PDA

View Full Version : Have an Oil Leak, need help diagnosing.

blacknightteg
04-28-2009, 04:46 PM
so i noticed a few minutes ago that i have an oil leak. its not where near the oil pan and i cant see anything from the top. i look to the left of it and i see a dried up build up of oil. im assuming around the clutch? forgive my ignorance. can anyone help me figure this out. sorry for the lack of info.

mocha latte cupcake
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
yes lack of info is correct. sigh

check from the top down davison...

valve cover gasket
distributor
manifolds
pcv
blowby hoses

*best thing to do is actually spend time CLEANING your engine bay then check it every day or so its ALOT easier to see things that way*

also, oil filter/housing

blacknightteg
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah, i know. sorry about the lack of info, its just that im not too good with engines and what not so i dont really know what to expect or look for. i looked to see where it was dripping from and im ASSUMING its near the clutch, not 100% correct. its on more of the middle/passenger side of the car.

Black4DrEK
04-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Its not coming from the CLUTCH!!

do what the OP said and pressure wash the motor, check in a few days!

ACTUALLY take a pic and post up exactly what your talkin bout!

o and when you pressure wash it or hose wash , cover the dizzy and alt with plastic bag or somethin!

turbob20
04-28-2009, 11:55 PM
cam plug seal, or dizzy seal, will leak and run down the motor and tranny seperation line where they are bolted together and when dirt an debris collect on it it builds up like this.

Sammich
04-29-2009, 07:52 AM
take a pic of where you are talking about. but if its coming from your 'clutch' then its your rear main oil seal. you change it when you do your clutch normally cuz the trans has to come off, so in most cases its a preventative maintenance. since you said you are rebuilding your engine soon, replace your clutch and the rear main oil seal.

but it could also be your cam plug...is the oil leaking on the ground? also i have a write up on detailing the engine and its not necessary to cover the dizzy cover or alternator, if u want the write up hit me up and ill find it for you

seanrg1116
04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
most likely honda leaks

distributor o-ring
cam plug (seal)
Valve cover
Oilpan gasket

in your case im betting on the o-ring or cam seal

wipe your fingers on the underside of the dizzy, if the o-ring is bad your hand will be dirty

cam seal is behind the vtach solinoid on a b-series

im_hung
04-29-2009, 10:33 AM
could be rear main. take the clutch inspection cover off and check...

Sport1.3
04-29-2009, 10:34 AM
yep...you got an oil leak

time for a new engine

Grimm Reeper
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
any updates :thinking:

ksniperfox
04-29-2009, 10:54 AM
most likely honda leaks

distributor o-ring
cam plug (seal)
Valve cover
Oilpan gasket

in your case im betting on the o-ring or cam seal

wipe your fingers on the underside of the dizzy, if the o-ring is bad your hand will be dirty

cam seal is behind the vtach solinoid on a b-series

this man speaks troof!

blacknightteg
04-29-2009, 11:37 AM
thanks guys. ill be looking into it probably at some point this weekend. i am probably going to jsut rebuild my engine, im pretty much deciding on that.

Sammich
04-29-2009, 11:47 AM
if ur decided on rebuilding..then why you gota thread on where to get another engine?

seanrg1116
04-29-2009, 12:28 PM
^^^^^^lol

I noticed that to.

do you even know what kind of compression numbers your motor has. before you go rebuilding it

mahdsports
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
if its a honda then it could only be leaking from valve cover, vtec solenoid, dist. oring, rear main seal, oil pan, seals at the front of the engine(including balance shaft), pcv canister at the back of the block and oil filter housing. you will have to trace the residue. if the residue is too much, then clean, drive and try to retrace. pretty much most engines will work like that. you have the front(timing belt side), rear(tranny side), top(valve covers, misc) and backside(oil coolers or filter housings). all have seals. some are easy to get to, but front and rear are the most time consuming. good luck.

blacknightteg
04-29-2009, 03:02 PM
if ur decided on rebuilding..then why you gota thread on where to get another engine?

cause i thought about it and i need something to role around so im just going to buy a used and rebuild it. while i have my car to drive.

blacknightteg
04-29-2009, 08:33 PM
bump

turbob20
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
vancem3m3 has some blocks and stuff. ls and gsr.

a94civicex
05-01-2009, 02:46 PM
im kinda having the same problem with my 94 civic ex....pulled out the factory motor due to bottom end knock....replaced it with the same d16z6 motor but with only 80k miles....since its been done for only 2 weeks ive been trying to trace this oil leak that im having....its not coming from the valve cover, distributer cap, dizzy or vtec solenoid....im really just hoping that its the oil filter seal because im not sure if the mechanic changed it out or not because the dummy didnt tighten down my oil plug on the pan....i dont think its coming from the oil pan either....when im under the car you can see where the oil is dripping a little from around the tranny where it bolts up to the motor....im not sure if theres a rear main seal or not....will someone get back with me and let me know what it could be before i start paying out alot of money and let me know what i should look for....i did clean the motor up but it started dripping oil again and its hard to trace when im not sure exactly what im looking for.... thanks guys