PDA

View Full Version : Its legal to have...

Brian*
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
A police scanner? I'm just wondering before I buy one off my friend, he said just don't get caught with it... So that made me wonder? If anyone knows, let ME know please*

I was messing with it earlier and some dude was selling a bag of pot in the Auto Zone parking lot LMAO

Princess12
05-01-2009, 04:52 PM
I own one... if it's illegal, oops!

I wouldn't think it is though... you can listen to police radio online.

PURP
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I think it's only illegal to have in the car and using it. But, if you're using it at home, then that's fine

Brian*
05-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I own one... if it's illegal, oops!

I wouldn't think it is though... you can listen to police radio online.

Oh ok, I figured because he bought this one from Radio Shack... But I just didn't want to get into any more trouble LOL

Keebs ð¿ð
05-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Spiderman had one in his apartment and he never got in trouble for it. So I guess it's all good

Brian*
05-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Awesome, rep 4 y'all*

Brian*
05-01-2009, 05:01 PM
"you have given out to much rep in the past 24 hours" DAMMIT! lol

BobbyFresco
05-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Spiderman had one in his apartment and he never got in trouble for it. So I guess it's all good

:lmfao:

I don't know why but this made me laugh.

green91
05-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Its not illegal to own one or even have it in your car. That however doesn't mean the officers wont give you shit for listening lol.

hondachik
05-01-2009, 09:42 PM

but that was a hollywood movie.........................:screwy:

IMPORTchic
05-01-2009, 09:48 PM
My grandparents have one, but I think they said that you arn't suppose to have it? Idk. I have heard both.

green91
05-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks, you really cleared things up.

stillaneon
05-02-2009, 01:45 PM
"If you listen to radio transmissions on your scanner, such as emergency service reports, you are not in violation of Section 705. However, a violation of Section 705 would occur if you divulge or publish what you hear or use it for your own or someone else''s benefit. An example of using an intercepted call for a beneficial use in violation of Section 705 would be someone listening to accident reports on a police channel and then sending his or her tow truck to the reported accident scene in order to obtain business."

They are not regulated by law in GA. However, many jurisdictions are converting to digital scanners which require newer (sometimes more expensive) monitoring equipment. I suspect that if you use a scanner to further a criminal activity and they can prove it, you will be in a "heap of trouble boy".

hope this helps

BobbyFresco
05-02-2009, 01:48 PM
but that was a hollywood movie.........................:screwy:

Do you think, and this a merely a reeeeeeeeeally wild idea of mine but, that maybe, just maybe, there was some humor involved in his post and he wasn't speaking literally?

Keebs ð¿ð
05-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Do you think, and this a merely a reeeeeeeeeally wild idea of mine but, that maybe, just maybe, there was some humor involved in his post and he wasn't speaking literally?

That's silly. Of course I was being serious. I met spiderman at Universal Studios... He is real :D

BobbyFresco
05-02-2009, 01:51 PM
That's silly. Of course I was being serious. I met spiderman at Universal Studios... He is real :D

Lulz....

Did you get his autograph?:lmfao:

JConner
05-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes its legal...ive had one for years. Just upgraded to a digital scanner to listen to Cobb co. when I moved here to Kennesaw. I take mine everywhere! I did a ride along with a cop last weekend for Kennesaw PD and he said if I got pulled over with it theres not a problem but the cop will probably wonder what I need a scanner for.

PS. What county/s are you trying to listen to? Programming them can be pretty difficult if you want to program them right (for motorola "trunked" systems). Let me know if you need any help, i have software on my computer that makes programming a breeze.

01CDMLUDER
05-02-2009, 03:25 PM
It's only illegal if u use it during/for a crime. Go to scanamerica.com and u can listen to scanners for free