PDA

View Full Version : fixing your iphone glass

Paul
04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
it is a pain in the ass...

getting it apart; it is tuff to get screen/digitalizer off phone w/o messing up the outer rubber seal - the tools most companies send you are pointless. i found a sharp kitchen knife to be far better to pull it apart.

2nd tip order glass/digitalizer; no way you are going to be able to just replace the glass.

separating glass from speaker/lower button from sucks shit is factory glued together! gotta be careful b/c easily can break frame. breaking the glass left on frame after separating can cause some injury wear surgical gloves ;)

putting it back together is pretty easy just needs super glue to put the glass + frame together. one issue putting it back together is getting the old seal to fit back properly.

over all experience 3/10 - i would highly suggest just paying apple or a pro to do it if you are OCD or a perfectionist like me when it comes to work. everything works fine and it is hardly noticeable but seal isn't perfect all the way around and button slightly lower than stock form now. :no:

eg mike
04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Do you know how much it costs for apple to do? I crack the shit out of my phone thursday ;(

mocha latte cupcake
04-21-2009, 04:46 PM
#1 reason i do NOT own anything that comes in a box labelled.... "NOT JM PROOF"

gtikid
04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
it is a pain in the ass...

getting it apart; it is tuff to get screen/digitalizer off phone w/o messing up the outer rubber seal - the tools most companies send you are pointless. i found a sharp kitchen knife to be far better to pull it apart.

2nd tip order glass/digitalizer; no way you are going to be able to just replace the glass.

separating glass from speaker/lower button from sucks shit is factory glued together! gotta be careful b/c easily can break frame. breaking the glass left on frame after separating can cause some injury wear surgical gloves ;)

putting it back together is pretty easy just needs super glue to put the glass + frame together. one issue putting it back together is getting the old seal to fit back properly.

over all experience 3/10 - i would highly suggest just paying apple or a pro to do it if you are OCD or a perfectionist like me when it comes to work. everything works fine and it is hardly noticeable but seal isn't perfect all the way around and button slightly lower than stock form now. :no:

I've been meaning to hit you up about this...that much of a pain in the ass huh? You think it's worth the $120?

Paul
04-22-2009, 08:25 AM
I've been meaning to hit you up about this...that much of a pain in the ass huh? You think it's worth the $120?

pay to have it done - for 2 major reasons...

1) glass is attached to frame w/ glue - you have to get all of the glass off before you can install new shit and it is a pain in the ass (i broke my frame doing it). furthermore you have to superglue shit back together to put back together

2) buy glass + digitalizer b/c buying the glass alone is a scam - i would love to know how you can get glass/digitalizer apart :rolleyes:

granted i got it done for 40$ but it isn't perfect and i would of preferred to pay 200$ to get it perfect

white_rice
04-27-2009, 08:56 PM
my cousin got his fixed at some store that apple referred him to on lawrenceville Suwanee i believe? and they fix 3g for 100$ and 2g for 200$