PDA

View Full Version : Cluster with RPM Gauge for 94 Civic Dx

TxMxT
04-09-2009, 08:41 PM
:doh:
Long story short
I AM A NOOB
(if you want read below for the very very very long one), I've realized I'm not too technical with cars. So I'm going to slowwwly start up into fixing cars(especially mine). Yeah I'm poor so I'll try my best. I want to start with something easy so I want to know what instrument cluster with rpm gauge will fit a 94 civic dx and obviously work with no problems. Thanks for the help.

Okay so my car cuts off on me couple days ago while I was heading back home. This was when I was going up a hill. It suddenly just dies. At first I thought that idiot behind me hit my car. I was in second gear with a stock engine civic climbing a hill... He/she/it was really close to my car. Anyways I tried restarting my car and the engine won't turn on. You can hear the Starter kick but no response from the engine. It was late night so I just let the car roll down the hill and park in a parking spot. Yeah lucky me there was a parking area at the bottom of the hill. Of course my car was sticking out halfway into the road area cause that was as far as it rolled. I walked the rest of the way home.
NEXT DAY
Looked around for a mechanic shop. There was one about one block down the road and right across the street from the car. YES!!! Yeah but then I called the towing people.... cost $60 dollars to tow. Down the road and across the street! It was like less than 200 Yards. If I stand at the top of the hill I can see the Mechanic shop. So I gave up and went home. After some thinking with my friend. We came up with the bright idea to rent a truck from Home Depot to help tow the car up the hill. We can push the rest of the way. HEHE. You know how much that costs? $20 dollars. 20! Oh yeah and some towing rope another. 20 dollars I'll be returning those later anyways = no costs. So the whole towing fee was 20 dollars no gas wasted either since Home depot was really close. Well then got the car to the mechanic and left it there.
The following day
Mechanic called told me that the ignition coil had gone bad. How much it cost to replace? $316 Dollars ... Now I know that mechanics are people they work hard, have families, etc. But $316 dollars??? wat wat. Well, well I did some more thinking with my friend. Researched a little bout that ignition coil stuff. Figured out we go ahead and try to replace it ourselves. Oh yeah did I mention the mechanic decided to charge me $80 for inspection... of course he failed to mentioned that until I said "Hey I'm a poor college student and can't afford your $316 work so I want my car back". I'd not be so angry if he informed me that when he told me it'll cost me $316 for the repairs. *sighs*
Going on
So in the end it cost about $100 dollars to get that ignition coil fixed. $20 dollars for towing and 80 for a brand new one from Advance Auto Parts... Then I realized all we had to do was unscrew like a dozen screws. Unplug the old ignition coil and plug in the new one. Rescrew all the screws and *poof* like magic the cars STARTS!!! That took my friend and I probably like an hour or so, we noobs. Some of you could probably do it in less time it take to read this whole thing.
OMG
Was that the easiest thing I've done in my life or what? It was like simple plug and play... $316 - $100 = $216 dollars in savings. It was like if my power supply blew on my computer. Just buy a new one unplug all the cables and take off screws. Then just instert new PSU and computer will resume working like normal (I'm more used to computers and can fix just about any computer problem). That type of service I charge like $20 for. Like I said before I understand mechanics are hard working people but like $216 is redicoulous. Anyways I'll take that complaing elsewhere. If you actually read this whole part "Thanks" if you understand. I'll be posting more questions in the future.

Barefoot
04-09-2009, 11:59 PM
any 92-95 civic that had a tach ex i know for sure. as far as the coil goes book time is only .5 of an hour coil 59.99. u cant forget his diag time most places its 1 hour. it will wouldn't come out to 316 unless there labor is crazy hi.

six7teen
04-10-2009, 01:34 AM
i read the short part, lol.. i believe the 4 dr LX models have the tach too, and will also bolt straight in..

Barefoot
04-10-2009, 04:03 AM
i read the short part, lol.. i wasnt going to read it either cliffs are he got a over charged estimate, fix himself, saved money.

TxMxT
04-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the Replies.
Now for another part of the question.
Does it matter if the cluster is for automatic or manual?
As in can I put a cluster for an automatic car in my manual car?

Barefoot
04-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Does it matter if the cluster is for automatic or manual?
no doesnt matter