PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Evo 8 vs 9/gsr vs MR

Apex i ITR
04-02-2009, 09:29 AM
I've searched this forum and evom and a few other evo related forums that are reputable but it seems that no one has asked the question that I have specifically.

So I read the differences between the 8 vs the 9 and GSR vs MR and the question I need answered is this:

I'm looking to buy an EVO at the end of the month and I have around 20k to play with (CASH). I want to get something that will enable me to get 500+HP reliably without killing a diff or tranny (if this isn't possible on the stockk diff or tranny then I accept that). This car will be an occasional driver....maybe a track day maybe a drag run......NOT an every weekend thing. I'm looking for something that will be enjoyable to drive but if I want to put a foot in someone's @$$ then I have the ability (and power) to do so.

Some background on the cars I've owned. I had a 98 ITR with a few mods (one of the first people in GA with Bronze wheels Volks in 98/99 if not the first I think) and then I had a 98 JDM ITR motor in a 93 Civic...that car was heavily modded but I sold it to get a house and briefly owned a SRT-4 before a Deer helped me decide it wasn't the car for me.

I was dead set on buying an MR (I like having the top line of whatever vehicle I own...I know in the EVO's case that may not help me). I was also dead set on getting the ACD/Mivec and 6speed tranny but it seems there maybe some tuning/modification challenges with those 3 features I was looking for.

I have been out of the car scene for a while and I'm looking for a little guidance.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

And yes I have done a search but it seems people either have modest HP goals (Bolt-on's suffice) or they want to rule the world (stroked 2.4 litre fire breathing dragons). I'd say I'm right in the middle.

(I'll be posting this in EVOM as well)

WickedIXMR
04-02-2009, 11:25 AM
If your goals is to make 500whp reliably youre gonna need way more then 20k. Also if you want to make power stay away from the MR's the 6 speed trans are weak. As far as the 5 speed and the diff's they are all strong except for the 03's but either way getting the tranny and transfer case isnt too expensive. You can deff find a nice evo for a little under 20k but you will probably need another 20k to make 500whp reliably.

Apex i ITR
04-02-2009, 01:55 PM
The money to make the power I want isn't what I'm inquiring about. I'm not too far removed to remember that it takes money to power (and even more to make it reliably). I'm more concerned with a good platform to start with. How much power can the MR tranny take? I do drive alot of hwy and i may travel to Canada a few times in this car so having a 6th gear may be a little more important then a few extra ponies....thanks for the response btw.

AirMax95
04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
If your goals is to make 500whp reliably youre gonna need way more then 20k. Also if you want to make power stay away from the MR's the 6 speed trans are weak. As far as the 5 speed and the diff's they are all strong except for the 03's but either way getting the tranny and transfer case isnt too expensive. You can deff find a nice evo for a little under 20k but you will probably need another 20k to make 500whp reliably.

What all would need to go into that? I am not a complete noob, but when you say 500whp reliable, what are the biggest fixes needed for the reliability?

Apex i ITR
04-02-2009, 02:28 PM
As far as I know the main ingredients for making that kind of power is a better IC, cams, bigger turbo, ECU tuning (Flash or standalone), quality bolt ons (Catback or TBE, air filter/intake etc) and after that its all dependant on your drivetrain holding up (Clutch, diff's etc)

WickedIXMR
04-02-2009, 10:21 PM
The money to make the power I want isn't what I'm inquiring about. I'm not too far removed to remember that it takes money to power (and even more to make it reliably). I'm more concerned with a good platform to start with. How much power can the MR tranny take? I do drive alot of hwy and i may travel to Canada a few times in this car so having a 6th gear may be a little more important then a few extra ponies....thanks for the response btw.
Ok cool just making sure we're on the same page. If the 20k that you got is just for the car itself and no mods you can deff find an awesome evo to start out with. I'll even be happy to help you find one or look at one that you're interested in and see if its good or not. The MR tranny's can't take much especially if you abuse it. The 4th gear in the MR tranny is very weak. Once you start making 400whp is when it will start going out on you. Its a headache I've been through it and if you want to make power just trust me and dont get an MR. The 6 speed doesn't really help much at all on the hwy if not at all. The 5 speed is perfectly fine for the hwy and the 6 speed is no different. I believe the final drive on both is the exact same. If theres any more advice you need on evo's just let me know here and if I dont respond PM me. I have a ton of experience with them and would be glad to help you out.

As far as I know the main ingredients for making that kind of power is a better IC, cams, bigger turbo, ECU tuning (Flash or standalone), quality bolt ons (Catback or TBE, air filter/intake etc) and after that its all dependant on your drivetrain holding up (Clutch, diff's etc)
Just remember its the right combination of parts that make power as well. Thats why Buschur built cars make so much power and that because all the parts are made to work with eachother and make unbelievable power.

WickedIXMR
04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
What all would need to go into that? I am not a complete noob, but when you say 500whp reliable, what are the biggest fixes needed for the reliability?
You can make 500whp on a stock motor easily but how long that will last I dont know. Its like a ticking bomb just waiting for the rods to shoot out the motor. When I say reliable to make 500whp reliable theres alot to it. I'll just make a list to make it easier.

Built long block-4600
Turbo kit-4500
EMS-2200
FMIC-800
IC piping-500
Clutch-3000
Built tranny-850
Rebuilt t-case-350
Cams-650
Ported stock intake manifold-150
65mm throttle body-300
Double walboro's-500
Injectors-400
Motor mounts-85
Adjustable FPR-200
Gaskets, T-belt, tensioner, front cover,L19 head
studs, fluids (for motor rebuild)-1900
Boost Controller-100
Tuning-500

All that equals to $21,585 thats for parts and tuning. Then you have to add labor into the equation. I wasnt too far off.

Apex i ITR
04-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Since it wasn't going to be my DD I wasn't too worried about the motor letting go at some point. I was planning on building a long block seperate from the car to get for some stupid numbers. Thanks for the offer to help. I know the EVO community here in a GA/Atlanta is relatively small and the chances of you actually knowing some history on any being sold may be good (depending on how plugged in you are). Do it sounds like I'm looking for a good condition EVO IX GSR SSL. I want white (Sorry dude gotta bite you, I've always loved white cars....unless i find a killer deal I can't let go). Thanks again.....What is only other difference besides the tranny and badging and the Bilstein shocks on the MR and the GSR in 06? Both have ACD and the black alcantra Recaro's right?

WickedIXMR
04-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Since it wasn't going to be my DD I wasn't too worried about the motor letting go at some point. I was planning on building a long block seperate from the car to get for some stupid numbers. Thanks for the offer to help. I know the EVO community here in a GA/Atlanta is relatively small and the chances of you actually knowing some history on any being sold may be good (depending on how plugged in you are). Do it sounds like I'm looking for a good condition EVO IX GSR SSL. I want white (Sorry dude gotta bite you, I've always loved white cars....unless i find a killer deal I can't let go). Thanks again.....What is only other difference besides the tranny and badging and the Bilstein shocks on the MR and the GSR in 06? Both have ACD and the black alcantra Recaro's right?
I love white cars too. I think white evos look the best. Theres actually someone selling a built evo 9 but its blue. Its a decent price too, I would seriously consider it. The difference between the MR and GSR is the 6 speed tranny, aluminum roof, bilstein shocks, bbs wheel, and factory gauges. Both do have acd and have the black alcantara recaros. If you get an SSL it comes with leather tho which I personally hate.

Apex i ITR
04-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I just want the HID's, could care less about leather. That Blue Evo (700+) is already sold but I was considering it if it was still around. Aluminum roof though.....hmmmmm. Not concerned with the shocks or wheels because that will be replaced/upgraded as well as the gauges (I have 1 Defi BF boost gauge in the standard white color although I may try to sell it to get the amber color).

iEvo
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
just buy the car, figure out who u want to build the car, and then do it all at once. theres no point pushing a prefrctly good motor till it blows. use that as a spare or something JUST IN CASE ur built one takes a poop. Im sure u could easily get a pupra at 500whp with $20k, and u could always make it faster when more money comes ur way.

Apex i ITR
04-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Supra isn't as practical as an Evo is simply because i may have my kids with me and I need the extra space/doors

evilutionvii
07-12-2009, 01:04 AM
You can make 500whp on a stock motor easily but how long that will last I dont know. Its like a ticking bomb just waiting for the rods to shoot out the motor. When I say reliable to make 500whp reliable theres alot to it. I'll just make a list to make it easier.

Built long block-4600
Turbo kit-4500
EMS-2200
FMIC-800
IC piping-500
Clutch-3000
Built tranny-850
Rebuilt t-case-350
Cams-650
Ported stock intake manifold-150
65mm throttle body-300
Double walboro's-500
Injectors-400
Motor mounts-85
Adjustable FPR-200
Gaskets, T-belt, tensioner, front cover,L19 head
studs, fluids (for motor rebuild)-1900
Boost Controller-100
Tuning-500

All that equals to $21,585 thats for parts and tuning. Then you have to add labor into the equation. I wasnt too far off.

500hp (reliable?) is cheaper than $20k...not to step on your toes, but just to help a fellow Evo owner out, I'll modify your list:

Built long block-3100
Turbo kit-1700
Meth - 600
Valve Springs/retainers - 300
FMIC-800
IC piping-300
Clutch-1500
Built tranny-850
Rebuilt t-case-350
Cams-600
Fuel Pump - 120
Injectors-300
Boost Controller-100
Tuning-500
Labor - 2500-3000

I'm too lazy to add everything up, but I'm guessing its somewhere in the neighborhood of $15k installed and tuned