PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! My car is going HAYWIRE!

k20ej8
04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
ok so i have a serious issue. My car will not stay on that long after i jump it for a looong time. It has a brand new alternator and a brand new starter. After it is jumped it is fine then i start to drive it and a good 5 minutes later the speedometer lights start to dim and the headunit cuts on and off and the headlights start to flicker. When i noticed that start to happen i pulled into the garage and it just cut off. Jumped it again and drove for a while to see if its ok, then after a good trip around the neighborhood it started doing it again. parked in the garage let it idle for 5 mins, cut it off, and tried to start again but no start. It did have an electrical issue about a couple weeks ago. The tailight wires were burnt from putting a high fuse into the fuse box and the wires were fried but we got that fixed. Could it be a bad ground? help IA.
btw, the car is a 96 civic with b20b. also the alternator light wont even come on when key is half way turned

schia89
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
how bout your battery?

punkr6
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
crank it up and pull the negetive side battery cable off while its running, if it dies the alternator is bad. if you rode around with a dead battery you probly killed the alternator. If its not that look at all your grounds and check the battery again.

SUBY_RUE
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Your running off the battery, Check the alt you just put on, and make sure the wireing is right...

1civic
04-25-2009, 09:42 PM
Make sure the Alternator is putting out voltage, Use a Volt meter to see, Just cause it's new don't mean its good, Check at the Alternator and also at the Batt. If it shows 14 volts at the Alternator but not 14 at the Batt while running there is a break in the Wiring..
:cheers:
Hope that helps!!

ksniperfox
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Your running off the battery, Check the alt you just put on, and make sure the wireing is right...

x2.

take it back to whoever put the alternator on, or a different shop to get a 2nd and honest opinion. or if you did it, re check everything yourself. sounds like your alternator still isnt effective.

Black4DrEK
04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes you have a short some place, or a ground not on, also alternator!

I hade this problem long time ago... found out it wa TWO wires touching eachother!!

Gl man

k20ej8
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
x2.

take it back to whoever put the alternator on, or a different shop to get a 2nd and honest opinion. or if you did it, re check everything yourself. sounds like your alternator still isnt effective.

im sure its put on right, ill re-check everything. but a short could be causing my alternator to fuck up? and not work? i mean, the alternator light doesnt even come on when the key is half way turned

k20ej8
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Yes you have a short some place, or a ground not on, also alternator!

I hade this problem long time ago... found out it wa TWO wires touching eachother!!

Gl man

any input on where i should be looking? where did you find yours, and how long did it take you to find it?

silversol
04-26-2009, 05:47 PM
make sure you check all the fuses! i had a similar issue and swap the alternator. and it turned out to just be a poped fuse!

k20ej8
04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
ok so a miracle just happend. i just went outside to check the volts and jumped the car and there was a really loud screach coming from driverside bay area. idk wth it is. but i do know that my alternator belt is hitting the timing belt cover and it broke a hole in it so it could spin. its still spinning good but just cut the timing belt cover up. I can now take the negative terminal off and the car will still be on. but when i turn off the car and turn it half way again the battery charging light is still not on?? and when i start the car agian that screech is still there.. what could that screech be? it is very loud. i will make a video of it if i can.

here are the volts.

1 - 9.87 with the engine off
2 - 13.91 warming up
3 - 13.15 with engine warmed up headlights on and ac blasted

greengolfbal
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
sounds crazy, but are you sure you put the belt back on correctly?? Make sure it is lined up in the center of all of your pulleys

Black4DrEK
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
make sure the belt it TIGHT!!!

C-loS109
04-27-2009, 08:03 PM
had this problem... took my battery to get it tested. it came out good. tested my alternator and it was good. tested everything possible and everything came out good. so i was going to change everything so i changed my battery first. and now i dont have the problem.

1civic
04-27-2009, 08:09 PM
when i start the car agian that screech is still there.. what could that screech be? it is very loud. i will make a video of it if i can.

here are the volts.

2 - 13.91 warming up

It's charging but the Batt is bad.. The noise could be the belt, make sure its tight and not hitting anything.. :cheers:

k20ej8
04-27-2009, 09:06 PM
had this problem... took my battery to get it tested. it came out good. tested my alternator and it was good. tested everything possible and everything came out good. so i was going to change everything so i changed my battery first. and now i dont have the problem.

i heard this is a common problem for 96-00 civics. and i just got this battery in january. i guess i gotta get a new one.

k20ej8
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
It's charging but the Batt is bad.. The noise could be the belt, make sure its tight and not hitting anything.. :cheers:

yea i think so but the car wont start at all anymore. even after i jump it. and i use the voltemeter on the battery and its 12.47 when the car is off.

turbob20
04-28-2009, 10:37 PM
see if your alt belt is too loose and not charging cause the more stuff you have on the more it pulls on the engine. if its slaping around thats what broke your cover. its just not loose enough to tell without touching it.

im_hung
04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
It could be your ELD. I would check that last, but they do go bad from time to time.

Tech5
04-28-2009, 10:54 PM
2 - 13.91 warming up

engine off it should be around 12 volts... make sure that battery is good and your connections are top notch.... check the eld like mike said they do an can go bad i had that problem a few times but not likely

turbob20
04-29-2009, 01:01 AM
i think the screach is a loose belt! not letting in a complete charge.

k20ej8
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
2 - 13.91 warming up

engine off it should be around 12 volts... make sure that battery is good and your connections are top notch.... check the eld like mike said they do an can go bad i had that problem a few times but not likely

battery is good, but low on charge. i will check the eld prolly get a new one at the junk yard with a 80A battery fuse that popped also.

k20ej8
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
i think the screach is a loose belt! not letting in a complete charge.

it was on pretty tite.