PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Laptop is overheating? (Please Help)

Blitanicle99
04-30-2009, 03:07 PM
So, like 3 years ago I bought a laptop for college at wally world.

Its a Toshiba A-135.

Duo Core, 80 gig, all that. I am running Dual boot with Ubuntu and tiny XP.

Basically, now the fan is running CONSTANTLY. It did not do that before, and my roomates (has the same laptop) doesn't do that at all. I know for a fact he treats his like shit but his never runs the fan ( I am always fixing it so I would know)

Anyways, no where I put my palms is pretty hot, like almost uncomfortable to lay my palms on.

I have no more walmart warrenty on it, but the Toshiba warrenty should still be intact.

Is this a problem? Should I take this thing somewhere to be looked at?

I mean shit I woke up at 4 in the morning to hear my fan ROARING on the laptop like it was overheating or something.

Input would be appreciated....

AE86Raptor
05-01-2009, 01:14 AM
More than likely, you don't even have the warranty through Toshiba, since those are only one year unless you bought and extended warranty through them. I'd first look and see if there is any dust around the intake ducts and blow it out with a can of air. Another thing I'd check is to see if the Intel chip even throttles down. I know AMD chips with PowerNow it can throttle the processor speed. I'd also check and see if there are any processes that are using an abnormal amount of memory and also what the CPU load is.

mimakiman11
05-01-2009, 02:36 AM
^Sounds like the fan could be going out soon.

dorin48
05-01-2009, 02:06 PM
This is a common problem with this modle. Just needs to be disassembled and cleaned with a liquid free compressed air like the one from CRC. There may not appear to be dust on anything but you'll be surprised where that stuff can hide. Also I've heard of the thermal paste drying out on the heat sinks. Thats even more likely if the temps are really getting up there.

Paul
05-01-2009, 08:22 PM
i would turn it off unplug it take the battery out use compressed air and blow out everything - turn it back on make sure it is sitting where it can get air flow; also keep it off of anything that wont' distribute heat. see if that changes anything.

i wouldn't suggest cracking the case on a laptop unless you really feel comfortable doing it.

Enthwar
05-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I work in computer repair. Really the only thing you can do yourself is clean out the laptop of all the dust (might be causing the processor to heat up too much), update the BIOS, or check in the BIOS to see if there is any fan settings (doubtful).

Like other people said it can heat up under intense use, but a restart should fix it.

Other than that you can take it to a repair center and get a estimate on repair.

ttman
05-08-2009, 01:58 PM
just blowing IN from all the vents/fans may or may not help since the gunk on the inside is not getting out. best thing to do is un-assemble the laptop so u can see the MB & fans then use compressed air to blow it clean. while it's open clean off & re-apply new thermal paste to the CPU.

note: if u have not un-assembled a laptop before I don't recommend it, the plastic pieces are easy to crack if u don't know what yer doing.

mmmmpsi
05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
just blowing IN from all the vents/fans may or may not help since the gunk on the inside is not getting out. best thing to do is un-assemble the laptop so u can see the MB & fans then use compressed air to blow it clean. while it's open clean off & re-apply new thermal paste to the CPU.

note: if u have not un-assembled a laptop before I don't recommend it, the plastic pieces are easy to crack if u don't know what yer doing.

I was just going to say.. telling someone who obviously has never taken apart a laptop to do so is NOT a good idea at all..

Blowing air in is not a bad idea and hey if it fixes the problem then you're golden.. I would try that first before going any further.. Very rare with a laptop though that a lot of dust is going to get in there just because they are so tightly packed in the first place.. This happens more so with desktop computers..

I would say it's more than likely even though your fan is running, it's probably not running at it's original speed and it's probably the bearings themselves that are fux0red so the fan or fans themselves need to be replaced..