PDA

View Full Version : Outdoors Best weapon type for home defense?

Danny
04-01-2009, 10:58 AM
What do you think the best weapon type for home defense is?

Please assume that each weapon has been loaded with an effective defense round.

Sammich
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
gun

Sammich
04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
or if u can sneak up behind the person...a bat:goodjob:

Danny
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
poll! :D

BanginJimmy
04-01-2009, 11:15 AM
shotgun with weapon light

Truegiant
04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
i voted.

Frög
04-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Shotgun.. Nothing like the spray of BB's coming at you..

But it can't be a long barrel.. Here, my soon to be home defense to go along with my alarm security..

Mossberg 500 tactical:
http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/28954.jpg

Danny
04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
that looks like a breaching shotgun to me ?!?!?!

Spectic Tank
04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Shotgun.. Nothing like the spray of BB's coming at you..

But it can't be a long barrel.. Here, my soon to be home defense to go along with my alarm security..

Mossberg 500 tactical:
http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/28954.jpg

I've been having trouble finding that gun. Well, with the options I want (18.5" barrell, pistol grip).

Frög
04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
that looks like a breaching shotgun to me ?!?!?!

The tip? I love it!

Frög
04-01-2009, 01:02 PM
I've been having trouble finding that gun. Well, with the options I want (18.5" barrell, pistol grip).

Pistol grip:
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/products_id/31

Danny
04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
ya the tip and the lack of a butt stock, u see these exact models on the backs of swat guys that handle door breaches. I guess u could shoot people wiht it too, hahah :D

Frög
04-01-2009, 01:12 PM
^ Yeah, good luck shooting ducks with that, but for home defense? Perfect and you can break windows to go outside and flank him.. HAHAHAH thinking way too much into it..

Danny
04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
On a more serious note lol. Generally you shouldnt clear your own house if you have family/friends in the house, instead you should organize your family behind you in the same room and let the BG come to you. Now if your single and by yourself, I guess you could clear the house if you really want. :D

SL65AMG
04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
PUMP action mossberg or remington shotgun, the light is optional( i voted for it), but PUMP is the key.

you shouldnt have to shoot it if they hear the *click-clack* of a shotshell being chambered..... shoot if you like, since, by law you can.

Danny
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Tons of flaws with the "racking the shotgun will make the BG piss his pants" myth.

BanginJimmy
04-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Tons of flaws with the "racking the shotgun will make the BG piss his pants" myth.

I dont know how much of a myth it is. I know that if I was in someone elses house and heard that sound I would shit myself on the way out the door/window/doggy door.

SL65AMG
04-01-2009, 06:05 PM

the only flaw i can see is racking an empty shotgun.....

Truegiant
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM

I guess some people need to do some research and have never taken any firearms classes at all.

"Racking a shotgun" is not going to make an intruder run away. Its a proven fact that 90% of the time they will get more aggressive in there intent. Anywho.. I love short shotguns (splatter guns) for there purpose but for the ultimate pick it up off the stand point and shoot its harder to finagle a shotgun from behind a nightstand or behind a door than it is to pick up a pistol and squeeze the trigger. my :2cents:

Danny
04-01-2009, 06:35 PM
the only flaw i can see is racking an empty shotgun.....
Just a few off the top of my head:

- you give your position away, the element of surprise is one of the best advantages you can have.
- your either racking out a perfectly good round onto the floor or your storing your gun as less than its full capacity. either options is not acceptable imo.
- mindset. gun fights are mental fights mostly. Picking up a gun hoping that the sight, or sound of your weapon solves the problem is a common misconception. Normally its safe to assume that the situation will escalate after a weapon is introduced by either party. A great source on mindsetl is Jeff Cooper.

To kind of go off on a tangent. There is a process the brain has and a word phrase given to it by an old fighter pilot (cant remember, sorry) where your brain essentially has to take the visual and audible information, compile and analyze it, and react in that order. Racking a shotgun can put u on the bad end of this, his movement in reaction to the sound will reset your brains loop, dramatically decreasing your reaction time to pull the trigger. The idea is to reset the opponents loop, not yours. This can be accomplished by turning on your tac light, and taking 1-3 steps to your side, then firing (just one of many examples). The light, and movement on your part will reset his loop and give you a split seconds advantage before his brain can recalculate whats going and where his threat (you) is and traveling to.

Wish i could remember the name of that brain process but i cant.

SL65AMG
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Just a few off the top of my head:

- you give your position away, the element of surprise is one of the best advantages you can have.
- your either racking out a perfectly good round onto the floor or your storing your gun as less than its full capacity. either options is not acceptable imo.
- mindset. gun fights are mental fights mostly. Picking up a gun hoping that the sight, or sound of your weapon solves the problem is a common misconception. Normally its safe to assume that the situation will escalate after a weapon is introduced by either party. A great source on mindsetl is Jeff Cooper.

To kind of go off on a tangent. There is a process the brain has and a word phrase given to it by an old fighter pilot (cant remember, sorry) where your brain essentially has to take the visual and audible information, compile and analyze it, and react in that order. Racking a shotgun can put u on the bad end of this, his movement in reaction to the sound will reset your brains loop, dramatically decreasing your reaction time to pull the trigger. The idea is to reset the opponents loop, not yours. This can be accomplished by turning on your tac light, and taking 1-3 steps to your side, then firing (just one of many examples). The light, and movement on your part will reset his loop and give you a split seconds advantage before his brain can recalculate whats going and where his threat (you) is and traveling to.

Wish i could remember the name of that brain process but i cant.

both are valid points, but they dont mean that the sound wont intimidate someone..... you may lose your element of surprise, only partially maybe but the intruder definitely knows you mean business....

and as far as magazine capacity goes.... if you cant hit the sum'bitch with 5 rounds at 10 yards you have a SERIOUS problem.....

the only problem i can see if you dont have your 5+1 or 7+1 on you is when theres more than a few intruders.

VTECking
04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Shotgun is the best over-all cause you really dont have to aim to hit your target at close range if you got buck shot in it. but if you have a small house with alot of corners, a handgun would be best.

81911SC
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
I keep one in the chamber, no need to rack. I don't have kids though.

koukis14
04-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Handguns should be used to fight your way to your shotgun.

Danny
04-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Handguns should be used to fight your way to your shotgun.

im not gonna even go into this one. ill leave that to someone else :D

Deke
04-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I guess some people need to do some research and have never taken any firearms classes at all.

"Racking a shotgun" is not going to make an intruder run away. Its a proven fact that 90% of the time they will get more aggressive in there intent. Anywho.. I love short shotguns (splatter guns) for there purpose but for the ultimate pick it up off the stand point and shoot its harder to finagle a shotgun from behind a nightstand or behind a door than it is to pick up a pistol and squeeze the trigger. my :2cents:

If the intruder's goal is simply to rob you, I feel like the sound would give him second thoughts. Now granted, if the intruder is in your house and their only purpose is to kill you, I'd agree with your assessment.

However, since you probably are not going to know a home intruder's intent, I'd think the logical thing to do would be remain silent and in one location, with your gun pointed at the door/hallway and your finger on the trigger.

SKarpenz
04-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Shotgun is the best over-all cause you really dont have to aim to hit your target at close range if you got buck shot in it. but if you have a small house with alot of corners, a handgun would be best.

You always have to aim. At anything less than 25ft a 00 buck spread pattern is minimal. So it is imperative that you AIM with ANY weapon.

Frög
04-02-2009, 07:44 AM
You always have to aim. At anything less than 25ft a 00 buck spread pattern is minimal. So it is imperative that you AIM with ANY weapon.

:doh: genuis..

You obviously aren't going to shoot it straight down..

Jason..
04-02-2009, 08:32 AM
My 1911 w the power ball ammo i purchased.

eraser4g63
04-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Voted, But there is an option missing. I have two P/AOC ( Protection/Attack On Command) trained German shepherds, both are still pretty young ( 6 months old) but at full size they should be 120+ lbs. A shotgun with a tactical light would nicely supplement the teeth.

SL65AMG
04-02-2009, 09:36 AM
Voted, But there is an option missing. I have two P/AOC ( Protection/Attack On Command) trained German shepherds, both are still pretty young ( 6 months old) but at full size they should be 120+ lbs. A shotgun with a tactical light would nicely supplement the teeth.

just dont hit the pooches.... best thing is if your dogs are quiet up until the time they sink their teeth into the intruders ass..... or whatever they happen to bite.

eraser4g63
04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
They are all but silent but they like to give chase and they are very fast. The Female tend to go for the face actually and the male prefers the neck, they usually try to get around the bite sleeve when they are training, I don't know why the trainer gets so nervous. I'll take some pics next time we are at the trainers.

SL65AMG
04-02-2009, 09:49 AM
They are all but silent but they like to give chase and they are very fast. The Female tend to go for the face actually and the male prefers the neck, they usually try to get around the bite sleeve when they are training, I don't know why the trainer gets so nervous. I'll take some pics next time we are at the trainers.

cool man

SKarpenz
04-02-2009, 12:17 PM
genuis..

You obviously aren't going to shoot it straight down..

Ok? Hey Genuis, how about you stop trying to be a smart ass all the time. I'm referring to people who think they can shoot from the hip, or just shoot in someone's general direction and still get destructive hits.

Frög
04-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Ok? Hey Genuis, how about you stop trying to be a smart ass all the time. I'm referring to people who think they can shoot from the hip, or just shoot in someone's general direction and still get destructive hits.

Exactly like expressed in the original post that you corrected, with a different wording for you: with a shotgun, there is a lot more leeway in your shots..

Again, :doh: genius.. When he said that, he obviously didn't mean you just grab the shotgun and shoot away like a zombie..

SL65AMG
04-04-2009, 10:02 AM
oh stop yer' bickerin'

Tuan
04-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Revolver..

Jaimecbr900
04-05-2009, 02:04 AM

Please send me the information about where you go to get yours trained. I have an almost 2 yr old that I don't have time to train myself. :goodjob:

ka24boost
04-05-2009, 05:56 AM
call world class k-9 in grayson. I got my pit train there. Also sander kennel I sold him a dog years a go

Please send me the information about where you go to get yours trained. I have an almost 2 yr old that I don't have time to train myself. :goodjob:

FlipKing
04-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I'd day pistol. Much easier to handle in a tactical situation like clearing your own house. More rounds, quicker fire rate, quicker reload.

ranger250x
04-17-2009, 09:19 PM
shotgun w/ weapon light

screw scaring the mf'er with the rack i would just want them dead or gone

keva52
04-17-2009, 09:29 PM
sword.. :ninja:

green91
04-19-2009, 05:27 PM
LOL i see a bunch of people having a bad day if they get their homes broken into, trying to wield around shotguns and baseball bats. My .45 has great stopping power, is small and has capacity to get any defense situation handled.

People like to talk a big game about scaring an intruder, fuck that. I don't want to give them any notice or time to attack me. I want just enough time to see they are armed and its over.

Danny
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
LOL i see a bunch of people having a bad day if they get their homes broken into, trying to wield around shotguns and baseball bats. My .45 has great stopping power, is small and has capacity to get any defense situation handled.

People like to talk a big game about scaring an intruder, fuck that. I don't want to give them any notice or time to attack me. I want just enough time to see they are armed and its over.

Agreed. Here is the thing i really dont understand. When given a choice tons of people chose the shotgun WITHOUT the weapon light. Now that just doesnt make 1 tiny bit of sense to me.

Truegiant
04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
those must be a fat 7 people, haha.

BKgen®
04-20-2009, 03:34 PM
7.62+ rifle with bayonet and nightvision svd/sks mount scope :yes:

eraser4g63
04-20-2009, 05:34 PM
The only reason I am not really worried about weilding a shotgun is the fact that i have two dogs that will get to you before I ever do.

BanginJimmy
04-20-2009, 09:02 PM
best home defense ever

http://www.jedichefs.com/weapons/Minigun05.jpg

eraser4g63
04-20-2009, 10:20 PM
LOL

ahmonrah
04-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Belgian malinois
http://www.vulpen.net/rudo_staand_in_bos_1993.jpg

plus

glock 21 (among other weapons)
http://www.reptile-like.com/guns/glock21.jpg

and a home alarm system means i sleep fairly well.

ahmonrah
04-21-2009, 12:27 PM

People like to talk a big game about scaring an intruder, fuck that. I don't want to give them any notice or time to attack me. I want just enough time to see they are armed and its over.i understand that view perfectly, and owning one weapon with the same caliber as yours and a few others, the way i see it, with ANY situation that may arise, is if someone gets to where they are beyond reasoning and i have to pull a weapon in defense of my home and those in it or myself, then a scare tactic is not what they deserve.

eraser4g63
04-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Belgian malinois
http://www.vulpen.net/rudo_staand_in_bos_1993.jpg
and a home alarm system means i sleep fairly well.

I love these Dogs its the reason I got GSD, because I couldn't find Malinois pups.

1439/2000
05-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Ok i dont get the "don't get a long barrell shotgun" point. I have a 3.5 Benelli Nova and its not like its so long that it gets caught on everything. If you are not a complete retard you will know how to carry it. I have that and a stub nosed .357 smith. Depends on what you can get to the fastest.

Kevykev
05-09-2009, 01:44 PM
What about personal attack snakes.

Any info on those?

speedracer41
05-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I voted handgun w/o weapon light, it doesn't need to be attached to the weapon as long as you have one

Frög
05-09-2009, 06:09 PM
I should of voted shotgun WITH weapon light

redrumracer
05-09-2009, 06:38 PM
handgun or shot gun

boosted b
05-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Hand gun something that's able to handle quickly

tippatone
05-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Sig Sauer P556 Pistol, no light so they won't see what hit em

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/sig/556-Pistol-Beauty.jpg

deathrex
05-28-2009, 02:29 AM
septic tank bullseye in lawrenceville has that model 500 with a pistol grip in stock saw it 2 days ago. and id say shot gun. i have the mossberg 500 pistol grip in an 18.5 3 loads of 00 buckshot and 3 slugs. Sits next to the bed with a glock 23 and a walther p22. The p22 i can pop off 11 rounds in 3 seconds all on target no recoil what so ever. The 40 give me 10 seconds to unload all 14 rounds, and the 500 just shoots through walls haha. But as far as a home defense weapon anything that your comfortable shooting and are on target with. You could spend all day arguing what guns best but in reality its what best fits your shooting abilities and how accurate you are with that weapon. But you cant go wrong with a shotgun. Usually youre gunna hit the intruder unless your just the shittiest shot in the world.

deathrex
05-28-2009, 02:40 AM

100% the best post ive seen in this thread so far :goodjob: . On another note AIM TO KILL. Sadly our laws protect the criminal. If you were to just injure him you are leagally obligated to pay for his medical bills and he can turn arround and sue you after. And if you were to paralize the person you could be paying their medical bills for life. IMO if someone were in my house i wouldnt give them the chance to leave or the chance to harm me or my family.

And as far as the guard snake idea that i saw earlier. Same goes for that you cannot legally do that. There was a HUGE case about that in texas a guy would set loose rattle snakes into his warehouse that was getting continuously broken into at night. Someone got bit breaking in and sued the guy to hell and back even though he had signs posted. But i dont really see the difference between a guard dog and signs or any other animal and signs. Personally how ever you protect your property is your own buisness and how ever you do it is fine with me. Either way the guy broke in then won the case from getting bit by a rattle snake. Its crazy how the criminals are protected more than the people that are trying to make a real living. :no:

all-motorsol
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
shot gun with weapon light

TIGERJC
06-07-2009, 09:54 PM
You want to know why criminals are protected? Its simple, how would the judicial system make money with a bunch of dead criminals. Its good business to protect your assests

deathrex
06-10-2009, 01:18 AM
You want to know why criminals are protected? Its simple, how would the judicial system make money with a bunch of dead criminals. Its good business to protect your assests

I have never thought of it that way. Damn good post with great reasoning :goodjob: +reps to you sir

AnthonyF
06-15-2009, 09:13 AM
My parents use a Benelli shotgun with a light.

-Ant.

Truegiant
07-25-2009, 10:33 PM
why does your post keep redoing itself?

creman
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
some good info here

Danny
08-05-2009, 05:11 PM
i think everytime someone votes it gets bumped to the top.

Truegiant
08-05-2009, 11:42 PM
oh.. that makes since. Your so smart little fella.. haha..

ahmonrah
08-17-2009, 05:09 AM
best weapon? a dog. it's a natural early warning system, acts either autonomously or on command and is auto target locator.

best secondary weapon? gun (either handgun or scattergun). used in conjunction with primary weapon, you cant lose...unless you fail at secondary.

Slomaro Z28
08-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I say a .357 or bigger semi-auto pistol. One thing is you should have the upper hand, knowing your house inside and out, light or dark. I have 2 kids and if someone comes in I will aim to kill, if I get screwed in court oh well.

Perfect example is the movie Felon.

devinwebb907
09-06-2009, 02:11 AM
shotgun and pistol. both definitely have their advantages. the sound of cocking a shotugn alone is one of the most recognizable sounds in the world and would send most anybody running.

ka24boost
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
a pit bull

StreetHazard
10-25-2009, 12:50 AM
This!

the adapters are on it..but my light isnt attached, I got a laser sight as well for slugs

Truegiant
10-25-2009, 01:24 AM
\\\gay like before

Danny
10-27-2009, 10:22 PM
out of curiosity, how does reloading work with the shells situated that way in the saddle?

StreetHazard
10-29-2009, 03:49 AM
out of curiosity, how does reloading work with the shells situated that way in the saddle?

I was lazy and it was in a case and I didnt want them to fall out, at a range they are inserted from the bottom, don't assume I cant shoot it

bdydrpdmazda
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
shotty, no need for a light because i pay my electric bill

patrick4588
10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
On another note AIM TO KILL. Sadly our laws protect the criminal. If you were to just injure him you are leagally obligated to pay for his medical bills and he can turn arround and sue you after. And if you were to paralize the person you could be paying their medical bills for life. Its crazy how the criminals are protected more than the people that are trying to make a real living. :no:

actually thats incorrect. in Georgia you have immunity when acting in self defense. we have castle doctrine along with immunity.

O.C.G.A. § 51-11-9
Immunity from civil liability for threat or use of force in defense of habitation
A person who is justified in threatening or using force against another under the provisions of Code Section 16-3-21, relating to the use of force in defense of self or others, Code Section 16-3-23, relating to the use of force in defense of a habitation, or Code Section 16-3-24, relating to the use of force in defense of property other than a habitation, has no duty to retreat from the use of such force and shall not be held liable to the person against whom the use of force was justified or to any person acting as an accomplice or assistant to such person in any civil action brought as a result of the threat or use of such force.

ahmonrah
11-06-2009, 10:24 AM
^^ agreed