PDA

View Full Version : dive bars in athens

TheGrillMan
04-01-2009, 12:28 PM
im going to be in athens for my 21st (friday) and just wanted to know if anyone knows of any good dive bars?

or just cool places in generall there

::disclaimer::

yes i know this is in the wrong place

but i figured i would get alot more views here

TheGodfather
04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Last time I was there, I don't remember any names, but just walking around downtown they are all over the place. Just bar hop and usually bars, I'm not sure about in Athens, don't have a cover since they aren't clubs. So have a drink at a few different places and see if you like any place better than another.

Have fun man, and be safe.

BKgen®
04-01-2009, 12:32 PM
dive bar? is that like in a James Bond movie when you see chicks swimming in big aquariums and stuff?

lol

Evil Goat
04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
donno, never been to athens b/c i hate teenagers

TheGrillMan
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
dive bar? is that like in a James Bond movie when you see chicks swimming in big aquariums and stuff?

lol
\
i prefer hoes in coleslaw but ill settle

TheGrillMan
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Last time I was there, I don't remember any names, but just walking around downtown they are all over the place. Just bar hop and usually bars, I'm not sure about in Athens, don't have a cover since they aren't clubs. So have a drink at a few different places and see if you like any place better than another.

Have fun man, and be safe.

yeah thats what im going to do most likely since i hear there are enough bars to keep you busy and ill prob just hop around

nreggie454
04-01-2009, 01:48 PM
There are waaay too many bars to choose from. I tend to separate them into two categories: Freshman bars, and townie/21+ bars. If you are going so you can have a crazy experience surrounded by many girls, loud music, and excitement, go to a freshman bar. If you want a more relaxed, good bar experience where you don't have to elbow your way to the bar to wait 15 minutes for a drink, go to a townie bar.

Some freshman bars: Bourbon Street, Buddha Bar, The Loft (which is also a dance club), Barcode, and many others.

Some townie bars: The Globe, Trapeze, Lans Downe Road (sometimes gets pretty packed).

I will try to think of others.

SixSquared
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Little Kings Shuffle Club is always fun.

browningboy7
04-01-2009, 01:52 PM
You want a dive to go DT's *Now called Rye I believe".

ALVIN
04-01-2009, 03:27 PM
AllGood is my favorite. Dunno if its still open. There are a lot of bars and like someone said...it depends on what you are looking for.

nreggie454
04-01-2009, 03:31 PM
AllGood is my favorite. Dunno if its still open. There are a lot of bars and like someone said...it depends on what you are looking for.

AllGood is still there, and is definitely one of the better ones. A bar downstairs and another upstairs, along with a open patio area so smokers don't have to stand in a tiny area outside the bar if they want a cigarette.

T.C.
04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I work downtown so I might be able to give some help.
Allgood tends to stay busy.
Sideways, Buddha bar, Bourbon Street, The baitshack all will be packed with youngins.
Stay away from On the Rocks cause its full of cocky preppies.
Flannigans, Firehouse, and Raw are all pretty good and have downstairs bars. Raw has a hooka bar below it that stays open until 3. So at 2 when raw closes you can walk downstairs with your drinks and chill.
Those are just a handful. Enjoy your birthday and dont get tanked too early. Oh and be careful how you act. Athens has more police per capita than any other city in GA, and they are true assholes.

Elbow
04-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Don't go to The Loft, lol, it's fun for a little while just to be lame, but half the people are high school kids with fake ID's.

TheProfiteer
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought Trapeze was a sex club in ATL

nreggie454
04-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I thought Trapeze was a sex club in ATL

There is a bar in Athens with (apparently) the same name. It has a shitload of different beers to choose from.

ATLSRT8
04-01-2009, 05:30 PM
Flannigans, Firehouse, Ritz, Rumor, and end the night at The Loft. Those were my favs when I was in school there.

BBanks357
04-01-2009, 05:32 PM
only advice i can give you is not to wear anything w/ a Gator on it unless you wanna get the shit kicked out of you.

Deke
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Firehouse is generally my favorite. But whenever I visit I generally just let the friends that actually live there show me around, so I don't remember the names of half the places.

Honestly, just go downtown and you'll be set. If you worry too much about finding a particular bar, you'll miss out.

sogood
04-01-2009, 05:40 PM
only advice i can give you is not to wear anything w/ a Gator on it unless you wanna get the shit kicked out of you.

:rolleyes: LOL! I wore a Gators hat or shirt downtown a few times when I lived there last semester and never had any problems. Of course all the UGA bros talk shit but no one ever did anything.

TheGrillMan
04-02-2009, 12:43 AM
hrmm i just need imported beer and a bar that isnt elbows to elbows and ill be just fine

also as far as getting tank early im starting thursday night at 12 so that i wont get too sloshed by the time the bars close

then friday i cant promise anything lol

Total_Blender
04-02-2009, 12:57 AM
hrmm i just need imported beer and a bar that isnt elbows to elbows and ill be just fine

The bar in Athens is Trappeze... with 2 p's like trappist monks (the monks who brew beer). The place in Atlanta just uses one p (because its a place for swingers)

Trappeze is definitely your imported beer bar. Its not really a "dive" though... not somewhere you could go and order a PBR. And it is usually corwded. But they have a great selection of beer.

As for a place thats not elbows to elbows... depends on what kind of people you want to meet. All the bars on on the same 4 block area. The freshman bars are on one end of the strip and it gets more "townie" as you go down... eventually you end up at the 40 watt which is the hipster capital of the world.

TheGrillMan
04-02-2009, 01:10 AM
ok that works im going to be with locals also so im sure i wont have a hard time finding the good times

thanks to everyone tho i repped whoever i could