PDA

View Full Version : myths about titles?

ash7
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
So, from what i have always been told and understood to be true. Was that if a car was over 25 years old it did not need to have a title? From what everyone around here that owns an antique car is telling me, is that this is true. However, I'm finding contradictory information online about the registration process.

myth #1) you don't need a title to get the car registered
A: yes... yes you do. Apparently if you do not have a title, the process to getting one is almost identical to getting one for a salvaged vehicle.

myth #2) your car is eligible for an antique tag if its 18 years old.
A: wrong. 25 years. (i think they bumped it up a couple recently, i remember it being 23 for some reason)

Turns out, even if you DO have a title, it's still a pain. Thumbs down to the bureaucracy.

Here's a link for my source. If I am wrong, please let me know.
http://www.dmv.com/ga/georgia/custom-vehicle-registration

-jonathan

quickdodgeŽ
04-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I had no problems getting my car registered here. I had no title to mine when I got it. In fact, it had never been registered in this state before. What I had to do was call the local police dept. and they sent out an officer. He did a check over the car to make sure it was "road-worthy." He then does a vehicle background check. This verifies that the car is not "wanted" and is not stolen. Once that is verified, he signs a document that he brings with him stating that the car is registerable (made up word) in your name and you take that document down to the tag office and PRESTO! BLAMO!! You have a tagged and registered car.

That easy. Whole process takes less than an hour.

So no. You do NOT need a title to get registered.

It has been 25 years for a long time for an antique tag. Later, QD.

ash7
04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
I had no problems getting my car registered here. I had no title to mine when I got it. In fact, it had never been registered in this state before. What I had to do was call the local police dept. and they sent out an officer. He did a check over the car to make sure it was "road-worthy." He then does a vehicle background check. This verifies that the car is not "wanted" and is not stolen. Once that is verified, he signs a document that he brings with him stating that the car is registerable (made up word) in your name and you take that document down to the tag office and PRESTO! BLAMO!! You have a tagged and registered car.

That easy. Whole process takes less than an hour.

So no. You do NOT need a title to get registered.

It has been 25 years for a long time for an antique tag. Later, QD.

And that's that.

The walking encyclopedia of anything oldschool has spoken. :)

thanks QD. :goodjob:
-jonathan

quickdodgeŽ
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Lolol, no problem. Make sure, though, that you get the officer to come to you. Your house. Do NOT meet him anywhere or go to the station to have this done. Being that you are trying to register the car, it would be illegal for you to drive it. Later, QD.

ash7
04-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Lolol, no problem. Make sure, though, that you get the officer to come to you. Your house. Do NOT meet him anywhere or go to the station to have this done. Being that you are trying to register the car, it would be illegal for you to drive it. Later, QD.

ah yes, good point. :)

-jonathan

87 Turbo II
04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
I didn't even need an officer, all I needed to do was provide a bill of sale. no title needed.Fully registered and tagged.

Total_Blender
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Being that you are trying to register the car, it would be illegal for you to drive it. Later, QD.

You still have 30 days to get a tag same as if it were a newer vehicle. If you get pulled over you can show them the bill of sale and your insurance card showing the vehicle is covered (its happened to me a few times).

And you don't even need an inspection unless theres a mistake in the info or something. Maybe you needed an inspection because your car came from out-of-state?

I took my 1984 truck to get it registered the day after I bought it, and the previous owner had the VIN # wrong on the registration. I went to the police station (across the street) and had them do the inspection there. The whole thing took maybe 5 minutes and the officer didn't ask any questions.

All you need to register a car older than 1985 in GA is a bill of sale with the following (assuming the vehicle is not from out-of-state):

year
make
model
VIN #
mileage
date of purchase
signatures of buyer and seller

And of course proof of insurance. :goodjob:

Once you register a vehicle without a title, you can never register it with a title after that. Once a title is gone, its gone.

quickdodgeŽ
04-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I said it was out of state car. Later, QD.