PDA

View Full Version : 92 talon help. gen info?

joshk5145
05-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I hope i'm not posting this up prematurely. the thing is tomorrow i/m supposed to be trading my camaro for a 92 eagle talon tsi. i don't know much of anything about dsm's. i've always been a honda guy. Plus i've never had a turbo car. for the info
Chassis has 150,000 miles, Motor and 5-speed transmission has been rebuilt, 16g turbo swap, turbo header, front mount intercooler kit, turbox blow off valve, new flywheel and clutch kit, new starter, new fuel filter, walboro 255 fuel pump, stock 450 cc injectors, and if you want more info., New rad, high pro plugs and wires.
motor sounds to be cammed the guy i'm gettin it from doesn't know anything about the internals he bought it this way. i believe it's the original motor. What i want to know is there anything i should look out for. Are these pretty good cars. just lookin for some kinda info. any help is greatly appreciated

qwick
05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
check these sites.

www.team-2g.com

www.georgiadsm.com

WANTED
05-03-2009, 10:40 AM
DSM's are great cars if they're taken care of. They have a reputation of being prone to failure, but this is by people who beat the living piss out of them and don't do regular maintenance.

You getting a FWD or an AWD tsi? (just curious is all). I've had a few AWD dsm's now and and my Evo 8 and I've enjoyed them all.

The most crucial and common area of failure I've seen is the timing belt and balance shaft belt (unless the balance shafts have been eliminated). It MUST be changed every 60k, otherwise the car is a ticking time bomb.
Also, as this is your first turbo car, remember to use good oil and to always warm up and cool down your car for 30 seconds to a minute to aid in the turbo's longevity. Also, avoid the cheap oil filters (i.e. napa and and pepboys' brand and such). I've seen a couple of them fail with catastrophic results.

For any questions you may have about them, there is a DSM VFAQ online that is extremely useful as well as quite a few dsm forums with some very knowledgeable people.

joshk5145
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the info guys. i'll post pics and vids with sound as soon as i get it. (as long as the loan company approves it tomorrow lol) unfortunately it's fwd i wish i had the awd. i test drove it yesterday and without really meaning to i roasted first and then went on into second and it balled them effortlessly. although the roads were a little damp that might have helped but we'll see when the roads dry up

schia89
05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
these cars are pretty fast. theyre pretty good cars if you know what your doin. they have a bad rep because of the owners screwin with the cars tend to mess the motor up. if you dont know how to work on it then leave it to someone who does.

Motivation
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
these cars are pretty fast. theyre pretty good cars if you know what your doin. they have a bad rep because of the owners screwin with the cars tend to mess the motor up. if you dont know how to work on it then leave it to someone who does.

:no: They have a bad rep because people that own them use cheap quality parts and don't build them right for the most part. They are easy to make power on them but when you do that with out quality parts, the life span shortens.

Also, always keep an eye on the timing belt. That is what snapped on mine and I am using it for an excuse to completely build everything.

Also, everyone says if you don't know how to work on them, then leave it alone... How the hell are you supposed to learn how to work on them if you never mess with them? In all honesty, if you ARE willing to get your hands dirty and turn some wrenches when something goes wrong, then go for it. Before I bought mine I really had no clue on what I was doing... Now I can do most of the work myself on the car.

You'll be able to tell if it is cammed or not. I would get a balance shaft delete kit. It'll save you some trouble in the future. Also, safc2 at least if it is not tuned with anything. Maybe bigger injectors, also. Enjoy the DSM.

VFAQ.com will be your best friend.
GADSM.org (awesome guys, very knowledgeable!)
DSMTALK.com
DSMTUNERS.com

schia89
05-03-2009, 01:50 PM
:no:

Also, everyone says if you don't know how to work on them, then leave it alone... How the hell are you supposed to learn how to work on them if you never mess with them? In all honesty, if you ARE willing to get your hands dirty and turn some wrenches when something goes wrong, then go for it. Before I bought mine I really had no clue on what I was doing... Now I can do most of the work myself on the car.

maybe what i said came out wrong. your right get your hands dirty BUT get some help from someone whos experienced or do alot of research before you do something

joshk5145
05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
thanks for the info. i'm not afraid to get my hands dirty i've done alot of work with hondas from axles to motors to tranny swaps and conversions. just never messed with a dsm or turbo'd cars. i always do my research just so i get it done right i really don't like paying other people to work on my cars and then it still not be right. i really appreciate the info i'll def look into the eliminate kit. what would you recommend a safe boost level be since i don't really kno about the cars internals the guy told me he has the boost controller at 15psi. i'm really lookin for aftermarket boost guages. not too fond of the stock one. so if anyone has suggestions on good ones or one for sale i would greatly appreciate it. hope this all goes through tomorro

1badgvr4
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
If your looking for a boost gauge i would go with the prosport gauges........http://prosportgauges.com/52mm-boost-gauge.aspx

2turbo4u
05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Get the boost gauge first, how does the owner knows he's boosting 15psi? She might have a manual boost controller on her?

koi
05-09-2009, 01:58 AM
First mod you should do is maintenance. No excuses. It will be the best mod you will end up doing. Also, You can go fast with out going big. In other words. keep your 16g and get the most out of your setup before you go with a bigger turbo. That is something most new dsm'ers never seem to do anymore.