PDA

View Full Version : Re-formatting C: Drive

Ran
04-13-2009, 02:40 PM
So I have this computer that is so riddled with viruses and sh*t it's not even funny. I've got my XP disk, but when I try to run the install, it won't let me because there's a newer version of XP installed on it. Some "Help" instructions tell me to reboot the computer and run the disk. I try this but it just goes straight to the login screen. I also tried opening up C: Properties and formatting the drive, but it won't let me. Says I need to close all drives and programs using C: Drive before continuing.

Any help on how I can wipe this thing clean and re-install Windows XP for a fresh start?

green91
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
You'll format with the XP disk if you want to reinstall XP. Theres an option to install anyway (ill have to boot the disc once i get home for the exact option.) Then i typically delete all partitions and create 1 new with the free space. Go ahead and format with NTFS.

Ran
04-13-2009, 02:49 PM
You'll format with the XP disk if you want to reinstall XP. Theres an option to install anyway (ill have to boot the disc once i get home for the exact option.) Then i typically delete all partitions and create 1 new with the free space. Go ahead and format with NTFS.I tried that but it won't let me. It keeps popping up and telling me to close all drives and what-not that are using C: Drive. The Quick Format doesn't even work.

green91
04-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Ah, you've got to boot from the disc. Put the disc in the drive, reboot. If it starts windows and not the install program, you may need to change the boot driver order in your BIOS. A fresh boot from the XP install disc will allow you to format the drive and do a clean install.

Paul
04-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Ah, you've got to boot from the disc. Put the disc in the drive, reboot. If it starts windows and not the install program, you may need to change the boot driver order in your BIOS. A fresh boot from the XP install disc will allow you to format the drive and do a clean install.

make sure to do what he says b/c if you don't delete/create new partitions and format windows typically will overwrite or leave old windows directories on your install.

definately just delete partition, create new partition, then do Quick NTFS (save you some time) you should be done in about 1-1.5 hours from start to finish :goodjob:

green91
04-13-2009, 03:44 PM
OH yeah, if its your only pc, go ahead and download the device drivers onto a CD or zip drive before you format it lol.

Paul
04-13-2009, 04:05 PM
OH yeah, if its your only pc, go ahead and download the device drivers onto a CD or zip drive before you format it lol.

lol :lmfao: (at least download your nic/wireless drivers)

Ran
04-14-2009, 03:58 PM
make sure to do what he says b/c if you don't delete/create new partitions and format windows typically will overwrite or leave old windows directories on your install.I got everything I really need off the system already. I just need to wipe it clean and get a fresh XP install on there.

definately just delete partition, create new partition, then do Quick NTFS (save you some time) you should be done in about 1-1.5 hours from start to finish :goodjob:How do I do this partition bit?

Paul
04-14-2009, 07:46 PM
I got everything I really need off the system already. I just need to wipe it clean and get a fresh XP install on there.

How do I do this partition bit?

ok so when you put the XP cd in the drive and startup you should see "boot from cd...." hit enter/space bar just a key.

once you get in windows will find a previous partitions - follow instructions L to delete partition i think then create partition, format ntfs quick ... then follow directions to install windows

changaroo
04-14-2009, 08:58 PM
dont forget to set boot priority to CD / DVD drive first. or else its just going to go to the HD and skip the boot disk.

DaSmittyman
04-14-2009, 09:43 PM
reboot with cd in drive go into your bios(most computers are F2?) Change your boot options to cd first. Then F10 save and restart, then it should say press any key to boot, go ahead and hit any key. It will go through its auto run and load what ever it loads, then you will be asked what you want to do, your choices are Enter for new install or R for rescue. You want Enter new install then you will be faced with the terms of aggreements :blah: F8, then your partitions. As everyone else said make sure you delete all your partitions, i believe you hit D(delete) then it will ask you if your sure and i think L is the button just read lol.

Ran
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
You guys are awesome. I'll give this a shot. Thanks! :cheers:

Paul
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
http://dsnimg.dell.com/images/external/images/os/XPSetupPartitionScreen.jpg

and you have to press L to confirm :goodjob:

tdurr
04-15-2009, 11:40 PM
lulz. u should have ur cd drive set to slave so you shouldn't have to go to the bio's to change anything.
but other then that do wut everyone else said. and GL with DL'ing the service packs... they suck dick.

green91
04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
uhh even if your cd drive was set to a slave you would still need to change the drive boot order. master/slave on an IDE only sets the primary drive on the cable. anyone in the last decade uses cable select anyway lol.

edit: actually, who the fuck even uses ide anymore LOL.

zimabog
04-16-2009, 05:56 PM
your harddrive can not 'self terminate'.... as in you try to format the C drive using a program on the C drive itself... impossible.

green91
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
hence why i explained to boot from the install disc and format with the windows installer.