PDA

View Full Version : What is corner balancing?

TRD tC
04-24-2009, 11:48 PM
I was planning to get some TRD coilovers for my tC this summer, and somewhere along the line, I heard that you have to corner balance your car after you install new coilovers.

What is corner balancing? Can most shops or dealers do it? Is it expensive?

Any other things I might run into when getting these coilovers?

If it's too complicated, I might go the TRD shocks/springs route, but considering I'm getting it installed at my Toyota dealer, I don't see where too much problems could exist...

Bus Driver J
04-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Corner balancing is adjusting the weight distribution of the car evenly between the LF/RR and the RF/LR. Its for handling purposes, mainly for track cars. A good driver can tell if its 5% and less off.
If you are just driving the car on the streets and dont plan on taking it on a track then dont bother.
Not too many shops have scales for corner balancing, the dealer DEF doesnt.

and pmed....

TRD tC
04-25-2009, 10:39 AM
PM received.

So if I don't get it done, the weight balance will be off... meaning handling will be off? So, getting coilovers and not corner balancing will actually decrease handling performance?

What a waste! lol.

I guess I'll decide then, considering corner balancing is not too much expensive.

imbosile
04-25-2009, 10:43 AM
I don't think it's going to decrease your handling performance, it just wont be as good as it could be.