PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Would you buy an SRT-4?

stevo_EF91
04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
in the market for a boosted car. found this on craigslist. tell me what you think. good buy yes or no and why

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/cto/1107270829.html

BobbyFresco
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I would definitely have it checked out.
Modified cars have been usually been ragged on 9 times out of ten.

BobbyFresco
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I would definitely have it checked out.
Modified cars have been usually been ragged on 9 times out of ten.

SlowsterCivy
04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
I would never buy one, personally.

punkr6
04-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I would never buy one, personally.

x2

thepolecat
04-13-2009, 11:36 AM
not one someone has modified. its like marrying a prostitute- not telling how much it has been ragged out!

Terror
04-13-2009, 11:43 AM
I would definitely buy another one, mine had higher miles and through thorough inspections ( i worked at a shop at the time) there was almost not sign of wearing (literally). The car was super fun, they make stupid power cheap and are very DD friendly. I recommend it :goodjob:

AirMax95
04-13-2009, 11:44 AM
No.......Subaru

Humphrizzle
04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
no, they're ugly

uproot
04-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Only if it is black with some sort of 'boost' related bumper sticker

nreggie454
04-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Nope. Most SRT-4s are ragged out very badly. Also, even though they make lots of power, they are FWD which gets really old.

uproot
04-13-2009, 11:49 AM
yeah FWD is so 2008

Terror
04-13-2009, 11:52 AM
yeah FWD is so 2008

Yep, no Mad tYte drifting, no girls poop stickers, no "slide or die" catch phrases :(

:gay:

jdm>usdm
04-13-2009, 12:51 PM
yeah FWD is so 2008

lol

antiv6
04-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Price is reasonable, it would be worth checking out. If everything seems good id go for it, he said its gonna have some more work done soon, if it was about to blow up he wouldn't be adding more parts to it. Just throw a roof rack and a tow hook on it if you want the approval of IA members lol:goodjob:

stevo_EF91
04-13-2009, 02:53 PM
thanks for checkin it out.. yea i want something boosted and a nice dd . i know that most srt4's are ragged out but the guy said he just went through a full maintenance check up on the car including a full gasket kit. water pump fuel pump etc.

antiv6
04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
The way i see it if it blows up you can sell all the upgrades to buy a new engine lol, then you have an 8k dollar car with a new motor, stock replacement parts are probably really cheap.

ragnarok82
04-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I'd check the suspension. Chances are hes got stock struts with the lowering springs on them. Struts are most likely blown.

JITB
04-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I used to want one.. but not as much anymore. Still nice cars for the price.

Id consider a mazdaspeed protege for around the same price... the srt4 motor is built alot stronger.. but msp's are great cars aswell.

srt4
cobalt ss
Mazdaspeed protege
GTi

stevo_EF91
04-14-2009, 12:07 AM
srt4
cobalt ss
Mazdaspeed protege
GTi

srt4 is like 10 grand cheaper though then all you listed.. thats why im considering

big mac
04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
if you do get an srt4 make sure it is stock

JITB
04-14-2009, 01:21 AM
srt4 is like 10 grand cheaper though then all you listed.. thats why im considering

all those cars the same year 2003 are around the same price from as cheap as 8k - 13k. the cheapest being the mazdaspeed protege. most expensive being the GTi. look it up!

Captain-Obvious™
04-14-2009, 01:35 AM
they are good cars...my only thing is they're still neons...I've never liked the styling

vanvam
04-14-2009, 11:08 AM
There ook but ...
Still looks like a neon with turbo is nive

hondachik
04-14-2009, 11:37 AM
nurp.

stillaneon
04-14-2009, 11:53 AM
I used to want one.. but not as much anymore. Still nice cars for the price.

Id consider a mazdaspeed protege for around the same price... the srt4 motor is built alot stronger.. but msp's are great cars aswell.

srt4
cobalt ss
Mazdaspeed protege
GTi

I know people who have all of the above.

Honestly, the neon is going to be the best power for the price and they are easy to mod.

With a grand you can be in 320-330 hp range.

if you have the moeny and aren't financing though, I would look into a 240 or fox body. for the same money, you could have an extremely quick street car.

JITB
04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I know people who have all of the above.

Honestly, the neon is going to be the best power for the price and they are easy to mod.

With a grand you can be in 320-330 hp range.

if you have the moeny and aren't financing though, I would look into a 240 or fox body. for the same money, you could have an extremely quick street car.

i agree but i just didnt want to say it....and hurt the msp's feelings... :D

big mac
04-14-2009, 12:34 PM
:D or you can just buy my civic and get it tuned man lol:D

RL...
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
no.

If I went with a 4 banger it better be awd turbo. DEF NOT FWD.

v8 FTMFW

ballzdeep
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
i just bought my 2004 srt-4 with 45,000 miles from a 60 year old guy for under $11,000 ( the guy being 60 years old was the key decsion maker for me) alot of dudes run the shigggity out of them

Black4DrEK
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I would get one... Not the one posted on craiglist tho....

It would deff. have to be stock or almost stock.....

O and STOCK WHEELS.....

CHADbee
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
neons are gay.

dont be afraid of buying a mod'd one but try and find one that the heatsheild has never been cut...that tells you the car was always at stock boost levels because you have to trim the heat shield to put an aftermarket wastegate that lets you up the boost. intake, exhaust, intercooler, all that is fine but alot of "srt4" owners are dumb fucks that dont understand the concept of air/fuel ratio and run too much boost for stock fuel.

Kason23
04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm with Chad. I have 75,000 on mine and I RAG THE SHIT OUTTA IT. Has seen prob 1000's of track passes on stock motor,head,axles etc. If regular maintenance was kept up on the car it is as good as gold imo. I have no prob cutting 2.0 60s in my fwd on street tires. With the only suspension mod being lowering springs.

Halfwit
04-19-2009, 08:13 PM
most people who have had an srt4 will say 'yes id buy one" and those who havnt owned one are still "eww id never buy one"

i absolutely loved mine. amazing cars.

Romeo
04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I have wanted one and still want one. I really want an '04.

Halfwit
04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I have wanted one and still want one. I really want an '04.
yeah, and id like motherfuckers to not come into my wtb thread, tell me they have a part i need and then never return my PM.

CHADbee
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
ROFL

IMPORTchic
04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
No, especially not that one. I use to have a red one with larger FMI and diff BOV. They are fun/powerful for what it is, cars to drive but are not reliable IMO and at the end of the day they are still a neon and worse a DOMESTIC. lol

But I mean heyyy...have a lot of cash to throw around!? I woudlnt be opposed to having one. Just not that one. =)

WalkS
04-19-2009, 09:46 PM
No.......Subaru

Good luck with changing your spark plugs. Not saying a Subaru is a bad car. It's just that a horizontal opposed engine is just hard to work on.

And plus I am partial to Dodge, obviously...

CHADbee
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
No, especially not that one. I use to have a red one with larger FMI and diff BOV. They are fun/powerful for what it is, cars to drive but are not reliable IMO and at the end of the day they are still a neon and worse a DOMESTIC. lol

But I mean heyyy...have a lot of cash to throw around!? I woudlnt be opposed to having one. Just not that one. =)
yours wasnt reliable? really? my black one trapped 120mph, was daily driven and i beat the shit out of that car daily and it never broke(except when i flipped it and it ripped the oil pan off and the car kept running) and the one i have now runs 12's and the only issue i have had is clutch and TPS sensor.

maybe you just got a bad one. both the ones i have had were always very reliable.

IMPORTchic
04-19-2009, 10:05 PM
yours wasnt reliable? really? my black one trapped 120mph, was daily driven and i beat the shit out of that car daily and it never broke(except when i flipped it and it ripped the oil pan off and the car kept running) and the one i have now runs 12's and the only issue i have had is clutch and TPS sensor.

maybe you just got a bad one. both the ones i have had were always very reliable.

It was a '03. Maybe it was b/c it was older. It had like 80k on it I wanna say?! That was 2 years ago though... There was issues with something having to do with the oil leaking bad into the intercooler or something? Heck I dont even remember. I didnt have to deal with it. My X did. lol I mean for what they are, a dodge product they arnt all too bad. I would definately get the newest possible with low miles/all stock if I was going to get another one though.

cm7k24
04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
i'd get it for the sound :)

CHADbee
04-19-2009, 10:34 PM
It was a '03. Maybe it was b/c it was older. It had like 80k on it I wanna say?! That was 2 years ago though... There was issues with something having to do with the oil leaking bad into the intercooler or something? Heck I dont even remember. I didnt have to deal with it. My X did. lol I mean for what they are, a dodge product they arnt all too bad. I would definately get the newest possible with low miles/all stock if I was going to get another one though.
oh yeah...blow by...ALL turbo cars have that. easy fix with a $20 catch can.

IMPORTchic
04-19-2009, 10:54 PM
oh yeah...blow by...ALL turbo cars have that. easy fix with a $20 catch can.

Maybe so? lol Like I said....my X is the one who technically "owned" it eventhough it was me that drove it 99% of the time. I didnt have to worry about maintenance stuff. I just know it was at the dodge place all the time it seemed! I know they replaced the turbo with a new one too for some reason. No clue about that either. It was nothing we done, it was under warranty. =)

jhadleyh
04-20-2009, 06:09 PM
i would buy one.....but only from a dealership or one from an owner that left the car bone stock will decent miles

MINI
04-21-2009, 08:33 AM

YOURS WAS UNRELIABE BECAUSE YOU CANT DRIVE.

Edit: When did you ever use you clutch?

Axon360
04-21-2009, 09:04 AM
they're great cars, but the 03's are horrible...no LSD or stg 1 injectors and the tranny's are notorious for problems that year...plus the high mileage...i'd say negative.

And I agree, I'd go for one that's unmolested:goodjob:

IMPORTchic
04-21-2009, 10:09 AM
YOURS WAS UNRELIABE BECAUSE YOU CANT DRIVE.

Edit: When did you ever use you clutch?

Quit trying to act like you know something you fucktard. There was nothing wrong with the clutch. EVER. You didnt know anything about me then. Still dont. Know GTFO with your purple neons! :goodjob:

Elbow
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I like them, they are nice daily drivers despite driving a Neon, they are pretty quick, I would take one, but for the money would choose something else.

CHADbee
04-21-2009, 10:26 AM
GTFO with your purple neons! :goodjob:
i thought thats what we were discussing here?

:lmfao:

MINI
04-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Quit trying to act like you know something you fucktard. There was nothing wrong with the clutch. EVER. You didnt know anything about me then. Still dont. Know GTFO with your purple neons! :goodjob:

Crazy ass rep!... But anyway, I know alot of things, and ond is that you are a complete fucking idiot.

"Ive been in the scene so long blah blah blah"
Getting rides and parts from all your boyfriends, so me stop talking like a know shit? No, you need to shut your mouth so you can stop looking like an idiot

You NEVER used the clutch on your SRT. FROM YOUR OWN MOUTH you said you never did. I dont know everything but im pretty sure thats not good.

And fuck off about the neons, just because I dont go in the same direction as everyone else.

Fuck off ricer. :2up:

IMPORTchic
04-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Crazy ass rep!... But anyway, I know alot of things, and ond is that you are a complete fucking idiot.

"Ive been in the scene so long blah blah blah"
Getting rides and parts from all your boyfriends, so me stop talking like a know shit? No, you need to shut your mouth so you can stop looking like an idiot

You NEVER used the clutch on your SRT. FROM YOUR OWN MOUTH you said you never did. I dont know everything but im pretty sure thats not good.

And fuck off about the neons, just because I dont go in the same direction as everyone else.

Fuck off ricer. :2up:

LMAO! Yes X bought stuff for SRT4 b/c it was not technically my car you tard! :doh: And not using the cluch? How in the hell do you drive an SRT4 and not use the clutch? I think that would last you like 5 mins until something broke, which nothing anywhere near transmission broke. Only thing I ever said was when racing you could sometimes bump 3rd gear. That was about it. And that was one of those times where little kids come in the middle of people conversations and dont know what the hell is being discussed. Next time.....might be in your best interest to stay out of other people convos. K,thnx. Bye.

MINI
04-21-2009, 06:22 PM
LMAO! Yes X bought stuff for SRT4 b/c it was not technically my car you tard! :doh: And not using the cluch? How in the hell do you drive an SRT4 and not use the clutch? I think that would last you like 5 mins until something broke, which nothing anywhere near transmission broke. Only thing I ever said was when racing you could sometimes bump 3rd gear. That was about it. And that was one of those times where little kids come in the middle of people conversations and dont know what the hell is being discussed. Next time.....might be in your best interest to stay out of other people convos. K,thnx. Bye.

I WAS RIGHT FUCKING BESIDE YOU. And 5 other people were in our group. They all started making fun of you after you left because you are such an idiot.

Im not going to continue to argue. Im right, your wrong. End.

Got Milk?
04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
oohhhh wait NO. it has 96k miles. THat thing is gona blow up any second.

Kason23
04-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Wow arguing in a Srt thread... and by NON Srt owners.. completely weird lol

On_Her_Face
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
I would never buy one with my own money. EVAR.

IMPORTchic
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I WAS RIGHT FUCKING BESIDE YOU. And 5 other people were in our group. They all started making fun of you after you left because you are such an idiot.

Im not going to continue to argue. Im right, your wrong. End.

LOL okay. 5 other people?! Some Panera crack heads or emo fags?! :lmfao: Like they would remeber. Anyways. Back to the dudes thread.

Slomaro Z28
04-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm looking into getting one too. I have looked at the one posted (on CL not in person).
I want a fun DD, doesn't have to be super fast. I'd say ethier a SRT 4 or a bugeye WRX. I'm considering a WRX Wagon, so the kids will have plenty of room in the back.

BobbyFresco
04-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm looking into getting one too. I have looked at the one posted (on CL not in person).
I want a fun DD, doesn't have to be super fast. I'd say ethier a SRT 4 or a bugeye WRX. I'm considering a WRX Wagon, so the kids will have plenty of room in the back.

SRT would handle just as well in lugging your kids around.
Go drive one...You will fall in love with it!

I'm sorry but the Wrx doesn't give the same kind of instant gratification when driving it, even stock, that the srt does.

Slomaro Z28
04-25-2009, 11:40 AM
SRT would handle just as well in lugging your kids around.
Go drive one...You will fall in love with it!

I'm sorry but the Wrx doesn't give the same kind of instant gratification when driving it, even stock, that the srt does.

I have drove a srt but it was in 2003 when they first came out and didnt have a LSD. I'm thinking a srt4 with a AGP Delta 44 and supporting mods. There are lots of srt's in the southeast for under 10k.

schia89
04-25-2009, 06:52 PM
i wouldnt recommend it look for somethin stock no kind of mods at all

SLOWR/T
04-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Yes Id own another. I had one a couple years ago and am still mad I sold it. One of the quickest and most fun 4 door cars I have ever owned. Mine was tastefully modded and was still a great DD and even ok for road trips. I had a IC, stage 1 PCM, WG and still got 30+ on the interstate. My mom even road in the back seat for over 300 miles and said it didn't ride bad with tein 1.8 and 2.0 springs :D

Kason23
04-25-2009, 07:39 PM
I have drove a srt but it was in 2003 when they first came out and didnt have a LSD. I'm thinking a srt4 with a AGP Delta 44 and supporting mods. There are lots of srt's in the southeast for under 10k.
hell yea thats what I drive... times in sig on street tires!

Slomaro Z28
04-25-2009, 08:51 PM
hell yea thats what I drive... times in sig on street tires!

Are you running the delta 44? Do you know where I can find a good SAFC or clamp? I've been lurking on SRTForums.com but cant find anything.

And sorry for the threadjack.....

Kason23
04-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Nope sorry I just sold mine I roll the diablosport predator now its great. Im flash tuned so I never have to adjust my tune unless im running race gas.

jfman
04-26-2009, 02:08 AM
Considering people want 5k for 15 year old integras that have been wrecked an rebuilt many times over, Id say it worth checking out.

blown_ss
04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
i have one and i love it. i enjoy driving it everyday. very easy to work on and mod. i'd go look at it but at the same time i'd look for another one. good luck.

mmmmpsi
04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Yah I have one myself as well.. definitely the best car out there bang vs buck and they are a lot of fun to drive.. parts are cheap.. tons of parts out there.. you can easily get close to 400 hp with just a few exhaust & turbo upgrades..

mmmmpsi
04-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Nope sorry I just sold mine I roll the diablosport predator now its great. Im flash tuned so I never have to adjust my tune unless im running race gas.

I just ordered a Delta 44 for mine.. :cheers:

Kason23
04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
I just ordered a Delta 44 for mine.. :cheers:

Holy crap I like that sig lol

Nemesis
04-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Good luck with changing your spark plugs. Not saying a Subaru is a bad car. It's just that a horizontal opposed engine is just hard to work on.

And plus I am partial to Dodge, obviously...

Owned a WRX for almost two years, and I must say...."maintence and upkeep" was one thing I do not miss at all :)

SEAN
05-02-2009, 12:51 AM
my Knee-On has served me well...not as sexy as my old Tib but much quicker!

hondachik
05-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Nope. Its American made.

_Christian_
05-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I like srt-4s, but at the end of the day you still drive a neon. :taun:

Turbd4DE
05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
lol at this thread. Man ur gonna have to realize u cant post up on Importatlanta about domestics people always talk crap about them. Listen the price is right and its a 4dr NEON and thats what I love about it.. is the fact thats is just a neon. Anyways bro I would get one, mine has 45 k on it I have had it since it was brand new and have only had minor problems. Best/Fastest for the buck.:cheers:

mmmmpsi
05-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I tell ya, the meet we just had in Charleston was kick ass!! SRT meets are the best IMO.. Driving downtown Charleston, a bunch of people were standing on the side of the road while we were all turning the corner.. Probably 12 SRTs in a row and the guy goes "HEY, they are all the same car" hehe

Great group of people SRT4 owners, you should definitely join us!!

BTW as a side note.. the Delta 44 is halfway installed!! hopefully finishing up this week.

hondachik
05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Now that I think about it...I said no at first because its American made, but maybe I would just because it was a stick & has a turbo. Other than that, oh knows.

NVEOUS
05-11-2009, 11:30 AM
It depends for me. I would have to see the car and inspect it. See if any mods have been taken off and what not. so its yes and no for me. You just have to be careful with those axels. They snap easy or so i've heard

Kason23
05-12-2009, 04:08 PM
All a matter of how you drive the car... I have A TON of track passes on my car and I mean alot lol. Never had a axle problem. Or any prob for that matter

Atlblkz06
05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Save for a few more years and get the big brother:

http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/acr.jpg

Turbd4DE
05-12-2009, 08:59 PM
^^^^ ummmmmmmmm...:goodjob::D

DynamicSound
05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I would to say no because no matter how fast it is or what you do to it...you still drive a Neon. :no:

Kason23
05-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I would to say no because no matter how fast it is or what you do to it...you still drive a Neon. :no:

:lmfao:

Turbd4DE
05-13-2009, 08:08 PM
The fact that its a neon is the whole point. A sti is just a wrx a evo is just a lancer, and a honda...... well is just a honda. They all have base models. I mean it sucks that srt-4s are the most hated on cars. Sorry for the damn good price and it being nasty from factory. :burnout:

OldsTech
05-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I would own one in a heartbeat. I was actually in the market to buy one. Till i couldn't find one unmodded. And then I drifted into a better selection for what I really needed verus what I wanted.But for sure Best bang for the buck. Super Easy to Mod being y u can't find one unmodded. And Loads of fun from a dig or a roll. But I prefer Rolls mostly

DynamicSound
05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
The fact that its a neon is the whole point. A sti is just a wrx a evo is just a lancer, and a honda...... well is just a honda. They all have base models. I mean it sucks that srt-4s are the most hated on cars. Sorry for the damn good price and it being nasty from factory. :burnout:

LOL, your missing the point...it is still a NEON!! A NEON dammit!! lol

All jokes aside, it packs a punch as do the SRT8 models. No doubt. If fact, the only Dodge I would ever buy is the Dodge Charger SRT8 in all black.

stevo_EF91
05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
well by the poll right now its looking like its pretty much 50/50 if you should get a srt-4 or not...

so i guess.. who cares then right?

NickD70s
05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I personally love them. A friend of mine has had two and just recently traded someone for an evo. Both that he had were pretty quick and it might just be a neon but its a damn fast and a damn good running vehicle for the price.

Meatball546
05-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I appreciate how quick they are; there's no denying that, but I'd much rather have a car that's superb in the corners than a simply outright fast car in the straights. Sure it is light and nimble, but there's no getting away from the front wheel drive and the inherent limitations that poses. I like head-pinning acceleration as much as the next guy, but for me, it's all about the cornering.

Kason23
05-14-2009, 01:56 AM
I appreciate how quick they are; there's no denying that, but I'd much rather have a car that's superb in the corners than a simply outright fast car in the straights. Sure it is light and nimble, but there's no getting away from the front wheel drive and the inherent limitations that poses. I like head-pinning acceleration as much as the next guy, but for me, it's all about the cornering.

just FYI A srt-4 with the correct suspension mods can handle with the best of them. And the ACR is a good explanation of that. Its all about money with enough of it anything can handle well and go fast for that matter ;)

XanRules
05-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Right, but if you compare the "base" models...
WRX is an AWD turbocharged car.
Lancer is an N/A RWD (or is it FWD?)
Apples to oranges. The difference here is that while the top models of the Impreza (STi) and Lancer (Evo) are AWD turbo cars, the SRT-4 is still FWD. That's the killer.

They might be hated on for a reason - I've driven one, it wasn't bad, but it's not like driving an STi or an Evo. At all.

Kason23
05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Lancer is fwd....

Also you gotta consider the price difference when new.. I got my srt-4 with 3 miles on it for 19,000. The Evo I looked at was over 30K along with a STI. Not saying My car is better by no means cause it isn't. And that's why it was 10K less I guess. Diff strokes for diff folks right.

XanRules
05-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Indeed.
Ah, the Lancer is FWD? Double fail. :)

Ajdgotskillz
05-25-2009, 10:12 PM
i say its honestly up to you but if you want a good turboed car get an sti or evo

CHADbee
05-25-2009, 10:55 PM
i say its honestly up to you but if you want a good turboed car get an sti or evo
if it was that easy then this thread would have never been made.