a left in the business complex right after the tracks. SHould be Fritz's audio and Allspeed right there.

thats because you drive a cavi, and they dont want to waste thier time for 120 WHP with nitrous

:rly:

You're like the lame ass kids that still quote and poke fun at FnF and try to get laughs out of everyone! Grow up kid :lmfao:

429bigblock
12-25-2005, 11:05 AM
personally i think you all have small #'s tell me when you have 370 hp stock

quickdodgeŽ
12-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Who cares what you think. Later, QD.

JDMBeau
12-25-2005, 04:07 PM
:rly:

You're like the lame ass kids that still quote and poke fun at FnF and try to get laughs out of everyone! Grow up kid :lmfao:

you just mad cause my car makes more power stock than yours does with nitrous and PnP head that you probally did your self with a dremal tool, or some shit like that....where is this performace shop at cod? still aint seen shiaaat

TIGERJC
12-25-2005, 04:55 PM
I wish u good luck in your new business. im so happy to get a shop on this side of town, if ur up on working on a mr2. i might bring it by to get some work done, b/c i cant find anybody to work on my car in south atlanta.

Dudeman
12-26-2005, 01:50 AM
Allspeed is decent at best. I've just never felt welcome there, I always feel like they are trying to sell me something. I'd rather go to a shop and chill with the owner and talk shop before talking sales. It's been a while since I've been there but I believe they used to charge $50 for ONE dyno pull, I guess $150 would be about right since everybody else does sets of three pulls.

They hooked me up with a great price on Autometers so I cant really complain.

allspeed almost killed me and matt because of their shitty work ethic, theyre overpriced and unprofessional. possibly one of the worst shops i know about. fuck tards cant even put a car back together after they take it apart.

Bballjamal
12-26-2005, 10:49 AM
allspeed almost killed me and matt because of their shitty work ethic, theyre overpriced and unprofessional. possibly one of the worst shops i know about. fuck tards cant even put a car back together after they take it apart.

That sucks! Guess I didn't deal with them long enough to find that out!

GTScoob
12-26-2005, 12:11 PM

Jim? Yeah I remember hearing that story from you.

PSINXS
12-26-2005, 12:33 PM
If u need some help with customer service let me know.

Dudeman
12-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Jim? Yeah I remember hearing that story from you.

my name's hansi, but there was another incident like that?wow sounds like i may talk to matt about a lawyer. anyhow they were supposed to put a new clutch in his car bc it went out one day and he didnt have the time to do it, so he had it towed to them and they took forever doing it, like a month of something like that. anyhow they didnt put the cotter pin in or they didnt do it right or something and the suspension collapsed while we were driving and were jerked off the road. ill see if he still has pics from it.

JDMBeau
12-26-2005, 05:24 PM
my name's hansi, but there was another incident like that?wow sounds like i may talk to matt about a lawyer. anyhow they were supposed to put a new clutch in his car bc it went out one day and he didnt have the time to do it, so he had it towed to them and they took forever doing it, like a month of something like that. anyhow they didnt put the cotter pin in or they didnt do it right or something and the suspension collapsed while we were driving and were jerked off the road. ill see if he still has pics from it.
LMFAO that happened here in rome with a local guy putting a new tranny in a b16 hatch, left off the cotter pins was driving down the road with one of his buddies about 40 MPH and the axle and whole wheel hub including the wheel just like all came out and they cut like a half semic circle or some shit into a parking lot LOL

Dr.G35
12-27-2005, 04:00 AM

who the hell cares what you think? tell me when you have a car with 415 hp stock then we'll talk.

GTScoob
12-27-2005, 01:48 PM

Oh alright, another horror story :rly:

BlkTegGsr
01-06-2006, 03:22 AM

im close i got 305 and equal in torque :P ford baby!

91crxsi
01-07-2006, 02:34 PM
that is exactly what the Newnan-Coweta County area needs is a performance shop. everyone i know that has potential of tuning their car has to drive all the way to Marietta to get work done. ive been living here 8 years and been in the scene for 4 years now, and it would make a big difference around here to have something like that. so good luck with it, and i know exactly where your talking bout opening it. downtown in the court square right? thats a hot spot. peace

Tank
01-07-2006, 05:00 PM
you know i have always said if someone opened a good shop in South Atlanta they would make a killing and id glady let them sponsor my supra "oh snap theres a plug-in"

but its a great idea bro

Dr.G35
01-08-2006, 09:38 PM
you know i have always said if someone opened a good shop in South Atlanta they would make a killing and id glady let them sponsor my supra "oh snap theres a plug-in"

but its a great idea bro

no kidding, id let them sponsor my si, if they wanted to :D

Bballjamal
01-09-2006, 04:05 PM
This is it, Not in the square, but in between the Newnan Clinic (not hospital) and the Drivers License place(or church's chicken).

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1161/shoplocation8rh.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shoplocation8rh.jpg)

yeaiwonder88
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Go for it ill stop by im a resident of newnan......