PDA

View Full Version : ? about a gsr oil pump

bpoweredhatch
04-13-2009, 07:12 PM
i was wondering how could i tell if mine went bad. saturday night vtec was working fine until we went to race a guy and on the 2nd run we had no vtec oil level is perfect. what all could be wrong? help help help lol:eek:

punkr6
04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Advance/Autozone sells a cheap oil pressure guage for about $19 bucks...

bpoweredhatch
04-13-2009, 07:23 PM
well someone told me to undo my oil line on the turbo and undo the dizzy and turn it over. well i did that no oil came out at all. when we plug the dizzy plugs back up oil came out.

punkr6
04-13-2009, 07:27 PM
well someone told me to undo my oil line on the turbo and undo the dizzy and turn it over. well i did that no oil came out at all. when we plug the dizzy plugs back up oil came out.

there is no way of knowing how much oil pressure you have by doing this, hook a guage to it and be done with it...

bpoweredhatch
04-13-2009, 07:29 PM
could i hook up a gauge to my oil line

carbon_crash
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
if your oil pump went bad, your motor would be knocking like hell. You should have an oil pressure gauge regardless, especially since you are boosted. Has your dummy light came on in your cluster?(oil light)

bpoweredhatch
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
no oil light yet.just doesnt make sense how all of a sudden it stopped working. my buddy said it could be going out to make it stop. but i ve also been told if its bad the motor would of went bad as soon as it stopped

1SOL2NV
04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
clogged solenoid ? ... take solenoid apart and clean it ... then trouble shoot after that to determine problem if that doesnt fix it . if your boosted why u still got vtec????

carbon_crash
04-13-2009, 08:01 PM
no oil light yet.just doesnt make sense how all of a sudden it stopped working. my buddy said it could be going out to make it stop. but i ve also been told if its bad the motor would of went bad as soon as it stopped

This is true. My oil pump went out, then shit started knocking like crazy! But doesnt sound like a oil pump problem, but get a oil pressure gauge asap and make sure its a mechanical one. I agree with 1SOL2NV, could be vtec solenoid

bpoweredhatch
04-13-2009, 08:04 PM
what you mean why do i still have vtec if im boosted. vtec is super loud on my boosted car and it just stopped working lol. i thiught if it was the solenoid vtec would come and go and run funky

scttydb411
04-13-2009, 08:21 PM
1. get a pressure gauge on the front port of the head to see if you're getting the correct pressure.
2. jump the vtec solinoid w/ the batt and see if it clicks.
3. while the car is idling, jump the vtec solinoid w/ the batt...you should notice a definate difference in the tone of the engine and it may cause it to stall.
4. pull solinoid off and check to see if the screen is clogged.

bpoweredhatch
04-13-2009, 08:27 PM
when you say jump the solinoid to the batt is it just the one wire coming from the solinoid? and could i get a picture anyone of where to put a gauge on front of the block

bpoweredhatch
04-13-2009, 09:56 PM
also if i hook it up to the battery wont it fry it

dc 4eva guy
04-14-2009, 03:55 AM
its most likely the vtech solenoid(which is located on the passenger side of the valvecover on the exhaust cam) if your oil is fine. but i wouldnt just replace it. go ahead and make sure the all the wires are fine and that the grounds on the engine are good.

bpoweredhatch
04-14-2009, 10:11 AM
gonna try a new today

scttydb411
04-14-2009, 07:57 PM
i thought about something else when i got off the phone w/ you this evening. after putting oil psi gauge on and if it doesn't hit 65psi from back of the block check the oil pickup to be sure there isn't any shavings in it clogging the screen there (thought about this after you said you saw shavings clogging the solinoid screen). also, check to make sure you didn't hit anything w/ your oil pan. if the pan is too close to the pickup it will cavetate (suck up oil faster than it can accumulate since the area is smaller...less oil=less pressure=oh no!)