PDA

View Full Version : CV AXLE

chaseamundo
04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
recently I was doin some suspension work and noticed on my front driver side wheel their was alot of black gunk. i thought it was oil at first glance but then realized it was grease probably from my CV AXLE?
any ideas on what this could be from?
and if it is the CV then how the fuck do i fix it?

punkr6
04-15-2009, 04:32 PM
replace the rubber boot on the cv...

chaseamundo
04-15-2009, 04:35 PM
thats it?
do i need to regrease?
bc it also makes a weird winding noise under their

punkr6
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
thats it?
do i need to regrease?
bc it also makes a weird winding noise under their

If its making noise, you need to get a new axle. autozone/advance =problem solved, around 60 bucks

Barefoot
04-15-2009, 04:39 PM
i would replace the axle or disassemble clean and rebuild. its easier and cheaper to just replace it. if u just replace the boot the all grit and fod is still in there an will kill the axle just as fast.

chaseamundo
04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
no shit....haha alrighty.

chaseamundo
04-15-2009, 04:49 PM
i would replace the axle or disassemble clean and rebuild. its easier and cheaper to just replace it. if u just replace the boot the all grit and fod is still in there an will kill the axle just as fast.

ok good deal. ill just redo the axle.

it winds right when i start it and gets really quiet but still winds

Barefoot
04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
ok good deal. ill just redo the axle.

do it right or do it twice.

it winds right when i start it and gets really quiet but still windsthat wouldnt be your axle. it should only make noise while the car is moving.

chaseamundo
04-15-2009, 05:37 PM
well when im still and idling it makes a quiet low noise from the fron left

punkr6
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
well when im still and idling it makes a quiet low noise from the fron left

thats not the axle...

Barefoot
04-15-2009, 07:16 PM
well when im still and idling it makes a quiet low noise from the fron leftthat could be a # of moving components on the left side.

chaseamundo
04-16-2009, 12:04 PM
moving parts as in?

Barefoot
04-16-2009, 04:23 PM
timing belt, water pump blah blah blah look on that side of the car an see everything that moves an theres your answer.

punkr6
04-16-2009, 04:24 PM
timing belt, water pump blah blah blah look on that side of the car an see everything that moves an theres your answer.

lol...

chaseamundo
04-16-2009, 11:45 PM
lol
haha ok. will check it out. listened to day and its only when im driving. not when i sit still

Thighs
04-16-2009, 11:51 PM
you arent too mechanically inclined are you? haha

i would check the alt, ac compressor clutch, ps pump, etc.

as far as the axle, you can take the boot off, clean and regrease, and reassemble. OR since you dont seem to be too keen on the mechanical working of a car (not bashing, just saying), i would go the easy route and just replace the whole thing. hell, i know what im doing under the hood and i would still just replace it.

chaseamundo
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
you arent too mechanically inclined are you? haha

i would check the alt, ac compressor clutch, ps pump, etc.

as far as the axle, you can take the boot off, clean and regrease, and reassemble. OR since you dont seem to be too keen on the mechanical working of a car (not bashing, just saying), i would go the easy route and just replace the whole thing. hell, i know what im doing under the hood and i would still just replace it.

haha honestly, im not i try to hard to learn everything haha.
but thanks for the help :goodjob: