PDA

View Full Version : Am i being fucked over?

98blackcivic
04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
i really hope not.
heres the story
my a/c compressor on my 1998 civic ex was completely out and it was making very loud metal to metal grinding noises...it was very embarrassing and my mom knew someone who knew someone who had a shop deep in lilburn

so my dad took over everything and arranged everything..He already paid the mechanic $250 for a used a/c compressor. this is for parts and labor.

i also have had a minor oil leak and the mechanic who barely speaks any english told me i need a new crankshaft seal. My car is over at the mechanics right now and im going to pay him an additional $150 for replacing that tomorrow.
hes also going to fix my drivers side power window for free
does that sound right? sorry for noob question

this place is called Statewide..something....on Killian and Lilburn drive
and its also junkyard

i dont wanna pick my car up and find out a week later the oil leak is still there...or worse find out he swtiched my vtec head with a non vtec head!

Builteg
04-17-2009, 07:44 PM
i really hope not.
heres the story
my a/c compressor on my 1998 civic ex was completely out and it was making very loud metal to metal grinding noises...it was very embarrassing and my mom knew someone who knew someone who had a shop deep in lilburn

so my dad took over everything and arranged everything..He already paid the mechanic $250 for a used a/c compressor. this is for parts and labor.

i also have had a minor oil leak and the mechanic who barely speaks any english told me i need a new crankshaft seal. My car is over at the mechanics right now and im going to pay him an additional $150 for replacing that tomorrow.
does that sound right? sorry for noob question

this place is called Statewide..something....on Killian and Lilburn drive
and its also junkyard

i dont wanna pick my car up and find out a week later the oil leak is still there...or worse find out he swtiched my vtec head with a non vtec head!

Well, watch and see what he does to it. :goodjob:

Bruce Leroy
04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
My dad did the same thing when my trans went out.... I had found a new trans and everything and was gonna do it my self. But he didn't trust me because I only had hand tools :screwy:. Just check over his work when you get it back.

Friggintitsman
04-17-2009, 07:51 PM
If all else fails threaten to have ol Juan deported.

Builteg
04-17-2009, 07:57 PM

:lmao: :lmao:

_Christian_
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
wrong section chicken fucker

98blackcivic
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
your mom is a not a chicken

GIXXERDK
04-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Dont sign the release form until you check everything out.

98blackcivic
04-17-2009, 08:10 PM
place has wrecked integra type R, ep3s mr2s lotsa nice cars but all wrecked
place also feels sketch as hell

Builteg
04-17-2009, 08:11 PM
place has wrecked integra type R, ep3s mr2s lotsa nice cars but all wrecked
place also feels sketch as hell

Ask em' if they wanna sell the Type R, lmk. lol

Like the other dude said, don't sign the release form before you check it out..

_Christian_
04-17-2009, 08:16 PM
your mom is a not a chicken
Maybe, but she's younger than your jokes...

jhadleyh
04-17-2009, 08:27 PM
i would stand over him while he did all the work to insure that it gets done right and like gixxerdk said dont sign shit till it all looks and drives legit

Barefoot
04-18-2009, 09:12 AM

250 for a used comp and labor isnt bad. only problem is used a/c parts is bad. u never want to stick a used a/c component on there.

i also have had a minor oil leak and the mechanic who barely speaks any english told me i need a new crankshaft seal. My car is over at the mechanics right now and im going to pay him an additional $150 for replacing that tomorrow.150 isnt a bad price. have him change your timing belt cam seals and water pump while hes at it. should only be about an $150 for parts and the extra few minutes on labor.

free is good sometimes

im_hung
04-18-2009, 12:01 PM
250 for a used comp and labor isnt bad. only problem is used a/c parts is bad. u never want to stick a used a/c component on there.

x2
evac and recharge isn't cheap.

Turbodude06
04-18-2009, 12:39 PM

omg! thats funny:lmfao: .... But yea just listen to them just check everything out and have him show u what he did the oil leak seems kind of iffy, but other then that everything else sounded good just get in it and turn the ac on check for leaks or noises and things like that. Good luck:goodjob:

98blackcivic
04-18-2009, 08:38 PM
well guys thanks for your input..i got my car back today.
the a/c is working fine.
the motor for the side power window is out according to the mechanic..i think ill jus fix that my self..
and it appears i dont have an oil leak on the bottom of my pan..
the bad part is...
there is this strange sound now coming from my timing belt area...wtff
like it only comes at 1500 rpms...i dont want to take it back there cuz they barely speak any english and there are no release papers...how can you trust someone who does not even speak english?
very ghetto indeed...

Barefoot
04-19-2009, 08:42 AM
there is this strange sound now coming from my timing belt area...wtff
like it only comes at 1500 rpms...i put money on its the used comp.

Cool Cat Racing
04-19-2009, 09:06 AM
If the timing belt isn't properly tensioned it will flap on the tensioner side and will make some noise.

cwhiteboy
04-19-2009, 09:12 AM
^ both posts above make good sense. As well, if he didn't replace the water pump, you could have just got real unlucky and had that go out, but thats doubtfull. My money is either on the new compressor or the tension being off of the belt. Try to find out exactly where the sound is coming from, or you could maybe take it to a more reputable mechanic and see what he says. I personally dislike mechanics, most of them have no idea what they are talking about, or doing. Thats why most people will tell you if you find a good mechanic, to keep him.

Barefoot
04-19-2009, 10:34 AM
^ both posts above make good sense. As well, if he didn't replace the water pump, you could have just got real unlucky and had that go out, but thats doubtfull. My money is either on the new compressor or the tension being off of the belt. Try to find out exactly where the sound is coming from, or you could maybe take it to a more reputable mechanic and see what he says. I personally dislike mechanics, most of them have no idea what they are talking about, or doing. Thats why most people will tell you if you find a good mechanic, to keep him.to add on to that the best way to find out if u can pin point it by ear it to just remove 1 belt at a time until the noise goes away.

turbob20
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
unless its the timing belt,lol.

eg mike
04-21-2009, 12:45 PM
unless its the timing belt,lol.

lmao I was so about to say "start with the timing belt right?"

98blackcivic
04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
it obviously coming from the timing belt......and my car feels slower too....even tho its an automatic i can tell there is a difference in its pickup.....

ive sick of being raped(no homo) by mechanics...i actually paid $600 for installation and parts for a new dizzy like 2 months ago...

i think its dawning on me to buy tools and pick up a haynes manual...

Romeo
04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
What do you really know about cars? Anything? Not being a dick, just asking a question. Because you can advance the timing using the distributor. But i wouldn't recommend doing it unless you know a little something.

Barefoot
04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
it obviously coming from the timing belt......and my car feels slower too....even tho its an automatic i can tell there is a difference in its pickup.....

ive sick of being raped(no homo) by mechanics...i actually paid $600 for installation and parts for a new dizzy like 2 months ago...

i think its dawning on me to buy tools and pick up a haynes manual...u have have to find the right 1 and then never piss him off.

im_hung
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM

i think its dawning on me to buy tools and pick up a haynes manual...

timing can be off a tooth...

98blackcivic
04-22-2009, 05:02 PM
lol i dont know enough about cars but ive studied and experienced working on cars for a couple yrs now...
but yea
its weird like as soon as i fix a problem on my car, a new problem happens right after that...its ironic...

keva52
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
its weird like as soon as i fix a problem on my car, a new problem happens right after that...its ironic...

thats how these things work.. on all of my cars i fix one thing and a few weeks later something else breaks.. its that thing about old and used cars..