PDA

View Full Version : any Land Rover people??

fininfarina
04-17-2009, 10:55 AM
I looking for bigger dd now and interested in Land Rover Discovery(97~)

I want to know if anyone has/had this car about this car(engine, tranny, gas mileage, any common problems)

dorin48
04-17-2009, 01:50 PM
You need deep pockets for maintenance. The End.

O wait! Did i mention electrical nightmares?

Fore warning if the alternator goes you will need a new one from a highend source like the dealer because the part store versions rebuilt in Mexico are improperly done 99% of the time and they cost...a lot.

BobbyFresco
04-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Speaking from experience, the upkeep isn't all that fun. There's a reason why aftermarket warranty companies do not accept LandRovers and most of the time people do not keep them past 50k miles. LandRovers are nice to look at, carry "stature", etc but are more problematic than anything else.

Catnip
04-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I think "speedminded" has one...

jadeutsch
04-17-2009, 03:51 PM
would not waste your money on it, just a suggestion

Jordanmd88
04-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Meh I have 2 Land Rovers I have a 99' Westminster Range Rover and a 01' Disco II

The maintenance isn't that bad if you can do it yourself...

That being said I had a coolant hose break on my discovery because I neglected to replace it when recommended And today I finished putting new head gaskets on it ... lol

but yea I off road the hell out of the Trucks and They have been super reliable ...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/JOrdanmd88/Range%20Rover/DSC01308.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l99/JOrdanmd88/Range%20Rover/DSC01303.jpg
:bump:

Revmaynard
04-17-2009, 08:55 PM
My dad had a Range Rover when I was a kid, we never had problems with ours. I have heard the stories, though.

Kaiser
04-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Parts are expensive. Labor (From a good source, not somebody just charging because of the name) is typically not that bad. There's very few issues with things being absolutely inaccessible and typically not that many problems with needing hyper-specific tools for things like on VW/AudiAG/Porsche cars. If it's been taken care of they are fantastic rides, and are relatively easy to keep going. If you ignore things, they have a problem to accumulate into very nasty issues that require quite a bit of money to manage. Sounds basically like every European car out there. And the electrical nightmare bit isn't as bad as it sounds. Old Z-cars are worse.

speedminded
04-26-2009, 02:19 PM
I think "speedminded" has one...I sold mine years ago. Just like any other car, parts are expensive at a dealership. They are super easy to work on, at least the pre-BMW / pre-Ford versions anyways.

Wiring and electrical isn't a problem because EVERYTHING is on it's own circuit, each light even had it's own fuse on my '96 Disco. There's tricks to putting after market stereo's in just like other European cars.

Despite their looks they are not prone to rolling over. They weigh so much because the frame is extremely solid and all bolted together vs. welds everywhere. Sitting on top is a lightweight aluminum body therefore they are not top heavy.

Downside is gas mileage being non-existent. I want another Disco or Range Rover to put a Duramax turbo diesel in. Better fuel mileage and tons of torque would make a good tow vehicle :D

Tech5
04-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I think they are a POS!

EJ25RUN
04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
My dad had a Range Rover when I was a kid, we never had problems with ours. I have heard the stories, though.
Yours was probably a County Classic before the Ford take over. Ever since then, LR and RR have been the worst vehicles to maintain that are on sale.

BobbyFresco
04-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Yours was probably a County Classic before the Ford take over. Ever since then, LR and RR have been the worst vehicles to maintain that are on sale.

So true.

Elbow
04-26-2009, 05:45 PM
We have two Range Rovers, we have had electrical issues, and engine accessory problems but the actual block and drivetrain so far has been really strong. Parts are up there though.

ATL_EG
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
im dd-ing my old disco now and it is NO fun at the gas pump, and im counting down the seconds till my alt. goes out. LR parts=$$$$ fml

speedminded
04-26-2009, 08:59 PM
im dd-ing my old disco now and it is NO fun at the gas pump, and im counting down the seconds till my alt. goes out. LR parts=$$$$ fmlMy Disco alternator died but I was running 7 1/2" Hella lights, 700 watt subwoofer, etc...$100 got me a used one from a junkyard in Tampa that worked fine for years after. Waiting the 3 days for shipping forced me to carry a battery charger to work to boost the Optima battery to make it back home the 40 miles to charge it again...whatever works right lol!

Yours was probably a County Classic before the Ford take over. Ever since then, LR and RR have been the worst vehicles to maintain that are on sale.The 4.0 and 4.6 HSE, technically named the "P38A", 1995 up until 1998 were pre-BMW as well. BMW made changed in '99 then sold Range Rover to Ford in '00.

jhadleyh
04-26-2009, 09:01 PM
my sis has a 07 land rover discovery and she loves it but if you dont if you by a used one thats not from a dealership it can become pretty price maintenance wise but overall they are awesome vehichles

ATL_EG
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
My Disco alternator died but I was running 7 1/2" Hella lights, 700 watt subwoofer, etc...$100 got me a used one from a junkyard in Tampa that worked fine for years after. Waiting the 3 days for shipping forced me to carry a battery charger to work to boost the Optima battery to make it back home the 40 miles to charge it again...whatever works right lol!

indeed! :cheers:
$100 is whats up though

AnthonyF
04-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Do NOT purchase a land rover. Especially one that old. They are J*U*N*K

I don't care who makes it. If you don't live on farm land or in the mountains, why get a L.R.? Completely POINTLESS vehicle.

Get a Tahoe. Tough, reliable, CHEAP, and fits quite a lot of people. We had a 96 tahoe with 300k on the clock with the OEM engine and one tranny replacement (we towed a lot)

-Ant.

EJ25RUN
04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
The 4.0 and 4.6 HSE, technically named the "P38A", 1995 up until 1998 were pre-BMW as well. BMW made changed in '99 then sold Range Rover to Ford in '00.

I know they still used BMW mills till the Jaguar motors went into most of the lineup.

Elbow
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Do NOT purchase a land rover. Especially one that old. They are J*U*N*K

I don't care who makes it. If you don't live on farm land or in the mountains, why get a L.R.? Completely POINTLESS vehicle.

Get a Tahoe. Tough, reliable, CHEAP, and fits quite a lot of people. We had a 96 tahoe with 300k on the clock with the OEM engine and one tranny replacement (we towed a lot)

-Ant.

Almost nothing in this statement is exactly true lol.

99hatch
04-27-2009, 09:43 AM
A good buddy of mine loves range rovers for their offroad ability. He has had 4 and every single one of them was a piece of junk. He has invested at least 25,000 in repairs to them over the past 5 years. Not including the prices of each range rover. I would stay away.

Sam C.
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
I have an 2003 Disco, and do the maintenance myself. If you don't plan to do your own maintenance I would stay away from it. Also Disco's average 10-12 mpg in the city, not the best for a dd.

That said true LR enthusiasts like myself will always offroad/drive and enjoy the trucks.

sikfricks
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
i have a range rover classic lwb with 80k perfect condition i will let go for 2000