PDA

View Full Version : Tinted taillights is illegal now?

willum14pb
04-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I dont know when this happened but i got pulled over an ticketed going 85 north/jimmy carter by a cop and ticketed for taillight tint. NO warning, just a ticket. Shenanigans. Since when did they make this illegal? I hate my Altezza Evo taillights.. they look rice. I need them tinted.

DynamicSound
04-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Per GA law, anything that you have done to alter your headlights and taillights can be considered illegal. Nothing new. The law is very vague, so anything can be called illegal. Basically, if it didn't come from the factory like that, you can be illegal.

Arm&hammer
04-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Per GA law, anything that you have done to alter your headlights and taillights can be considered illegal. Nothing new. The law is very vague, so anything can be called illegal. Basically, if it didn't come from the factory like that, you can be illegal.

so does that mean you can get a ticket for having ricer aftermarket taillights?

SampaGuy
04-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Since when did they make this illegal?

Like 10 years ago :screwy:

Motivation
04-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Technically, yes. If the lense does not have enough red lense then it is illegal. There has to be a red lense, can't be just a red bulb. Etc...

B00STedSvT
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
so does that mean you can get a ticket for having ricer aftermarket taillights?Unfortunately No...As far as the Tint on the Evo..Just tint them All red or something..It'll still look better that the stock ricer evo tails lol..I love evos but Damn..Them and is300's..what were they thinking on the tails?

EDIT: After market ricer tails are not illegal unless they donot have the red reflectors in them...What makes tinted tails illegal is that it basically covers the reflectors and dims the light from shining through when the brakes are engaged

willum14pb
04-05-2009, 04:04 PM
i've been pulled over multiple times and no cop has ever ticketed me for that. im confused :\

B00STedSvT
04-05-2009, 04:06 PM
i've been pulled over multiple times and no cop has ever ticketed me for that. im confused :\All cops are different...Some are more lenient on certain things..Maybe he was having a bad day:police:

BURRITO_mike
04-05-2009, 04:08 PM
This is just my opinion, but i thinks its the economy. Cops are trying to get that paper, so they'll get you for the little stuff. My cousin actually had his painted, and they never said anything about it for 2 years up until about 3 weeks ago.

B00STedSvT
04-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Same here...I drove around with my windows tinted for almost 2 years before i got a ticket..It just all depends on the cop and how his day is going lol

HEATON
04-05-2009, 05:15 PM

THEY SHOULD!! :tongue1:

DirtyMechanic
04-05-2009, 05:56 PM
so does that mean you can get a ticket for having ricer aftermarket taillights?yes if it doesnt have a DOT # molded into the lense.

Doppelgänger
04-05-2009, 06:09 PM
1) replace is with are
2)???
3)profit

The BUCKY
04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
its a per cop thing if they feel the need to ticket you they will

quickdodge®
04-05-2009, 06:27 PM
its a per cop thing if they feel the need to ticket you they will

It's not a "per cop thing." It's illegal. Later, QD.

Hulud
04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
it has always been illegal.

i got pulled over in my lude. he said i didnt have reflectors on my tails, i said "but they are stock" and he gave me a weird look so i added "with a little paint on them" and he let me go to work

On_Her_Face
04-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I dont know when this happened but i got pulled over an ticketed going 85 north/jimmy carter by a cop and ticketed for taillight tint. NO warning, just a ticket. Shenanigans. Since when did they make this illegal? I hate my Altezza Evo taillights.. they look rice. I need them tinted.

Tint them red, or get the JDM ones.

The BUCKY
04-05-2009, 10:19 PM
It's not a "per cop thing." It's illegal. Later, QD.

never said it wasnt illegal. said that if the cop feels like writing you a ticket he will. there is a limit though. to dark and they will deff mess with you. i have never heard of any of my customers getting ticketed for a light tint

Catnip
04-05-2009, 10:40 PM
lol @ OP thinking it's new.

Ricer.

*runs*

tdurr
04-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I thought the tinted tails were more along the lines of, you have to be able to see the lights clearly from 200ft away. Less then that and its illegal.
but i may be wrong.

ksniperfox
04-06-2009, 09:13 AM
This is just my opinion, but i thinks its the economy. Cops are trying to get that paper, .

and you are wrong. cops dont get paid on commission. if so, where do i sign up?

however, it is illegal and the cop is merely doing his job. dont like it? dont break the law and you wont have anything to worry about.

ksniperfox
04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
i have never heard of any of my customers getting ticketed for a light tint

i havent. nor have i even been stopped since you did mine.

yet.

Sammich
04-06-2009, 09:15 AM
question..can you not bake those tails and paint the inside? or get the IX MR tails (i think thats the ones thats smoked w/ amber)?

Paul
04-06-2009, 10:29 AM
i'm awaiting to get pulled over for mine (they are black when not on)

vkash1208
04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
my truck has tinted tail lights although the 3rd brake light at the top of the cab is still red. i am putting an LED light bar under the tailgate that has the red stop lights, yellow signals and white reverse lights built in them, although when i am not on the brakes you wont know the bar is there.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/LED_light_bar/scanning_led_tailgate_light_bar.htm

anyone know if this will keep me legal??

DirtyMechanic
04-06-2009, 04:07 PM
my truck has tinted tail lights although the 3rd brake light at the top of the cab is still red. i am putting an LED light bar under the tailgate that has the red stop lights, yellow signals and white reverse lights built in them, although when i am not on the brakes you wont know the bar is there.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/LED_light_bar/scanning_led_tailgate_light_bar.htm

anyone know if this will keep me legal??wtf have you been boy.. come to sonic this thursday fool

Friggintitsman
04-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Look at the bright side if you were black you would have gone to jail. Maybe a beating prior to your arrest.

Total_Blender
04-06-2009, 05:00 PM

They should give you a ticket, smash the lights in front of you and impound the car untill you put the stock lights back on. :lmfao:

I don't know how many times I've gotten behind an EF or EG civic and not been able to see the brake lights/turn signals on their crappy APC/Ebay taillights.:2up: