PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Unveiled (LLN)

VooDooXII
04-08-2009, 08:54 AM
Chrysler's big debut at the New York Auto Show this year is the 2011 Jeep (http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep.htm) Grand Cherokee, which has been fully redesigned from the ground up. The new SUV is built on a proven rear-wheel-drive unibody platform sharing the same underpinnings as the Mercedes (http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-benz.htm)-Benz ML-Class.

The launch of the new Grand Cherokee marks the first application of company’s new, flexible fuel 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine, which features Variable-Valve Timing, 280 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm. Also available is a 5.7-liter HEMI V8, generating 360 hp and 390 lb-ft of torque at 4,250 rpm. The HEMI features VVT and fuel-saving Multi-displacement System (MDS) technology with dual exhaust to maximize efficiency.

Torsional stiffness is 146 percent more than the current Grand Cherokee and stiffer than the BMW (http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw.htm) X5 and Toyota (http://www.leftlanenews.com/toyota.htm) Highlander, according to Chrysler. The Quadra-Lift air suspension system delivers off-road capability along with the new Selec-Terrain system that allows the driver to choose the drive system that best matches on- or off-road conditions. New front and rear independent suspension systems deliver better on-road handling and comfort, the company claims. Quadra-Lift adds up to 4.5 inches of lift span that is supported by four-corner air springs that provide a cushioned, premium ride. Quadra-Lift operates automatically, or may be controlled manually via console controls.

The interior has been revamped with better materials and overall aesthetics. An available all-new CommandView dual-pane sun roof provides twice as much glass surface than a standard sun roof and extends from the windshield to the rear of the vehicle. The front panel can be opened rearward, providing additional light and fresh air to first-row passengers. The rear panel, which is fixed, allows light and open viewing for second-row passengers and comes standard with a power sun shade.

The vehicle’s 114.8-inch wheelbase is 5.3 inches longer than the model it replaces and contributes to an overall vehicle length that is 1.8 inches longer than the prior model. The longer wheelbase creates more interior room and gives passengers an additional 4 inches of rear-seat knee and leg room. The vehicle also is 3 inches wider. The front doors have larger openings — by about two inches in height and width — while the rear doors open wider — 78 degrees versus 67 degrees — for improved access to the interior.

For added passenger comfort, rear seats recline 12 degrees. There’s also a 12-degree forward angle to allow 24 degrees of variation. Cargo volume behind the second-row has increased by 6.8 cubic feet, to 36.3 cubic feet total. An available fold-flat front-passenger seat provides even more cargo storage room. An all-new power rear liftgate is available, controlled via the key fob.

Seventeen-inch wheels are standard and deliver off-road capability, while optional 18-inch and 20-inch wheels can be ordered.

The standard “uconnect guardian” will automatically call emergency services in the event of an accident. Other features include remote door unlocking, roadside assistance, a stolen vehicle locator, and an “emergency call” feature.

Standard safety features include Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), four-wheel Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) with rough-road detection, and the four-wheel Brake Traction Control System (BTCS). Other safety features include full-length side-curtain air bags which extend protection to front and rear outboard passengers, seat-mounted side thorax air bags that enhance protection for the driver and front passenger and active head restraints which deploy in the event of a rear collision.

The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee also features SIRIUS Travel Link, offering up-to-the minute information about gas prices, weather conditions, sports scores and movie listings. In addition, the all-new 2011 Grand Cherokee features SIRIUS Traffic, which monitors traffic in 78 markets across the U.S.

The all-new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee will be built at the 2.7-million-square-foot Jefferson North Assembly Plant (JNAP) in Detroit, which has been the site of Grand Cherokee production since its introduction in 1992

I really like this. Nice aggressive styling, hugely improved interior...the back sort of reminds me of the WRX 5-door, but I think the execution works better here. The 5000 RPM tach makes me think a diesel engine might be available...I'd be all over that, and I'm not even big into SUVs.

EDIT: Mods please move this to "Car Talk"...pictures aren't working for some reason. Thanks! :goodjob:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/jeep-grand-cherokee.html

OTG Signs
04-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Looks like a Jeep Grand Cherokee to me.

aaronfelipe
04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Yeah, looks very similar. They need to come up with something more different.

Ran
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Looks like a Cherokee but refined. It has a sleeker new look. It's not very Jeep-ish though.

DieselNuts
04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I like the headlights of the current model more. Also, the tail lights look like they came straight from suburu

Brian*
04-08-2009, 11:35 AM
I like it!