PDA

View Full Version : 98 vr6 help..

04sleepa
04-23-2009, 06:45 AM
So im checking out this 98 golf vr6 and im really interested. Seems like a nice little project car but i know nothing about them. Its going for pretty cheap but it has 160,xxx on it, needs a bumper, and is missing some rear interior.

Are there any known problems that i could walk into with a vr6 around that mileage??

How expensive are repairs and replacement parts for these cars?? (just ball parks)

annnd is the 98 vr6 even worth trying to make a little project out of?

any help would be great! i dont have much knowledge at all when it coms to v dubs..thanks

Paul
04-23-2009, 03:50 PM
So im checking out this 98 golf vr6 and im really interested. Seems like a nice little project car but i know nothing about them. Its going for pretty cheap but it has 160,xxx on it, needs a bumper, and is missing some rear interior.

Are there any known problems that i could walk into with a vr6 around that mileage??

How expensive are repairs and replacement parts for these cars?? (just ball parks)

annnd is the 98 vr6 even worth trying to make a little project out of?

any help would be great! i dont have much knowledge at all when it coms to v dubs..thanks

the craigslist car? :thinking:

ya its a nice ride i was thinking about it myself for DD.

terrytowe22
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
parts are not the cheepest but not outragoues ewither but i had a vr6 in it had around 180k it ran really strong. no major prob except for the plastic water neck they tend to crack.

Total_Blender
04-23-2009, 09:58 PM
160k is about the time you need to change the timing chains. The timing chains are on the back of the motor so you have to take the transmission off to get to them. You'll probably spend as much having a shop change the chains as you'll spend on the car itself. But its potentially a bargain if you can DIY.

04sleepa
04-24-2009, 09:15 AM
the craigslist car? :thinking:

ya its a nice ride i was thinking about it myself for DD.

if its blue then yea. i went to the dealership yesterday and took it out for a test drive. i didnt really like it. it has a couple wiring or electrical issues such as the driver side window button locking the doors and the horn randomly going off. The exhaust isnt on completely for some reason?? its gutted except for driver and passenger seats. annnnd it either needs plugs or plug wires so i couldnt really get a feel for how it drove. it could be a cool project but idk..

Paul
04-24-2009, 02:59 PM
if its blue then yea. i went to the dealership yesterday and took it out for a test drive. i didnt really like it. it has a couple wiring or electrical issues such as the driver side window button locking the doors and the horn randomly going off. The exhaust isnt on completely for some reason?? its gutted except for driver and passenger seats. annnnd it either needs plugs or plug wires so i couldnt really get a feel for how it drove. it could be a cool project but idk..

good thing i didn't drive out to test drive it then thanx you saved me a trip :goodjob:

Bleek0323
05-09-2009, 01:48 PM
for 4K you can get my jetta vr6 w/ 109K mi lol.