PDA

View Full Version : What I did Tonight

DavidV
05-02-2009, 09:43 PM
So, tonight me and my dad went out to test drive my car to see how it was running. Yesterday we drove it for about 20 minutes with no problems, until we got home. When it was sitting in my driveway, still running, the engine temp shot up and it was leaking antifreeze. We were testing today to see if the radiator fan was turning on or not, but didn't get to check that due to problems on the road.
After about 10 minutes of driving, we started to get electrical issues. The speed and tach gauges were quickly dropping down to 0 and then back up. That happened for a few minutes, continually getting worse and happening more. So we were in Cumming (exit 14) on the bridge about to take a left to go south on 400. At the red light to turn onto the highway, we lost power. It wouldnt turn over and the lights on the dash went dim. Luckily the hazards still had power because we were in the middle of the turn lane going nowhere. So we called a tow truck, which took 20 minutes to get there. And out of like 500 cars that passed, only two asked if we needed help, and one said, "Well That Sucks," which kind of made me laugh. So now tomorrow I have some problems to fix. My guess is its the alternator, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

Now my mile to tow truck ratio since we got the engine in is about 50 miles to 1 tow truck. This is the second tow truck we had to call. hehe

Scotsman
05-02-2009, 09:45 PM
moved to proper place , i am assuming it is the prelude in your sig?

DavidV
05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
moved to proper place , i am assuming it is the prelude in your sig?

Yup, I have a build thread on here, http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219815

Thanks for moving it, I wasn't quite sure where it went.

schia89
05-02-2009, 09:50 PM
man 2 out of 500. i probably would of passed u too lol. but it sounds like the alternator but did you figure out where the antifreeze was leakin from?

DavidV
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Thats what we set out to find out. It only leaks when its hot, so we were getting it hot. We think the second fan in the radiator isn't turning on when it gets hot, so that probably has something to do with it. So we don't know exactly where it is, but my dad thinks its from a hose that goes around the engine, he says its probably a clamp not working correctly under pressure.

Scotsman
05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
man 2 out of 500. i probably would of passed u too lol. but it sounds like the alternator but did you figure out where the antifreeze was leakin from?i'd def have the Alt tested

Echonova
05-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Replace the Honda. That should fix your problems.

DavidV
05-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Replace the Honda. That should fix your problems.
:no:

Scotsman
05-02-2009, 10:02 PM
:no:lol , dont mind him , he is a 240 owner:tongue1:

j0natell0
05-02-2009, 10:41 PM
i had the same problems. it was the alternator. best bet is to get it tested and ur battery tested too.

DavidV
05-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Its a brand new battery,so it's probably the alternator

boostedb16
05-02-2009, 10:53 PM
i kinda had the same problem. first the parts store said it was my battery and then alternator. so get both and you should be good.

Bruce Leroy
05-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Where is the coolant coming from? The radiator cap?

browningboy7
05-02-2009, 10:54 PM

I've bought quite a few new batteries that were shit...Have it tested as well.

DavidV
05-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Where is the coolant coming from? The radiator cap?

Its coming from the bottom of the engine bay, in between the wheels.

Theycall_Metue
05-02-2009, 11:23 PM
if it was the alternator, it'll drain ur battery dry and lead to your hazard lights wont turn on.its something else, anti-freeze maybe leaking from a bad gasket, cheak your fan by, turning your air on from inside and if it works... the fan should kick in about 5-10min

Barefoot
05-03-2009, 03:30 AM
ok if u have a anti freeze leak dont try to find the leak by driving it. get a radiator compression tester. it will show where the leak is hot or cold. going off your build thread i figured yall would know that.

for the power issue the car should start off a jump then died the second the cables are pulled. if that happens id be looking at the alt. if not its not the problem.

RoadMagnet
05-03-2009, 09:32 AM
ok if u have a anti freeze leak dont try to find the leak by driving it. get a radiator compression tester. it will show where the leak is hot or cold. going off your build thread i figured yall would know that.

for the power issue the car should start off a jump then died the second the cables are pulled. if that happens id be looking at the alt. if not its not the problem.

x2 with all of it.

DavidV
05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Yup, the electrical issue was the alternator, now onto other things. Thanks for your guys help. I already made another post about my clutch initiation.