PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Aftermarket Car Parts Business

Blaze_Cunnings
04-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey, this is probably done topic before, but wasn't sure. Anyways me and my friend are thinking of going into business and opening an aftermarket car parts store in the Atlanta area. We got all the resources, have a really stable and reliable importing and exporting business, and got the funds to back it. The question I guess is it a good idea to open a business like such in Atlanta? Any considerations on what to start off with or who to approach or what kind of customers we want to attract? I love cars, but I only know so much as it is not my forte, but I do have a knack for finance and importing and exporting. If you have any suggestions or tips, that would be great.

blacknightteg
04-15-2009, 02:16 PM
i would talk to vteckidd if you havent already, he himself started up a business like this and seems to be doing well.

Vteckidd
04-15-2009, 02:22 PM
storefront for performance orientated products never make any money. You will NEVER be able to compete against the people like me who do internet business and have little to no overhead.

Hard parts are where its at, but then you gotta fight GIANT corporations like Advanced, Napa, Oreilly, Autozone, etc.

Aftermarket Parts sales are dead right now, and lots of people are going under. Its all moving to the internet. And theres no money in selling other peoples parts anymore, only your own.

Good luck

Blaze_Cunnings
04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
so its better to possibly do this as an internet business? and even then what other advice would you say?

BanginJimmy
04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
the internet is replacing the storefront as the place to do business on specific parts. The current economy is not one to be starting in a non-required market either.

In the atlanta area, you would probably do better with classic and muscle car parts than import.

hyun
04-16-2009, 12:48 AM
marat?!

SL65AMG
04-16-2009, 07:35 AM
hyun?!

Blitanicle99
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
marat?!

LOL, funny you say.

afwfjustin
04-19-2009, 05:52 PM
vteckidd is right. To make it, you have to have an original product or service that people want. Selling other people's stuff isn't going to work, especially storefront. Just look at Nopi as an example.

You're either going to need to come up with your own products, in a niche people are going to want to buy, or have some sort of service like mechanical work, dyno tuning, etc.

I've been flipping cars and it's been pretty profitable. If you want to go into business with cars, I suggest getting into the flipping business. I'd give you more advice but then you'd be my competitor :)

GGPIS3
04-21-2009, 08:16 AM
if you're asking import atlanta what you should do, you should just scrap the idea now and save yourself tens of thousands of dollars.