PDA

View Full Version : Dellorto DHLA 48 issues

87 Turbo II
04-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Today my friend and I rebuilt my Dellorto carburetor with a service kit from Eurocarb's website. After we got it back together after carefully rebuilding it making sure not to break anything, the car wouldn't start and the fuel pump wouldn't shut off. We took off the top cover off to see the empty float bowls. We cycled the floats up and down a bit, then re-assembled the top cover. I turned the ignition to on and let the floats fill (it worked the time) then started her up. Now when we took the carb apart, we discovered the idle mixture screws were pretty much garbage and the fact the car was working properly before the rebuild was kind of a miracle cause the needle on one of them was broken off. So in order to not worry about it, we set the idle to about 1600 to bypass the idle circuit until new screws arrive in a few weeks from Eurocarb. The car will now start, idle(at 1600-2000RPM) and die after 5 to 15 seconds, usually backfiring REALLY bad before shutting off. It wont start again until the carb is re-primed. It almost seems like the carb fills with fuel, then uses it up while running, and needs time to refill. Does anybody have an idea what the problem might be? I tried not to overtighten anything like the jets and such so if one of them is slightly loose could it cause the problem?

It also might be worth noting that the little tiny basket filter that attaches to the needle seat was overlooked and forgotten upon re-instillation due to the kit not having a new one. The one near the banjo bolt is there, but the other one is left out, is that going to be a problem maybe? We still have the old filter, should we remove the floats and install it this time? (I want to avoid removing the floats if I can as removing the pin from that housing is a very difficult and unnerving process. The top cover looks like an expensive or hard to find piece.