PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Field Medicine

Danny
04-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Ok all you LEO and Mil guys. Give us some insight, resources (links), stories, techniques, products, etc relating to field medicine. This topic has interested me for some time, and its time for me to learn more about it! Ya its broad, but should make for good conversation (i hope)!

Truegiant
04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Your asking me to type 10 pages of info in to a thread.. Its not going to happen, haha. I have my civilian first responder certification, my Military Combat Life saver certifications, and my Military EMT(B) course certifications. I have alot of exp. with this from my experiences in iraq. Later tonight when I get off work I will post up some stuff and maybe some "pics" from deployment.

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I am a Paramedic and have my SAR Tech II certification and have been through the Tangent Edge Tactical Medic classes as well. What kinda question do you have?

Danny
04-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Really I am trying to figure out what to learn, maybe some good training available to civilians (affordable). Really just trying to learn something new.

I dont have specific question, just trying to get some discussion started. So post whatever you want.

And john, no im not asking you to type 10 pages. allthough 5 would be nice :D

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Well I guess the easiest place to start it the basics see if any one near you is offering a First Responders course.
I personally have a LOT of money and time invested in my education. You can contact GEMA or FEMA to see who locally would be ( Probably a Small local Fire Dept.) Check out www.tangentedge.com for a tactical course not cheap but tons of fun.

Danny
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
thanks eraser. i dont mind spending some money at some point in time. As lame as a goal as it is i want to get together a decent med kit, and know how to use everything, to start with. I just found tacmedsolutions.com, not sure if anyone has heard of them, the have a lot of instructional vids on the basics of how to use their products. I haven't watched any (at school right now).

I will def look into the first responders course/cert. I am not looking to make a carreer out of it by any means, just looking to learn something that I believe could/will be very valuable in my future.

thanks again eraser, ill be back to pick your brain once i start getting some questions.

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
LOL Any time man, You still got your jet ski?By the way if you need anything or have any questions I am an instructor in a lot of courses and will be more than happy to help out

JayL
04-14-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm in the last quarter of my EMT- Intermediate course at a technical school, will be working for the county FD here soon, glad to see others interested in the Emergency field of practice.

Danny
04-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm in the last quarter of my EMT- Intermediate course at a technical school, will be working for the county FD here soon, glad to see others interested in the Emergency field of practice.

thats awesome. I think the field is great, and I respect everyone that is a part of it greatly. My logic is that i am spending money, time, and effort learning how to take a life, might as well start doing the same for how to safe one. IMO both skill sets are fantastic ones.

Danny
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
LOL Any time man, You still got your jet ski?By the way if you need anything or have any questions I am an instructor in a lot of courses and will be more than happy to help out

thanks man! Ya i got the ski still. Plan to start beating the tar outa it soon.

SL65AMG
04-14-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.nols.edu/courses/find/byskill/wildernessmedicine.shtml

i thought about doing this..... it may be for events that are a little more "rural" than you are interested in though

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 08:42 PM
ehh that course as ok, tangent edge is better.

Truegiant
04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
WHile the majority of my training is in battlefield trauma the civilian side helps also. The civilian side is more concerned with safety in certain areas of neck and head injuries. On the military side its more focused on immediate blood stoppage. Like I said. I will get in to more when i feel like typing it up. You just need to come down to my house down here for a weekend and we can do battle shoot scenarios and talk about this stuff.;

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
That right there sound like a lot of fun, the tangent edge MTAC class and the SWAT Medic classes focus more on the defense of you " scene"/Patient while you are treating and also defending yourself. They also focus on GTFO of where you are after stopping immediate life threats. It also focuses on the tactical side of things, like protective movement and the actual shooting side of thing if your lucky enough to be in my situation ( I have already been pickup by the sheriffs dept where I work to actually go through Mandate school and they are going to send me back through MTAC, SWAT school and SWAT Medic school).

Danny
04-14-2009, 09:16 PM
tangent edge has some potential. Might be a little overboard for me.

John (truegiant), I want to take you up on that offer. I think a weekend together and i could learn an insane amount from you.

eraser, tangent edge has a MTAC course for 600, is this what your talking about. What is MTAC anyways?

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 09:27 PM
" Medical Tactical Application Course" Similar to the militaries from what I have heard from a friend of mine who is a line medic in Afghanistan. It focuses on controlling blood loss, hemostatic agents, Airway management, surgical crics, Hand to hand combat, CQC, wilderness medicine, situational awareness ( that part fucking SUCKS!!!) Weapons system familiarization,How to take down and properly hand cuff, Low light field medicine, tactical movement and a really fun part a 24 hour full out scenario ( City of Austell actually shuts down for 24 hours and there is all out combat). The course is 5 days long.

Danny
04-14-2009, 09:59 PM
all that for 600 bucks? no way.

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 10:30 PM
yeah but you need to have some background in medicine.

Danny
04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
oh well dam. that doesnt do me any good. got my hopes up. lol

eraser4g63
04-14-2009, 10:34 PM
lol, first responder course is 20-100 bucks depending on where you go. thats all you need.

Danny
04-15-2009, 07:52 AM
but now i want the MTAC course too. Ill see if i can find a decent civilian one, similar to that MTAC course. Looks like the bare minimum is first responder, then I'll go from there.

My list of 'wanted training' just grew alot, thanks eraser! (can i borrow some money lol)

Truegiant
04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
you will learn alot at first responder school. You can also check into local community colleges. Sometimes they do first responder courses there. You can also elect to take some of your EMT courses at school without the intent of becoming an emt. anywho.. I will keep you posted on a good time to come down.

Danny
04-15-2009, 09:54 AM
sounds good. Ill check KSU (where i got to school) to see if they have anything that may interest me.

eraser4g63
04-15-2009, 10:36 AM
Another thing to check out is the Cobb County C.E.R.T. which is the Citizen Emergency Response Team. They provide a TON of free training all the way from fire fighting on a very basic level to disaster response. And no you cant borrow any money cause I am trying to buy a Vette, lol. Give me a few months and I will see what I can do for you as far as free classes are concerned or even seen if I can get some people from the forums involved in some of the SWAT training scenarios as Bad guys of hostages.

eraser4g63
04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
sounds good. Ill check KSU (where i got to school) to see if they have anything that may interest me.
KSU does not offer EMT courses you will find them more at Tech schools.

Danny
04-15-2009, 11:11 AM
KSU does not offer EMT courses you will find them more at Tech schools.

Thanks, i should still be registered at Chat Tech, might check there?!?! I was kidding about the money, i am just going to blame you for the bank account damage haha.

Sounds like I need to research cert and first responder. I am swamped with school right now, and have some handgun training next weekend. But hopefully I could get something lined up for late summer.

Which county SWAT will you be working for as a med? That sounds like a dream job!!

eraser4g63
04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Right now Im working as a Paramedic with Forsyth County and I have been talking alot with one of their SWAT Supervisors up there. All I have to do is pass the physical Agility test and the qualify at the range. The only thing that is holding me back right now is that I am on first offender Probation and i get off it in August once that happens i should be good to go cause all the charges are dropped.

Danny
04-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I see cobbs CERT course is free. Struggling to find where first responder course is?!?!

eraser4g63
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Cobb doesn't offer a first responder class, but they might do one through their CERT program. Also check out GEMA and FEMA's site

SL65AMG
04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
tangent edge has some potential. Might be a little overboard for me.

John (truegiant), I want to take you up on that offer. I think a weekend together and i could learn an insane amount from you.

eraser, tangent edge has a MTAC course for 600, is this what your talking about. What is MTAC anyways?

do you have to be prior/current LE or military to take courses from this place????

eraser4g63
04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
You have to have a sponsor to take part in it but if you contact the people putting it on 9/10 they would let you pay the cost to attend.

SL65AMG
04-15-2009, 06:55 PM
You have to have a sponsor to take part in it but if you contact the people putting it on 9/10 they would let you pay the cost to attend.

9/10 = 90% chance (is this what you mean?)

and does $600, 1500, 2500 cover the entire course or is that what you pay and your "sponsor" pays the rest???

Danny
04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
9/10 = 90% chance (is this what you mean?)

and does $600, 1500, 2500 cover the entire course or is that what you pay and your "sponsor" pays the rest???

great question. i still cant wrap my head around 600 = 5 days training

eraser4g63
04-16-2009, 10:23 PM
It meant 9 times out of 10 so yea 90% of the time, and yeah the price they have listed is the full price. I paid $300 to go and the company I was working for paid the other $300 when I went.

Danny
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Cobb is having a 7 evening long CERT course next month. THink i may sign up for this.

Truegiant
04-20-2009, 04:28 PM
i am sure its a great program. I enjoy my battlefield training, but i have used it first hand. great knowledge to have esp if your the one who is hurt.

Danny
04-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Ya, this course seems to be wide spread in terms of what it covers. But there is two parts on medicine, so thats good. And i am sure the rest of the info is good to know anyways.

Attached the flyer Cobb sent me, just encase anyone reading may be interested.

BanginJimmy
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Figures that program would be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am in school in the evening those days.

Danny
04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
ya i usually am too. but ill be between spring and summer semester during that time :D

eraser4g63
04-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Its a good course. Been thinking about getting my license to Teach a First Responders course cost a lil bit of money, but I can earn some money teaching.

Danny
04-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Awesome, you can teach me. :D

Whats the dfference between a paramedic and a EMT? Forgive my ignorance.