PDA

View Full Version : Funky Headlight

Mr. Clean
04-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Alright I'm on my second set of HIDs... after you turn them on and they get up to running temp. the passenger headlight cuts off. If you turn them back off and back on again, it will usually stay on then Sometimes you have to do the process again for it to finally stay on (this process finally led to the demise of my first set of HIDs where I blew a bulb because I would have to cut them on and off several times before it would come on again). I've tried grounding it to the frame so it's not using the OEM pigtail and it still does the same thing. I know it's not the ballast or the bulb or anything because I had the same problem with both HID kits.

Anyone have any ideas where to start now?

FRYLOCK
04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
r u sure its not the ballast cause thats thde same problem i was having and it was the ballast

Sammich
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
sounds like its grounding out somewhere. i'm not a HID nor an electrical whiz, but thats kind of what it sounds like to me

Mr. Clean
04-20-2009, 10:25 AM
r u sure its not the ballast cause thats thde same problem i was having and it was the ballast

i am like 98% sure. the problem didn't follow a ballast if i switched sides with it, and now a whole new kit with new ballasts, bulbs, wiring and everything gives me the same exact problem. i think the odds of getting 2 busted HID kits from 2 different companies having the exact same problem is pretty rare. i mean i could still do some testing with the new kit, but i'm really thinking it's something with OEM harness or something with the power differentiation from halogen to the HID :dunno:

sounds like its grounding out somewhere. i'm not a HID nor an electrical whiz, but thats kind of what it sounds like to me

that's what ALVIN said and so that's why i tried grounding it directly to from the ballast to the frame and it did the same thing so i don't know where else my grounding issue could come from. there's nothing else in my car that has a problem like that, so it can't be like my main ground or anything.

RBS
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
you could have a faulty light relay, or a short somewhere along the lines of the side that cuts off, or that one side is not supplying enough electricity to power the ballasts.

go buy a cheap relay and wire the ballast straight to the battery and use the low beam signal to switch the relay.

if those dont work then you got a serious issue on your hands :thinking:

i know this doesnt really count for hid KITS, but for true retrofits and OEM ballasts many people use the relay method so that the ballast has plenty of power and you dont fry the harness from drawing too much power :2cents:

Sammich
04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
have you followed your wiring on the side where its killing your bulbs? see if there is any raw wire hanging out? your fuses are ok i imagine too?

relay is also a good thing to look at too as ej2 said

Mr. Clean
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
alright well here comes the noob question:

when you say relay what do you mean? do i need to match the power in the relay to what i'm running... blablabla. just elaborate if you don't mind. and i guess you mean just take a wire directly from the battery with the relay in the line and put it to my HID ballast?

Sammich
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
i'm not sure of what the relay does or w/e...i know i hear of people saying they get relays with their HID kits. i dont have one, i'm just referring to your stock relay, i imagine there is a relay for your stock headlights. check it and make sure its good. but ill let ej2 chime in for the other relay input talking directly about HIDs

RBS
04-20-2009, 10:45 AM
the light relay, no all cars have them... i dont even know if my car has it lol. but i know some have it and sometimes they go bad

for the other kind of relay... a relay in general is like a remote activated switch.

small box, 4 terminals.

battery positive goes to one terminal, and another terminal goes to the ballast to give it power.

the other 2 terminals are signal. one is the low beam power, and the other terminal is ground.

so in simple. when you turn your low beam on, it sends a signal to the relay to switch on the power circuit

Barefoot
04-20-2009, 04:35 PM
id start with returning it back to stock see what happens.

1SOL2NV
04-20-2009, 09:25 PM
you could have a faulty light relay, or a short somewhere along the lines of the side that cuts off, or that one side is not supplying enough electricity to power the ballasts.

go buy a cheap relay and wire the ballast straight to the battery and use the low beam signal to switch the relay.

if those dont work then you got a serious issue on your hands :thinking:

i know this doesnt really count for hid KITS, but for true retrofits and OEM ballasts many people use the relay method so that the ballast has plenty of power and you dont fry the harness from drawing too much power :2cents:one of the demises of the del sol and why they are not being made today.:goodjob: faulty wiring in the headlights and foglights .. my fog lights blew out the other day but i think the bulbs went tho ... but make sure ure headlight pigtails have the correct current and a great ground . then go from there .

Cool Cat Racing
04-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I've seen several Del Sol's with headlight issues and burning out bulbs. HID's use more power when they first turn on than standard bulbs and many can overload factory relay's/wiring. An aftermarket relay setup using a 30amp relay and the factory wiring as a turn on only will generally solve this problem since it will then get its power straight from a higher amperage fused source.

RBS
04-21-2009, 07:30 AM
so.... was i right? lols

Mr. Clean
04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
oook. looks like i have a task for the weekend lol.

boostedb16
04-21-2009, 10:10 PM
i remember when i put HIDS in my fog lights. i would have to turn them on and off to get them to come on but they got to where they would not come on. i replaced my alternator and never had another problem. dont know if this the case with yours but worth checking.

cm7k24
04-23-2009, 07:01 PM
its probably the ballast,

OTG Signs
04-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Time for a proper HID projector retrofit broseidon.

jdm eg99
04-26-2009, 07:30 PM
same happends with my car low rpms thay dont get as much power that thay need to warm up once there warmed up prob 5 sec its all good !