PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive CF cards...

james
04-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey, I went to fry's yesterday to pick up an external HDD. I bought a 1TB 7200 rpm drive for 99 bucks out the door. Pretty good deal. So the salesman wrote up a ticket (commission sales...ugh) and I asked about CF cards. I was expecting what every other store carries like the Sandisk 2-4 gig cards that costs an arm and a leg. But, he said he had a 16GB (!!!) Kingston card on sale for 32.99.

thats fucking cheap!
It holds ~572 Raw files! These are 5dmkII raws, they are pretty fuckin big, they can get up to 40mb each.

It is pretty rad seeing [999] on the image counter and knowing you have that much more room.
:2cents:

oneSLOWex
04-11-2009, 02:42 PM
that seems like a pretty fuggin good deal

yungdz
04-11-2009, 02:59 PM
depends on the brand. I work in Fry's in that same department. There are cheap harddrives but If it wasn't Western Digital or Seagate it probably won't last that long.

And whats wrong with commission based jobs? The sales guys there make $6.50 an hour, they need some sort of incentive. Im not sales but I don't see a problem with people making change off of helping customers out.

james
04-11-2009, 03:23 PM
And whats wrong with commission based jobs?

i just hate getting hounded by people to buy something. If I say "no thanks I'm just looking" they give me a bad look. And then some other guy will come up to me and ask the same fucking question. Its like a car dealership. I had no problem with it yesterday, but other times it can be a hassle. Especially when there are way more sales people than there are customers. Then, when I already had my commission ticket in my hand and was walking around the store, I still had people asking if they could write me a ticket for it. fuck!

The only plus side is when people genuinely need help. Then there are plenty of people ready to help.

just out of curiosity what is the commission rate over there do you know?

xbn83
04-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Not that much! I have couple friends who work over there at the computer department. They told me that they'll make commission as long as the customer won't return the items. Let say you buy something today, and they will make $20 commission. They get paid at the end of the week. 3 weeks later you come back, and return the item. The same amount of the commission was given will be taken back out of their paycheck.

james
04-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Not that much! I have couple friends who work over there at the computer department. They told me that they'll make commission as long as the customer won't return the items. Let say you buy something today, and they will make $20 commission. They get paid at the end of the week. 3 weeks later you come back, and return the item. The same amount of the commission was given will be taken back out of their paycheck.

wow that sucks.

just another reason not to work commission jobs. its such a cut throat environment....seriously, have you ever walked into brandsmart? wow. just wow.

.blank cd
04-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I paid 26 out the door from the same card @ Microcenter. FTMFW

.blank cd
04-12-2009, 12:50 PM
ohhh, nvm, you said 16gb

Tarzanman
04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I have no reason to need that much space on a camera memory card. I use an 8GB SD card in the XSi, but I make sure to not fill it up because it takes forEVER to transfer them onto a PC when there are that many at once.

My ultracompact SD630 has a 2GB and I have a spare 1GB lying around somewhere

Sentra
04-12-2009, 07:19 PM
i have 4 1 gb, im always kinda scared of losing ALL my pictures on one card.

james
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
i have 4 1 gb, im always kinda scared of losing ALL my pictures on one card.

yeah. that would suck. lots of pros do the same. that is, if they aren't next to or tethered to a computer already. I like this because 1080p vid takes up a shitload of space.

mister_ej2
04-13-2009, 07:42 AM
I have one of the 4GB Extreme III cards....need to get one or two more and have been thinking about the Kingston brand. Let us know how they work out for you...I've just been scared because they are so much cheaper...but maybe they do just fine!

speedminded
04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
i just hate getting hounded by people to buy something. If I say "no thanks I'm just looking" they give me a bad look. And then some other guy will come up to me and ask the same fucking question. Its like a car dealership. I had no problem with it yesterday, but other times it can be a hassle. Especially when there are way more sales people than there are customers. Then, when I already had my commission ticket in my hand and was walking around the store, I still had people asking if they could write me a ticket for it. fuck!

The only plus side is when people genuinely need help. Then there are plenty of people ready to help.

just out of curiosity what is the commission rate over there do you know?I've been there 3 times the past week during different shifts and never once been hounded :dunno:

What speed is the card?!

depends on the brand. I work in Fry's in that same department. There are cheap harddrives but If it wasn't Western Digital or Seagate it probably won't last that long.

And whats wrong with commission based jobs? The sales guys there make $6.50 an hour, they need some sort of incentive. Im not sales but I don't see a problem with people making change off of helping customers out.You work at the Milton/Alpharetta location?

AE86Raptor
04-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I will shop Fry's over Best Buy and I have found some good deal there. I also will try to stay with name brand items and I got a 4GB Transcend CF 120x for my DSLR for about $12. I have a total of 6GB of memory in mine (4GB CF and 2 GB xD). I mainly use the 4GB for the higher speed for burst shots and the higher buffer. I haven't had any issues with being hounded by associates either.