PDA

View Full Version : state law question?

joesblk_teg
04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
hey guys quick question. first, I never speed and i try to be obedient to the rules and regulations of the law. but i do have yellow headlight bulbs and I recently got pulled over by a barrow county police officer for having these yellow headlights. ive had them in my car for two years and have never been harrassed about them, until now. Now here's where the question lies, do you think if i went to the court date that they would drop the charge? or should i pay the 80 dollars and take the points on my license. the law violation he wrote down doesnt seem to specifically state concerning a hue/color of a headlight. here's the violation code:

40-8-22.
(a) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two but not more than four headlights, with at least one on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which headlights shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this article.
(b) Every motorcycle and every motor driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlights, which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this article.
(c) Every headlight upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the headlight of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches, to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21.
(d) The headlights required by this Code section shall be maintained in proper working condition and shall not be covered by any type of material, provided that the covering restriction shall not apply to any vehicle on which the original factory headlights were covered.
(e) It shall be unlawful to operate a motor vehicle unless such motor vehicle is equipped with aiming pads on each headlight.

thanks for the help.

pr8yr
04-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Damn man, that sucks. IDK, but I think yellow is not legal.

Cool Cat Racing
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Yellow is not legal. Its in a different part of the section than you listed. The exact specifications are listed in the SAE J578 standard for vehicle lighting. Yellow bulbs could be considered a covering since it does reduce the light output. There is a color temperature listed in the J578 standard that I believe is 4200k which excludes yellow headlights. Fog lights though can be low enough to be yellow with no problems.

jdm eg99
04-21-2009, 01:33 AM
same thing happend to steedracer first week he had them he was pulled over 4 times because of them. he took them off end of story, thay were 4000k too !

joesblk_teg
04-21-2009, 03:48 AM
thanks guys for the help. and hey so it is not legal but since he wrote down the wrong violation code could that work as a "get out of jail free pass"? i know its dumb, but say you get pulled over for speeding and the violation code he writes down is for running a stop sign, wouldnt there be a way out of that ticket.
:) i think im gonna just pay it. ohh well it was worth a try.

Cool Cat Racing
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
You can try that one but I doubt it will work. I'd just pay it and know that before you do stuff to your car you should listen to the warnings on the packages about checking your local laws regarding its use on public roads. That and yellow headlights look as stupid as bright blue or purple ones.

BrandonR18
04-22-2009, 11:33 PM
fuck that! fight the law...you got pulled over by some rookie trying to meet quota for the month. just get a copy of the code printed and take it to court and ask what part of that law you broke. no reason spending your money for something you didnt do.

lude66
04-22-2009, 11:46 PM
fight it

claybird
04-22-2009, 11:58 PM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!
but it is georgia state law that any aftermarket lights on ur car that is not OEM is illegal except no more than 4 YELLOW FOG LIGHTS

JDM onlyy
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!
but it is georgia state law that any aftermarket lights on ur car that is not OEM is illegal except no more than 4 YELLOW FOG LIGHTS

dude really? when the hell did this happen? so can i get oem TSX HID's on my car then? will that be legal?

Captain-Obvious™
04-23-2009, 06:22 PM
joe! just put in normal bulbs before you go to court and show them you fixed it with a dated picture or something or a receipt saying you bought OEM headlights and you have a chance they'll drop it...

j0nbunklah0m
04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
so this means its illegal to ride around with my city lights? :(

SLo_MKIII
04-23-2009, 09:31 PM
yellow headlights are illegal got this same ticket about 2 weeks ago