PDA

View Full Version : Years to make to Six Figure Jobs in Atlanta?

Norlan
04-07-2009, 04:21 PM
How many years required to gain enough experience to take on six figure jobs available in Atlanta? Please cite some examples from what you learn from real life.

AirMax95
04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Depends on your field and education. What do you do, or looking to do?

Blitanicle99
04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, I'm 20 years old. I am halfway through college, just about to have my associates degree.

I'm not at 6 figures yet, but I'm somewhat close.

I am in the construction field. I am a project manager.

Ive been doing construction since I was 16, and have gotten experience in the field quite a bit. I happen to know Roofing/Siding/Gutters extremely well and I get paid for my knowledge.

Unfortunately enough, I am a prime example that you do not need school to make money. My college courses had no effect on me getting this job.

drpepper14
04-07-2009, 07:20 PM
It depends on a lot...i'm working on my Masters in Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics and currently make nowhere near 6 figures, but out of graduate school I will quickly reach that goal in a clinical setting

Norlan
04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Depends on your field and education. What do you do, or looking to do?

well, which field and what kind of education is needed in order to make as much as 6 figures salary, specifically in here Atlanta?

I was thinking about getting into investment banks, but are there such opportunities in metro Atlanta?

Norlan
04-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Well, I'm 20 years old. I am halfway through college, just about to have my associates degree.

I'm not at 6 figures yet, but I'm somewhat close.

I am in the construction field. I am a project manager.

Ive been doing construction since I was 16, and have gotten experience in the field quite a bit. I happen to know Roofing/Siding/Gutters extremely well and I get paid for my knowledge.

Unfortunately enough, I am a prime example that you do not need school to make money. My college courses had no effect on me getting this job.
family-run business/insider connection?

BanginJimmy
04-12-2009, 08:48 PM
dont bother going to school in GA if you want to get into investment banking. You need to go to a school like Vandy, Standford, Northwestern, or an Ivy League to get that big money right off.

You also need to go straight through for your masters as a BA wont do you much good.

tony
04-12-2009, 09:01 PM
How about finding something you love to do rather than worry about figures? Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life..

VegetaRules
04-12-2009, 09:22 PM
3 weeks! Go to truck driving school, & go be an owner-operator! lol They make 6 figures unless they're doing something wrong! I have 2 buddies that are owner-operators & that's what they make.:goodjob:....Vegeta

_Christian_
04-12-2009, 09:35 PM
How about finding something you love to do rather than worry about figures? Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life..
Great post :goodjob:

JDM onlyy
04-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Great post :goodjob:

I agree! I was gonna write the same thing.

tony
04-12-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm just saying... I have two jobs right now. Air Force Reserves of which I am an E2 making, not a whole lot period. And my other job, AT&T.. I average about $61k a year there.

I am loving the military and specifically there Air Force. I grew up in it, it feels natural and I am dreading going back to AT&T when my training is over. I'll much rather take the job I enjoy because what I get out of it is so much more than just a pay check. Will I always feel this way? Probably not but I certainly know I could care less about the monotonous no-leadership good paying job.

Money isn't everything, rather than ask us how to get to six figures ask yourself what you are passionate about.. do it well and the figures will come.

Humphrizzle
04-13-2009, 02:07 AM
I'm enlisting in the navy as an IT (Information Technologist)

My the training and schooling I will receive in the navy will most definitely land me a job at any company landing near 70k a year.

6 figures is a hard accomplishment.. especially in this economy. Aim high but don't be discouraged when you haven't hit that 100k/year mark yet.

SampaGuy
04-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I read an article somewhere. MBA from one of the top 20 schools and you will be starting at over $100k.

Either way this thread is retarded.

Norlan
04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I read an article somewhere. MBA from one of the top 20 schools and you will be starting at over $100k.

Either way this thread is retarded.

I bet that article was written in the year before 2008 or based on situations before 2008.

just read this:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/30279110
Business Grads Looking Beyond Wall Street

SampaGuy
04-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I bet that article was written in the year before 2008 or based on situations before 2008.

Yes I think so. But the article says that salaries haven't changed, only bonuses have been cut down and its harder to find a job overall. If undergrads are still starting at $55k-$70k + bonuses, the MBAs are probably still over 100k.

afwfjustin
04-19-2009, 05:47 PM
^it depends on the industry. My gf is finishing with her masters from Emory this month and she will be nowhere near 70K. In fact her part time job which offered her a full time just ended up taking it back, and she has to look elsewhere.

If you want to make 100K, marry rich :)

GIXXERDK
04-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Thats BS work will always be work.

terminus2k
04-20-2009, 02:19 PM
also, investment banks are no longer investment banks...sure there are some opportunities that will combine banking, and investing..but think of the tens of thousands of people in ny alone that have tons of experience and ivy league education. not much of a market for that in atlanta..unfortunately. thats what i wanted to do, before last year

Verik
04-23-2009, 12:37 AM
dont bother going to school in GA if you want to get into investment banking.

First off, you're a dumbass... simple as that. UGA's Terry College of Business is ranked 3rd in Finance among public school's MBA programs. GSU's Robinson College of Business is ranked 5th once again, in finance among MBA Programs.

You need to go to a school like Vandy, Standford, Northwestern, or an Ivy League to get that big money right off.

Once again, bullshit. In fact, you didn't even list the truly prestigious business schools (private or public, other than a generic "ivy league" and even then, only certain ivy league schools sport strong business programs). Shows how much you know.....

You also need to go straight through for your masters as a BA wont do you much good.

You obviously know nothing of master's programs as they require you to take a atleast year and a half worth of undergraduate "BBA" courses as prerequisites and thats only if your coming in with 5+ years of professional experience in the field that your pursuing (honestly, enjoy wasting the application fee if you just walk out to any school, take the gmat and apply without significant experience in your industry and without a 4 year degree... granted a BBA is more valuable since you will already have your prereq's done and be able to do a 1 year MBA program). Also remember that nowadays unless you fall in the catagory of a corporation's grandfather clause, you are required to have a 4 year degree for 99.99% of jobs in the finance industry. Therefore unless you are someone who has worked in the industry for many years and is coming to get an MBA to get past the glass ceiling, you most likely will not be accepted without a bachelor's degree first.

To the OP, regarding investment banking.... the finance industry as a whole is suffering rather severely. This can be a pro or con depending on your position. Obviously this is a challenge to you if you are currently looking for a job and already have a degree (as there are thousands of people out there with experience and degrees in the same position as you). However if you are currently in school this environment has some positive news for you. Honestly those jobs on wallstreet weren't "destroyed" with the credit crisis. They are more or less just "unavailable". As the cyclical nature of the economy self rights this trough, we will see many of those jobs return and the best news is, the majority of those employees who filled those jobs before will have already pursued other work. This is going to leave a need in the finance industry for those with MBA's in accounting, finance and MS's economics.

And terminus2k, investment banks are very much still investment banks. I guarantee you that BoA, GS, AIG, etc are still employing investment bankers.... The basic definition of an investment banker is a financial trader who represents his company and invest's his company's capital in markets. To the OP, there are several divisions in investment banking, I suggest you find the one that suits you the most... The generic 4 are Operations, Research, S&T, and IBD.