PDA

View Full Version : am i being scammed?

collins
04-23-2009, 09:05 PM
ok, so i've listed some speakers up on craigslist for sale, and i've gotten a couple emails. this one guy says he's really interested, but it sounds awfully like some of the scams i've seen... what do you think?

here's my CL ad: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/1136686165.html

and here are the emails between us thus far...

him:
It's your item still available??And How much lower can you sell them for me.Thanks

me:
Yes they are still available. Which ones are you asking about, specifically? Make me an offer and we'll go from there. Thanks for the interest. :)

him:
Hi,
Thanks alot for the email. I'm highly intrested in your item but i won't be able to come take a look at it as i'm the busy type but believe it's exactly what you stated in the Ad,I would have loved to call you but where i am now,i can only communicate through email but I will whenever i get reception. Mind you, i will be paying you with a cashier check and my shipping agency will be coming for the pick up of the item from your location as soon as you confirm to me that you receive the check and it clears your bank. If this arrangement is okay by you, Pls. provide your full name, contact address and a valid cell # so i can forward it to my financier to mail the payment to you as soon as possible and you remove the add from craigslist.Thanks.. I hope to read from you soonest.

me:
Are you interested in the whole package? All four towers and the center channel? My phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Please call me when you get a chance. Forgive me, but I'm extremely cautious when it comes to online deals.

what do you think?

Evil Goat
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
yes...

Zodiac
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
ok, so i've listed some speakers up on craigslist for sale, and i've gotten a couple emails. this one guy says he's really interested, but it sounds awfully like some of the scams i've seen... what do you think?

here's my CL ad: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ele/1136686165.html

and here are the emails between us thus far...

him:
It's your item still available??And How much lower can you sell them for me.Thanks

me:
Yes they are still available. Which ones are you asking about, specifically? Make me an offer and we'll go from there. Thanks for the interest. :)

him:
Hi,
Thanks alot for the email. I'm highly intrested in your item but i won't be able to come take a look at it as i'm the busy type but believe it's exactly what you stated in the Ad,I would have loved to call you but where i am now,i can only communicate through email but I will whenever i get reception. Mind you, i will be paying you with a cashier check and my shipping agency will be coming for the pick up of the item from your location as soon as you confirm to me that you receive the check and it clears your bank. If this arrangement is okay by you, Pls. provide your full name, contact address and a valid cell # so i can forward it to my financier to mail the payment to you as soon as possible and you remove the add from craigslist.Thanks.. I hope to read from you soonest.

me:
Are you interested in the whole package? All four towers and the center channel? My phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. Please call me when you get a chance. Forgive me, but I'm extremely cautious when it comes to online deals.

what do you think?

Fuck that! Sounds way too sketch.

silversol
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
its a scam!

BobbyFresco
04-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Seems suspect. I would not waste anymore time on that person.

BMooreZ28
Yeah, Scam.

Buttons
i say wait til it's cleared.

Dr.G35
04-23-2009, 09:09 PM
yep i had a VERY similar situation with a guy when i was selling one of my college books. scam.

81911SC
04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Yea man, I wouldn't trust it.

collins
04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
the other thing i'm concerned about is i dotn really want him knowing where the goods are located, if ya nah mean.... granted, i think my wolf would tear his ass apart, buuuuut.... that would just open a whole different can of worms...

white_rice
04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
hmm i got some similar emails like that too.. dont do it man

dabuilding
04-23-2009, 09:13 PM
your phone number is pretty cool lol
yea man its a scam i used to get these everyday when i sold my car dont worry man someone will buy them but tell everyone cash or gtfo

frankXVX
04-23-2009, 09:15 PM
dont give no more info it looks to sketchie and GL has a lot of BS like automated msg's/emails

i had something like this happend to me so one day i just sent a random email that had nothing to do with the deal and i got a reply that didnt even go with the msg i sent

Atlblkz06
04-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Dont ship anything till you have the CASH in your hand.

collins
04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
thanks for the help guys... thats kinda what i had a feeling of...

oh and i looked on the scam warning on CL for tips on how to spot scams and found this...

banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
and

Most scams involve one or more of the following:

inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping service, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction

Bus Driver J
04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
The #1 way to tell if it a scam,

It's your item still available??....
Thanks alot for the email. I'm highly intrested in your item but.....
If the NEVER say what the item is and just say "the item". its a scam. Its a total generic email sent out to just about anything.

collins
04-23-2009, 09:29 PM
yeah, thats why i asked him specifically what he's interested in

BobbyFresco
04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Seems like a textbook example of a CL scam.

nreggie454
04-23-2009, 09:34 PM
The #1 way to tell if it a scam,

If the NEVER say what the item is and just say "the item". its a scam. Its a total generic email sent out to just about anything.

That's what I was gonna say. I just read the first line and knew it was a scam.

redrumracer
04-23-2009, 09:40 PM
holy scammers son. if you have to ask, the answer is probably yes.

Buttons
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
shouldn't he ask about it?

Frög
04-23-2009, 10:02 PM

x2..

Simple way to see.. Just wait and see if it is a real check or not.. If its legit, its legit..

Just hold on to your speakers until then..

staysideways
04-23-2009, 10:23 PM
/\ i agree, but more than likely it's a scam.

RL...
04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
I wouldn't give him your info until the check clears and until you have the money.

Frög
04-23-2009, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't give him your info until the check clears and until you have the money.

:lmfao: Hope you are fucking kidding!!

RandomGuy
04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
100% legit

Me86Rob
04-24-2009, 12:06 AM
CL n00b

On_Her_Face
04-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I say do it.

DirtyMechanic
04-24-2009, 04:34 AM
i say do it but give them the info for the closest police department and give them the police phone number too.... lol and DONT CASH the Checks. like you found out already.

ilovemyhonda.
04-24-2009, 07:18 AM
I would say scam. Don't do it, because even if you received a cashier's check, once you deposit/cash it and it doesn't clear you will be held responsible for the fees and still would not have sold your speakers.

Jason..
04-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Collins areyou serious?Y would you even ask a stupid question like that...

stillaneon
04-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Collins, had the same thing happen to me when I was trying to sell a car. The cashiers check was fake.

Brett
04-24-2009, 10:20 AM
SCAM!!

Jason..
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Collins, had the same thing happen to me when I was trying to sell a car. The cashiers check was fake.Did they send it to you?

"B"
04-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Only do business on Craigslist with people face to face and with cash only.

stillaneon
04-24-2009, 10:24 AM
Did they send it to you?

Sent me the cashier's check.

I verified through the bank it was drawn from.

It had been drawn for 43 dollars like 2 years before.

I told the guy and he never contacted me back

Jason..
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Sent me the cashier's check.

I verified through the bank it was drawn from.

It had been drawn for 43 dollars like 2 years before.

I told the guy and he never contacted me backSweet

iEvo
04-24-2009, 10:31 AM
yea deff sounds likda shady

teh bri
04-24-2009, 11:15 AM
scam!

Elbow
04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Typical scam lol, I get at least 20 of those e-mails per item I sell.

NVEOUS
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
SCAM? yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep yep and yep

WalkS
04-24-2009, 11:51 AM
"Mind you, i will be paying you with a cashier check and my shipping agency will be coming for the pick up of the item from your location"

As soon as I read that shit, oh no. That dude is trying to scam you buddy. Click his emails as spam, and move on! :goodjob:

collins
04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the input guys/gals! As you probably guessed, I'm a noob to craigslist LOL

Jason..
04-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the input guys/gals! As you probably guessed, I'm a noob to craigslist LOLYour welcome

BB1_Luda
06-07-2009, 03:03 PM
i say do it but give them the info for the closest police department and give them the police phone number too.... lol and DONT CASH the Checks. like you found out already.

Do this.

Barefoot
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
i get those same almost word for word letters every time i post on CL.

Humphrizzle
06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
any time they refer to what you're selling as an "item"... it's a scam

Barefoot
06-07-2009, 06:48 PM
not to thread jack

here is 1 found this morning on the search for a is300. just sounded to good to be true. when i got the email back for i knew it was at that point.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/ctd/1209285395.html

first email

do you still have it for sale? if so whats the VIN for the vehicle and why is the price so low? what city are you located? do you have a maintenance history? if everything checks out when is a good time to meet up so i can check it out.

second email

Hello and thank you for question,
The 2002 Lexus IS-300 Sport Sedan is in great shape,no engine problems,damages or hidden defects. It was always garaged and never kept outside, clear title, only 53100 miles, female driver, 4 new nokian hakkapelitta 4s with studs 215/45/r17, and 4 new fuzion zri 215/45/r17, never smoked in. I`m a single mother with 2 children because I divorced with my husband and after the divorce I own this car, I don`t need it and that`s why I`m selling it so cheap.The price for the car is $4200 with shipping included. We will use eBay`s protection program for our safety. I just need your full name and address so i can open a case.(with no further obligation or fees).
Thank You!

3rd email

whats your contact info.

4th email

Hello again,
The car is already at the shipping company in Burlington, VT sealed and ready for the shipping.The price is $4200 with shipping included , and the deal will be close through eBay. If you have the funds available please send me your full name and shipping address so I can start a transaction.
Here is more photos : http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss227/patmartin36/lexusIS300/
Waiting...
Thanks

5th email

this has scam written all over it. just to see how serious you are. send me the vin and your contact info. if everything is straight i will fly up there to pick it up an meet you face to face before i hand over any cash.

6th email

lol google bitch. patricia martin is plastered every where as a scammer. an your stupid ass uses the same text every time. i knew something was wrong with you and the offer. i bet after this email and my last you will be moving on to the next sucker and try to fool them. good luck in life.

Barefoot
06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
my lucky day 2 scammers in 1 day.

Hello,
I have received your email regarding the
2006 Lexus GS430 with only 66,000 miles.
The car is in perfect condition,with no scratches on it,no damage, clear title.
The price for the car is $5,700 with shipping included.
The car was my husband`s as he loved it very much, but he did not enjoy it as he died in a IRAQ 3 month ago. It brings very bad memories to me, I want to get rid of it.
The buyer will receive the car with all papers and receipts that he needs to register it to his name.
Shipping will be done whit DAS and it will take no more then 2-3 days. I have a friend there who will manage me a low price shipping and I assumed that it is my duty to pay for shipping it.It will be delivered directly to your address.
Anyway, I have to let you know that I want a fast deal so if you are really interested in buying it,please reply with the following information's:
-Your full name;
-Your shipping address.(street,city,state,zip code)
The transaction will close only through eBay so we both will be protected.
I want eBay because as they are the biggest company on the internet I think that we can close this deal fast and safe for both of us. Also I am not very familiar with the internet transactions and eBay is the only one I know.
I will look for your email,so that we can move forward with this deal!
Let me know.
Regards,
Susan

NevrNufTorq
06-08-2009, 12:19 AM
hate it bro, but it sure does seem like it :(

3.5altman
06-08-2009, 12:20 AM
ya mang, i get those emails all the time. I just tell them we keep it simple CASH ONLY- no credit, no checks and fuck paypal

Kevykev
06-08-2009, 07:10 AM
There's so many key words and phrases in there. Either the talk/type like there are foreign or make VERY general statements.

Nemesis
06-12-2009, 07:24 AM
I hope to read from you soonest?

Come on Collins, seriously? lol

Kevykev
06-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I wasn't even selling an "Auto Part" fkin cock!

Hello and how are you doing,well i saw the advert of your Auto Part you for sale online,and I'm writing to know if you still have it available for sale.if yes pls let me know the present condition if it still in a good shape or not.Oh i will also like to know if MONEY ORDERS OR CASHIERS CHECK will do for the payment method i prefer.anyway email me back soon.
Thanks
Dave

collins
06-12-2009, 02:05 PM
lol damn, this thread is still alive?

kpc2593
06-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Scam....key words are cashiers check and shipping agency...

umairejaz
06-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Can't believe you are having to ask :P

FlipKing
06-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Scam, get emails like that all the time.