PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Which Glock to get?

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Ok i'll admit right up front i'm new to guns. period.

I've done some research and have plenty of friends and some that are well qualified to give advice, and i've been told a Glock or Sig is the handgun to buy...but this is just advice from friends.

I want to buy a handgun for home defense and I will be getting my license to carry/conceal.

I will be going to the range in the next week or so and renting a few different guns, but i'm mainly looking at a .40 or 9mm for the ability to have a combination of stopping power/mag capacity.

I have been looking at the G23 because it is affordable, .40, and can carry up to 17 rounds which should be enough, hopefully.
Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind:
1. Reliability
2. Affordability
3. Size
4. Stopping power
5. Magazine Size
6. Customization

VTECking
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok i'll admit right up front i'm new to guns. period.

I've done some research and have plenty of friends and some that are well qualified to give advice, and i've been told a Glock or Sig is the handgun to buy...but this is just advice from friends.

I want to buy a handgun for home defense and I will be getting my license to carry/conceal.

I will be going to the range in the next week or so and renting a few different guns, but i'm mainly looking at a .40 or 9mm for the ability to have a combination of stopping power/mag capacity.

I have been looking at the G23 because it is affordable, .40, and can carry up to 17 rounds which should be enough, hopefully.
Any thoughts/ideas/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind:
1. Reliability
2. Affordability
3. Size
4. Stopping power
5. Magazine Size
6. Customization
Glock 17 9mm

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
any reasons why?

VTECking
04-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Porb the best glock made "even though all glocks are good". These glock are know as "combat tupperware" because parts of them are a high quality extra durable plastic and like I said, the gun is very tough. Just think of it as the AK-47 of the pistol world.

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 06:57 PM
I like the G17, but i'm looking at getting one of the compact models so it is easier to conceal when I do carry it.

If I went with a 9mm, i'd probably get the 19 since it's the compact version of the 17.
Any objections to getting a compact over a standard glock?

DieselNuts
04-02-2009, 07:06 PM
since you are new to guns and plan on getting a carry license, I HIGHLY recommend that you take some sort of gun safety course so you can keep yourself safe as well as others.

As far as stopping power, I would get a .40 over a 9mm any day of the week. I mean, sure, a double tap to the head w/a 9mm will do the trick, but since you are new to guns, that isn't a very likely scenario. I prefer a .45 cal, but that's just me.

also, I've never bought into the Glock hype. I mean, sure, they are great guns, but there are other brands out there that are just as reliable such as HK, Springfield & Smith & Wesson. I read an artical on the Springfield XD where it went through the Glock torture test after it already had 15k rounds through it and had 0 malfunctions after the test. That being said, you might want to consider a gun that has more than a "trigger safty" for your first gun.

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah the trigger safety is of some concern to me, but I fully intend on taking a safety course and any courses I can find on shooting/troubleshooting/maintaining my gun.

I like the trigger safety however because in the chance that I am defending my home and my wife, I don't want to get nervous and make the mistake of trying to fire my weapon with the safety on.

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I will also be firing a .45 glock if I can get my hands on one, because a .45 is not out of the question.

Danny
04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
good luck finding .45 ammo to run through the rental :D

I think you will be happy with any glock you choose, unless you choose the G36 (its kind of the red headed step child of glock, somthing isnt right with that ugly kiddo).

Choose the size you want, which sounds like you have done. Then compare the glock models to the springer XD models and decide from there which you think is mathmatically better for your application. Make sure to at least hold a springfield and a glock, thier grip angles are very different and alot of people are very partial to one or the other due to this.

caliber. Age old argument. My only recomendation is to buy the caliber you can shoot well, and afford to shoot often.

I would steer clear from smith and wessons M&P line, and Taurus. Your on the right track with glock. Its one ugly ass gun, but it runs most of the time.

Or you could be a real man and buy a 1911. :D

VTECking
04-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I mean what I would really recommend is a 1911. I would take a 1911 over a glock any day. You probably want to get a Springfield, or a Colt. But if you want a cheap 1911 and fires and shoots just as good as any other, get the Rock Island 1911.

Danny
04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
ewww rock island... yuckkkkkkk lol

Hey e36. why does your tagline say future f-15 ace?

Danny
04-02-2009, 07:46 PM
drpepper. Want the best advice on the planet?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9cHkMILP4_A/RoGP2ZFkRqI/AAAAAAAAARk/lorJo92ROb0/s400/MilSPec.jpg

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
well i'm just looking for an affordable gun at the moment...as I gain experience and shoot more often I plan on picking up a nicer/high end gun. I'll compare the XD and glock for sure because that is not the first time I have heard that people love one or the other.

Are there any good and informative gun forums? I plan on buying my gun new, but if I can find a nice used one I will also look into that.

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
which springfield armory is that? 1911 I assume by your previous posts?

VTECking
04-02-2009, 07:49 PM
ewww rock island... yuckkkkkkk lol

Hey e36. why does your tagline say future f-15 ace?
Gonna fly the F-15 before it goes out of service. And when I go in service Im pretty sure that I will see some sort of combat with things heating up in the middle east "particularly Iran w/them trying to make nukes".

VTECking
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
which springfield armory is that? 1911 I assume by your previous posts?
Yup, Springfield 1911. Just get the cheapest one that they make, and dont get the OPERATOR because I'm sure you have no need for a rail and a threaded barrell if you want it as a carry weapon.

Danny
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
its a springer Mil-Spec. You can get a the model just below it for about 400 bucks used (that model is the GI). I see them quite often surprisingly.

gun forums?

www.1911forum.com

no i am not biased. :ninja:

Danny
04-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Oh and i should give a warning about 1911s. They are not glocks, and dont try to be. Alot of people LOVE them, some dont care and some dislike them. I would only recommend getting one if you find you LOVE it. They are a piece of art, and some times can be tricky to get running right once you buy it.

Danny
04-02-2009, 07:57 PM
here is the GI model. The entry level 1911 made by springfield.

Its a WW2 reproduction (its exactly like the issued 1911 our troops carried in WW2)

http://www.gunshopfinder.com/springfield/PW9609L.jpg

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6347/pw9108lpoo1.gif

81911SC
04-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I honestly don't recommend a 1911 to someone new. I'm not a Glock guy either though. Try the XD's also. Same as Glock if that's what you like. Make sure it fits your hand, that's what's important. Stopping power is bullshit and a stupid argument. JHP's will do the trick in 9mm, so don't think they won't.
I have a Sig Sauer personally.

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah i'm going to stick to trying out the Glock and XD, but if I find a Sig Sauer to rent I will try it also. If not, I have a friend that has a few different Sigs that I can try

81911SC
04-02-2009, 09:08 PM
You will like them man, I love my P250.

BanginJimmy
04-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I love my Glock 23. It fits my hand perfectly, it fires great and is very smooth.

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 09:58 PM
has anyone ever checked out Ed's Pawn in Stockbridge? Apparently it's pretty popular for Glocks, especially LE trade ins.

Danny
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
"LE trade ins" - isnt that code for "used often, never cleaned" ? :D

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 10:19 PM
Probably, but over on GON forums some people seem to love the place.

Are there any local places I can go to look @ new glocks?

Truegiant
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
drpepper. Want the best advice on the planet?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_9cHkMILP4_A/RoGP2ZFkRqI/AAAAAAAAARk/lorJo92ROb0/s400/MilSPec.jpg

wow.. I dont even have balls that big. Def. not the best entry level 1911 in my eyes.. with that being said ..

Get what suits you best and then run ammo through the gun that suits it best.

Anywho..

E36-ace.. have you actually spoken with anyone about how hard it is to fly fighters in the military? And please dont say "well the recruiter said i could"

no thread jacking intended.

Truegiant
04-02-2009, 10:35 PM
"LE trade ins" - isnt that code for "used often, never cleaned" ? :D

yeah but come on.. most le trade ins locally never see more than 1000 rounds in there life. I know the yearly qualifications are like 100 rounds at most of the smaller depts. And then the only reason they do trade ins most of the time is when they get a new sherriff - approx every four years, haha

drpepper14
04-02-2009, 11:03 PM
I'll probably check that place out when I get a chance, but I would rather find a good place locally that I can pickup a Glock and/or a Springer XD that is brand new

Danny
04-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Gonna fly the F-15 before it goes out of service. And when I go in service Im pretty sure that I will see some sort of combat with things heating up in the middle east "particularly Iran w/them trying to make nukes".

Carful buddy. No one has the right to claim future service. Your going to step on ALOT of toes with that attitude.

But good luck man, getting a pilots seat is slim pickings!

Danny
04-03-2009, 08:10 AM
wow.. I dont even have balls that big. Def. not the best entry level 1911 in my eyes.. with that being said ..

as i said, im biased :D

And its by far the best entry level 1911 for build up.

Anyways. Back on topic, TACTICAL TUBERWEAR ONLY! :D

drpepper14
04-03-2009, 03:01 PM
After some more research i'll probably stick to the G23.

drpepper14
04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Actually found some .40 S&W at walmart tonight for 12.47 a box while there were 10 other people standing around asking if they had any 9mm, 45acp and .357.

It seems to be an ammo I can find easily so a .40 glock seems to be a good route. I think i'm going to head over to adventure outdoors tomorrow to take a look and see if they have some guns in stock.

Any other places local to look?

Danny
04-03-2009, 08:44 PM
i was adventure outdoors today. i quickly peeked in the springer case. they have a decent selection of XDs and XDMs. They always have a crack ton of blocks in stock.

drpepper14
04-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Good to know. Do they have a range and rentals there? I've never been and just heard it's a good place to look at guns.

If everything works out, and they do have a range...i'll probably walk out of there with a glock which I have a feeling will be my first of many firearms.

BanginJimmy
04-03-2009, 10:13 PM
If AA doesnt have one, I know Hot Shots had a G23 and a G19 a couple weeks ago.

Danny
04-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Like jimmy said what was called "hot shots" down the road from AA is a good place to, they have a range and a tiny pro shop (dont expect a big selection, but what they have is usally at a fair price). Hot shots is now called wild west traders, google maps them. They are literally 3 minutes down the road from AA. So hit both at the same time.

WWT (wild west traders) has a range and rental guns too.

drpepper14
04-03-2009, 10:28 PM
yeah I just looked it up and I will stop by there for sure tomorrow. Question though.

Like I said in my orig. post: I'm completely new to guns, but obviously want to fire the one I want to buy before I buy it. Never been to a gun range, and haven't shot anything before...so any tips for going to a range for the first time? I'm sure they get new guys in there a lot, especially in these times of guns and ammo flying off the shelves. I'll probably stop by AO and look at their selection and prices, and then head to WWT to check out their stuff and fire it.

Danny
04-03-2009, 11:29 PM
tips? Ask for help if your not sure about somthing. And look up the 4 basic rules of gun safety, and follow them.

good luck man, weekends are busy. i prefer weekday evenings. expect a wait to get on the range past noon on the weekends.

drpepper14
04-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah i've read the 4 rules repeatedly.

Always assume all guns are loaded unless you personally cleared it yourself, and if you turn your back...it is loaded again.

Don't point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to shoot

Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are on target and ready to shoot

Always be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I believe those are the 4 rules you are speaking of??? Yeah i'm assuming the range will be busy tomorrow, but worst case scenario I get to take a look at the guns and get a feel for the ones i'm looking at. If they are busy i'll just go back later this week so I can get some more personal help because I obviously want all the help I can get.

AlanŽ
04-04-2009, 01:03 AM
You will like them man, I love my P250.
Hey ive been meaning to ask you if you had any experience or opinoions on the 220

Danny
04-04-2009, 07:26 AM
the wait usually isnt more than 30 minutes. So when you get there ask how long the wait is, if your like 5 or 6 names down the list that should be around 30-35min.

Just stroll around the little store and take a look. Decent selection of clean supplies, some holsters, few flashlights to keep you busy for the 30 minutes.

And yes, those are the 4 rules.

drpepper14
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Didn't get a chance to go check anything out today, but I have the day off monday and will be shooting and probably buying the G23

BanginJimmy
04-04-2009, 06:18 PM
I may be heading out to WWT on either monday or tuesday to run a hundred or so rounds through mine.

How much is a lane over a AO?

Tuan
04-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Glock 19 or Springfield XD9 are not bad guns. Sigs are nice but can get pricey, Sig p250 or 228 are really nice. I would go rent one first and see how you do with DA first though, because it's not everyones cup of tea.

Danny
04-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Adventure Outdoors doesnt have a range Jimmy.

WWT is 10 an hour. And during the weekdays they are pretty good about letting u go a little over and not charging u. Shoot me a PM if u go monday to WWT, i need to run my 1911 some more.

preferredduck
04-04-2009, 08:25 PM
i just bought a glock 23 2 weeks ago for my first gun and i love it. the 9mm is more accurate for multiple rounds for me, but with practive with the .40 i have gotten a lot better. the XD's are very nice also. i got a deal on my glock new($400) so i could not pass it up, but if i did not get it and XD was 2nd in line. go rent a few and see how they feel for you, i was afraid a .40 would be too much for me for my first gun, but after renting and shooting my g/f glock .45 i was sold on the .40. 9mm wasn't enough for me. where do you live b/c i am planning on going to the range within the week again.

drpepper14
04-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I live in Kennesaw, so WWT and AO are both good places for me to check out guns and shoot at WWT.

I've also been told about a range on barrett pkwy and bells ferry???

Either way let me know if anyone goes up to WWT to shoot on monday or tuesday, the name is Zach and i'm your avg 6 foot white guy with a beard so say hey to the gun newb if you see me

Danny
04-04-2009, 10:10 PM
id like to go monday most likley

BanginJimmy
04-04-2009, 10:24 PM
We could set up a range date for Monday. What time is good for everyone? I like to get in there as early as possible to avoid the crowds as best I can.

Danny
04-04-2009, 10:28 PM
i cant go till around 6. i work during the day. :(

drpepper14
04-04-2009, 10:37 PM
I'll probably be there earlier in the day after I stop by AO because I have class on monday nights.

BanginJimmy
04-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Let me know when everyone wants to be there. I dont start classes again til thursday.

preferredduck
04-05-2009, 04:12 PM
i live out here in winder, but i have a dr appt in lilburn at 1:45 tomorrow so who knows what im gonna do.

81911SC
04-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Hey ive been meaning to ask you if you had any experience or opinoions on the 220I personally don't have any experience with the 220. However, I've never heard a bad thing about them and have heard tons of great reviews.