PDA

View Full Version : Misc Completed AF Basic Training

tony
03-31-2009, 11:47 PM
It was an.. unforgettable experience to say the least. I'm not back in Georgia yet, I am still in San Antonio until my training is done in May. People like to joke and call it the Chair Force but trust me a lot of things have changed over the years and the Air Force takes its mission very seriously, its an honor to be a part of such a great organization and work along side the other military branches.

I'd like to start working on my G35 but finishing college and Pilot and/or Nav school is top priority for now. Any questions about the Air Force training I can pretty much answer.. I cant tell absolutely everything but I can clear up a lot of the myths. Air Force basic training isn't as physically strenuous as the other branches may be but where it gets tough is the mental aspect of things. We have other branches on this base and I wont say anything bad about the others, I'll just say I made the right choice.

Me and my dad (he's a veteran, kind of nostalgic since my job is the same as his)

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5769/26579059771121655607121.jpg

My favorite picture from the weekend, my son while we were at the position of attention during graduation.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7919/26579059770121655607121.jpg

I have pictures of our actual training but I'll have to post those up later when I have more time. (No I didnt take them, whenever we did something tactical we were filmed) I did go to the range with the M16 and M9, did the whole simulated deployment thing, tactical movements, etc etc. Anyway, I'll add more to this later.. gotta be up in 4 hours.

81911SC
03-31-2009, 11:50 PM
Awesome. Congrats!
I'm interested to hear a lot so I'm in for later.

NevrNufTorq
03-31-2009, 11:53 PM
congratulations man!!!! it will be an experience that you will never forget and i appreciate your service :goodjob:

Firefightin_tC
03-31-2009, 11:58 PM
Congrats man...seriously...congrats.

Frög
03-31-2009, 11:58 PM
I have questions for you buddy.. Thinking about Air Force after graduation.. Just a small thought..

Congrats!

tony
04-01-2009, 06:35 AM
This is like the second day, obviously nothing tactical about this its that first hair cut. I think in Psychology this is the equivalent of erasing the identity you came in with, simple stuff. If you go into the military always remember this day because you'll never be the same again nor will the guys you came in with.

tony
04-01-2009, 06:36 AM
The Gas chamber, you end up having to take your mask off and give a reporting statement then walk out. I was sick as hell and it cleared up my sinuses so I wasnt too mad.

tony
04-01-2009, 06:39 AM
Basic combat training, nothing special.. the pictures make it look cooler than it really is. I wasn't 100% into it, but we have to be trained so it was better than sitting around doing nothing.

tony
04-01-2009, 06:41 AM
The firing range with the M16 to get qualified. I sucked, hit 29 of 50 targets but it was 50 to qualify so.. I passed. I enjoyed the M9 more.

tony
04-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Pugil sticks and BEAST week, some of you AF priors wont recognize the BEAST because its something new.. a week long simulated deployed environment. Lots of good training. We stayed in those tents all week although the AF doesn't use them any more and an attack was bound to happen any time.. and it did.

tony
04-01-2009, 06:50 AM
I didnt get a whole lot of pictures of the dorm. In the picture with my son you see what is your entire living area.. a locker which is constantly inspected. All clothes must be rolled or hung up.. rolling clothes is a BITCH, takes forever.

My job was Latrine queen, so I was responsible for keeping the entire Latrine spotless (which is what I'm really checking in the picture) 60 guys in a dorm share 8 open showers, the first night is awkward but over time it becomes normal being around everyone naked.

You wll be in better shape coming out of BMT. I lost 10lbs, my buddy J in the picture lost like 25lbs.

EJ25RUN
04-01-2009, 07:04 AM
great to see. :goodjob:

BanginJimmy
04-01-2009, 01:37 PM
DAMNIT, the damn chair force got doors on the shitters. We didnt even have walls. You got to look at another guy as he squeezed one out. I am feeling kinda screwed at this point.

Did you guys actually carry around plastic rifles for training? We used the exact same rifles we used on the rifle range. We also didnt fire the M9 in bootcamp. If you ever watch that show on the Military Channel "Making Marines" they only show the glamor parts of bootcamp. They dont mention the MANY hours of BS and classes we did.

Anyways, congrats. Even if it only the Air Farce it is still a service to your country and that is not something that can be taken away.

tony
04-01-2009, 06:22 PM
Anyways, congrats. Even if it only the Air Farce it is still a service to your country and that is not something that can be taken away.

lol I laughed at that part, yeah we had the dummy M16's, I wouldn't trust a lot of these idiots with a real one 24/7. We have some Marines here on base and to be honest I wouldn't begin to touch their training, I have nothing but respect for what they do.

bafbrian
04-01-2009, 06:34 PM
lol I laughed at that part, yeah we had the dummy M16's, I wouldn't trust a lot of these idiots with a real one 24/7. We have some Marines here on base and to be honest I wouldn't begin to touch their training, I have nothing but respect for what they do.

You looking into becoming an officer, if so, I can answer some of you questions about being an officer in general. If want to know about being a AF officer, my gf has an uncle who is a Colonel in the AF RAFB.

green91
04-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Awesome thread. If I hadn't made some financial obligations for myself before I realized what i wanted to do, id probably be in the air force. Definitely a nice look into basic training.

soul
04-01-2009, 07:36 PM
congrats man, i leave for usmc basic in a month n half.

tron
04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
awww shit!....i cant wait for sept 1st. i get shipped to basic. i need a change and a challenge

how many miles a day did you have to run?

JDMJAYDC2
04-01-2009, 07:51 PM
signing up in sept i cant wait army here i come

leobond001
04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
congrats man. hopefully i'll be off for navy basic at the end of may.

JDMJAYDC2
04-01-2009, 08:04 PM
i had no idea so many ppl were joining up we need to all have a large meet or something at wild wings

tony
04-01-2009, 08:10 PM
awww shit!....i cant wait for sept 1st. i get shipped to basic. i need a change and a challenge

how many miles a day did you have to run?

Its not a matter of how far you run, but you have to continuously run for 35 minutes+ without stopping or you WILL be sorry. For the evaluation you have to run a mile and a half in under 11:47 but shoot for less than 9:30.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays you will run. Tuesdays thursdays and Saturdays you will do pushups, situps, and it is tough.

tron
04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Its not a matter of how far you run, but you have to continuously run for 35 minutes+ without stopping or you WILL be sorry. For the evaluation you have to run a mile and a half in under 11:47 but shoot for less than 9:30.

Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays you will run. Tuesdays thursdays and Saturdays you will do pushups, situps, and it is tough.

sounds like fun lol jk. im good on the running my time is under 9min. how many push ups. do they just make you do them until you break

thanks for answering my questions man

and another thing im going is for avionics. is there a way i can find out how long training for that is going to be?

tony
04-01-2009, 09:09 PM
sounds like fun lol jk. im good on the running my time is under 9min. how many push ups. do they just make you do them until you break

thanks for answering my questions man

and another thing im going is for avionics. is there a way i can find out how long training for that is going to be?

Pushups, over 60 in a minute but situps is what fails people believe it or not.. more than 55 in 1 minute. I did 80 pushups, 62 situps and a run time of 10:58.

As for avionics, 6 months of training.

chubbieboi
04-01-2009, 09:14 PM
congrats man, whats ur Afsc?

tron
04-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Pushups, over 60 in a minute but situps is what fails people believe it or not.. more than 55 in 1 minute. I did 80 pushups, 62 situps and a run time of 10:58.

As for avionics, 6 months of training.

hmmm it seems they increased the push ups i thought it was 50, well at least i know now. thanks sir :goodjob:

tony
04-01-2009, 09:21 PM
hmmm it seems they increased the push ups i thought it was 50, well at least i know now. thanks sir :goodjob:

50 to pass, but you dont want to just pass. Aim for 65 pushups, 70 situps and under 9:30 run.

BanginJimmy
04-01-2009, 09:22 PM
AVI can be anywhere from 6 months to over a year depending on what you are doing. Com/Nav will be the longest school, much shorter for radar and such.

tron
04-01-2009, 09:26 PM
50 to pass, but you dont want to just pass. Aim for 65 pushups, 70 situps and under 9:30 run.

yea i know. i was gonna do spec ops since i qualified for SERE, PJ, and CCT. so i've been training for that but now i think im gonna do avionics then spec ops. what do you think?

BanginJimmy
04-01-2009, 09:26 PM

What base were you on for basic? I am guessing that the Marines that were there were there for school?

Marine training is the exact same training as everyone else, but turned up a notch or 2. You do your 1.5 mile run, Marines do 3. You have a 2 week basic, Marines have 3 months.

Side note:
I still look through my bootcamp 'yearbook' from time to time and wonder how I made it through. In my more emotional times, it damn near brings a tear to my eyes when I think back and remember getting my Eagle, Globe and Anchor standing on top of the Reaper.

tony
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Chubbie: My AFSC is 2T2X1, Air Transportation. My recruiter lied to me.. seriously I thought I was going to be a loadmaster.

yea i know. i was gonna do spec ops since i qualified for SERE, PJ, and CCT. so i've been training for that but now i think im gonna do avionics then spec ops. what do you think?

SERE and PJ's are right across the way from my training squadron.. those guys are serious, theres like a 78% fail rate over there. I forget what the physical qualifications are but you definitely have to be toward the top of your class. I'd say it depends on who you are, understand the risk of SERE, PJ and CCT.. it takes a special kind of person that is dedicated and basically ready to put your life on the line on a consistent basis.

If thats not you, go avionics. I have a son and soon a family, I'm actually considering an application to a special ops unit as a Nav but I dont know if I can deal with the Ops Tempo, my family is a priority to me. Its all about what you want out of life.

tony
04-01-2009, 10:09 PM
What base were you on for basic? I am guessing that the Marines that were there were there for school?

Marine training is the exact same training as everyone else, but turned up a notch or 2. You do your 1.5 mile run, Marines do 3. You have a 2 week basic, Marines have 3 months.

Side note:
I still look through my bootcamp 'yearbook' from time to time and wonder how I made it through. In my more emotional times, it damn near brings a tear to my eyes when I think back and remember getting my Eagle, Globe and Anchor standing on top of the Reaper.

I'm at Lackland, I think they're here for school, we have the Navy and Marines but I havent seen Army around.

BobbyFresco
04-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Congrats on your accomplishements and thanks for your service.

tron
04-01-2009, 11:16 PM
SERE and PJ's are right across the way from my training squadron.. those guys are serious, theres like a 78% fail rate over there. I forget what the physical qualifications are but you definitely have to be toward the top of your class. I'd say it depends on who you are, understand the risk of SERE, PJ and CCT.. it takes a special kind of person that is dedicated and basically ready to put your life on the line on a consistent basis.

If thats not you, go avionics. I have a son and soon a family, I'm actually considering an application to a special ops unit as a Nav but I dont know if I can deal with the Ops Tempo, my family is a priority to me. Its all about what you want out of life.

this i know sir and i have accepted it and right now i turn 19 in couple days and its not like i plan to settle down anytime soon but the fact that im going in straight out of high school and so young is why im doing avionics 1st then make my decision on spec ops later
thanks for you advice man!:cheers:

chubbieboi
04-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Chubbie: My AFSC is 2T2X1, Air Transportation. My recruiter lied to me.. seriously I thought I was going to be a loadmaster.

damn man, loadmaster is a good job. Air Trans is okay (you be loading a lot of shit onto the planes and hours are vary when it comes to deployment, but on regular basis all you do it chill and relaxed). I'm myself is Supply. I was there at Lackland for 2 months for my tech school last year.

CopyRight
04-02-2009, 06:08 AM
bwahahahahahaha.....I'm sorry but I gotta do that.

Not knocking you Tony, but I'm still gonna call it the "chair force"

from all the pics you took and shared, AF Basic training is still VERY posh and comfortable.
my reasoning....
-you qualified/fired under a shaded cover.
-You had internet during basic, most likely phone privileges too
-they call it the "beast" but look at your FOB, you had yellow metal gates protecting it
-You have single beds, not even bunks
-you are covered from head to toe in chem suit, so you never even felt the effects of CS on your skin

Before everyone is so quick to jump and ask dumb questions and try and belittle me....

yes I am in the Army.

Yes, I have been in more than one day.

I actually leave for Afghanistan in 22 days.

my MP re-class was probably harder than AF Basic.

SERE is a school, not anything life endangering . It def does suck. Army, Navy, Marines goto the same course at Ft Bragg which was just about 3 1/2 weeks. Once you pass the course, you are never to speak of what you endured or what the school/course consisted of. If you want a wake up call on what truly sucks in life, then give this one a shot...

PJ's and CCT's do not put their life consistently on the line. No special operations do...they train, and have plenty of intel, much more that a conventional unit, and then they train, train, train. For all special operation units, it is not their goal to go in and fight, but rather do their mission and get in and out without too large of a footprint, minus tactical demolitions

Tony. Congrats man. Not trying to knock you at all. Glad you wanted to serve your country.

btw, in the one pic you said you were at "attention"? you had your arms behind your back it looks like? bc all other services consider that "parade rest" or "at ease" just wondering....

CopyRight
04-02-2009, 06:23 AM
btw, I trained a bunch of AF and Navy guys at Ft Riley at ETT/CA.

ETT = Embedded Training Team
CA = Combat Advisor

Do they actually teach anything about basic combat tactics? such as formations, movement to contact, fob security?

I ask bc the guys I had were pretty much clueless to anything I was saying and we had to stop training and them a quick class on it. Quite a few of them said they had not seen a weapon or held one since basic and these guys had about 2-3yrs service in them already.

if you get a chance or they let you, be on the lookout to goto ETT/CA out at Ft Riley, it's a good course and you will get alot out of it bc you will work alongside with Navy and Army learning some language, counterinsurgency, advising, etc..

tony
04-02-2009, 07:20 AM

from all the pics you took and shared, AF Basic training is still VERY posh and comfortable.
my reasoning....
-they call it the "beast" but look at your FOB, you had yellow metal gates protecting it
-you are covered from head to toe in chem suit, so you never even felt the effects of CS on your skin

Before everyone is so quick to jump and ask dumb questions and try and belittle me....

yes I am in the Army.

SERE is a school, not anything life endangering . It def does suck. Army, Navy, Marines goto the same course at Ft Bragg which was just about 3 1/2 weeks. Once you pass the course, you are never to speak of what you endured or what the school/course consisted of. If you want a wake up call on what truly sucks in life, then give this one a shot...

PJ's and CCT's do not put their life consistently on the line. No special operations do...they train, and have plenty of intel, much more that a conventional unit, and then they train, train, train. For all special operation units, it is not their goal to go in and fight, but rather do their mission and get in and out without too large of a footprint, minus tactical demolitions

Tony. Congrats man. Not trying to knock you at all. Glad you wanted to serve your country.

btw, in the one pic you said you were at "attention"? you had your arms behind your back it looks like? bc all other services consider that "parade rest" or "at ease" just wondering....

No offense taken at all, I'm not oblivious to the Air Force propaganda, BEAST (Basic Expeditionary Airman Skills Training) doesn't compare to what the other branches train for but then again thats not a major part of our mission.

The internet from basic came from base liberty and going to the Rec, most units get none. My T.I was lenient on that.. no reflection on the entire process just an exception to the rule. BTW we did have bunks, I was lucky enough to go without one and in the gas chamber we took the tops off of the chem suits to experience the gas.

My understanding of PJ's and CC's is that they generally go with Army and/or Marine units so whatever you see they experience as well. The only PJ's I've met were assholes so far so I'm not 100% on the process.

AirMax95
04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Congrats! I opted out of my desire to go AF.

Press on and upwards!

92mr2T
04-02-2009, 09:00 AM
you have to sleep outside in a tent for a week? You get to fight with those things too? 50 pushups? Things sure have changed from 1998!

Master Shake
04-02-2009, 09:58 AM
congrats man.

i'm waiting on my shit to come back from some place to see if i can be sent to meps and find out my shipout date.
i'll be in the ARMY though. i got a friend who's in the AF now, and he's in nebraska.

BB6dohcvtec
04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
congrats man. I'm in the middle of getting all my paperwork together and going up to MEPs in the next couple of weeks.

tron
04-02-2009, 01:17 PM

my reasoning....

yes I am in the Army.

i was talking about being an instructor!;)

:cheers:

tron
04-02-2009, 01:20 PM
congrats man. I'm in the middle of getting all my paperwork together and going up to MEPs in the next couple of weeks.

MEPs was fun, they have some pretty cool shit in the lounge downstairs
well if you like shitting on ppl in COD lol

Nyteryder
04-04-2009, 01:21 PM
I remember my air force days (2001-2008). What training squadron were you with, we had another name for you "Beast week" which was warrior week when i joined. Funny thing is that I never got deployed while in but now I am a civilian contractor and I am in iraq as I am typing and I went on my own free will.

BanginJimmy
04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
PJ's are also called pararescue. They dont work with any one service, their job is to pull downed pilots out of hot areas. Not at all an easy job and they are not special forces. If anything they fall into the same category as Marine Recon or Army Rangers. Specialized units, but not special forces.

Danny
04-05-2009, 10:20 PM
I remember my air force days (2001-2008). What training squadron were you with, we had another name for you "Beast week" which was warrior week when i joined. Funny thing is that I never got deployed while in but now I am a civilian contractor and I am in iraq as I am typing and I went on my own free will.

how do you like contractor work vs military? Mind saying which contractor you work for?

HEATON
04-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Hey man, what's your job? I'm Air Trans, been in 4 years. Oddly enough you say it has become harder, but by looking at your pics, it looks like you had it easier then I did.. haha

No way in HELL, I'd be throwing up peace signs b4 the gas chamber, we would have been on our faces then turned over for flutter kicks for a good while. Plus now with the ABU you don't even have to fold, or iron using hot water canteens...

But anyways, welcome to the club!

Oh, and yeah, we still use those tents.

Just please when you hit the real world at your first base, don't act like you know everything. Not saying you will, but just to help you out, listen to the others and don't have an attitude even if your superiors are younger then you or w/e.

Dr.G35
04-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Congrats Tony and thank you.

tony
04-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Hey man, what's your job? I'm Air Trans, been in 4 years. Oddly enough you say it has become harder, but by looking at your pics, it looks like you had it easier then I did.. haha

No way in HELL, I'd be throwing up peace signs b4 the gas chamber, we would have been on our faces then turned over for flutter kicks for a good while. Plus now with the ABU you don't even have to fold, or iron using hot water canteens...

But anyways, welcome to the club!

Oh, and yeah, we still use those tents.

Just please when you hit the real world at your first base, don't act like you know everything. Not saying you will, but just to help you out, listen to the others and don't have an attitude even if your superiors are younger then you or w/e.

You're at Elmendorf? In Air Trans? You might know my dad then.. Robert Abrom.

HEATON
04-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I'm at Elmo and a 2t2. I don't work for the port though, I'm a rigger. The name sounds familiar, what does he do?

You Air Trans also?

tron
04-06-2009, 04:37 PM
PJ's are also called pararescue. They dont work with any one service, their job is to pull downed pilots out of hot areas. Not at all an easy job and they are not special forces. If anything they fall into the same category as Marine Recon or Army Rangers. Specialized units, but not special forces.

http://www.military.com/specops/index.html?ESRC=ggl_rec_spops_gen.kw

SPEC OPS :D;):rolleyes:

quickdodge®
04-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I often wish that I had never been discharged from the military. I missed out on a lot. Later, QD.

tron
04-06-2009, 04:43 PM
^^^^^THANK YOU SIR FOR YOUR SERVICE (^_^)

quickdodge®
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
^^^^^THANK YOU SIR FOR YOUR SERVICE (^_^)

I performed no service. Unfortunately, I was discharged before I could do anything. Later, QD.

BanginJimmy
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.military.com/specops/index.html?ESRC=ggl_rec_spops_gen.kw

SPEC OPS :D;):rolleyes:

They also have Force Recon and Rangers there, neither of them is part of Special Operations Command, therefore not true special forces. The only true Special Forces are SEALS, Delta, and Army Special Forces. There has been talk of about 5 years about making Force Recon a part of SOC, but I've never heard anything about making it official.

tron
04-06-2009, 04:53 PM
They also have Force Recon and Rangers there, neither of them is part of Special Operations Command, therefore not true special forces. The only true Special Forces are SEALS, Delta, and Army Special Forces. There has been talk fo about 5 years about making Force Recon a part of SOC, but I've never heard anything about making it official.

hmmmmm well i don't know:???: all i can really do is tell you whats on the site. your probably right cause i haven't served yet or have i seen the inner workings of spec ops

tron
04-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I performed no service. Unfortunately, I was discharged before I could do anything. Later, QD.

oh damn! well thanks anyway for not being a negative part of society....lol:D

ranger250x
04-06-2009, 05:13 PM
wow i am shocked and plesantly suprised to see so many amongst us joining.

Congradulations tony!
be safe and make the best out of everything. Thank you

BABY J
04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I spent 8 years in the Air Force - it was litterally one the best decisions that I have ever made. After getting to see the world (good and bad), getting some training, a Top Secret Security Clearance (w/ Lifestyle poly) it was a good decision to get out as well.

tony
04-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I'm at Elmo and a 2t2. I don't work for the port though, I'm a rigger. The name sounds familiar, what does he do?

You Air Trans also?

He's port.. been there for like 20 years. He's in the first picture I posted I believe. I am 2t2 currently training at the 345th until May but I'll be at Dobbins ARB when I finish here.

HEATON
04-06-2009, 06:17 PM
He's port.. been there for like 20 years. He's in the first picture I posted I believe. I am 2t2 currently training at the 345th until May but I'll be at Dobbins ARB when I finish here.

That's cool. Yeah, I looked him up on the global, and it said he works TRK which is the same building I work in, I believe he works nightshift... (at work now, so I can't see pics..lol) Port DAWGS! Ah, memories of the 345 Iron Eagles! (Eagle's nest standby!!) If you want to get away with shit in tech school, become a rope! That's cool, I am actually deployed with ppl from Dobbins/Robbins right now. They seem like a good group to work with. Have fun, and try to stay awake during class!!

We actually got a 2t2 MySpace Group, pretty decent, always updating with new info and whatnot.

Oh, notice my Sig? Haha.. Yeah, that's the AMC motto.. or Another Missed Critmus.

chubbieboi
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
That's cool. Yeah, I looked him up on the global, and it said he works TRK which is the same building I work in, I believe he works nightshift... (at work now, so I can't see pics..lol) Port DAWGS! Ah, memories of the 345 Iron Eagles! (Eaglenest standby!!) If you want to get away with shit in tech school, become a rope! That's cool, I am actually deployed with ppl from Dobbins/Robbins right now. They seem like a good group to work with. Have fun, and try to stay awake during class!!

We actually got a 2t2 MySpace Group, pretty decent, always updating with new info and whatnot.

Oh, notice my Sig? Haha.. Yeah, that's the AMC motto.. or Another Missed Critmus.

haha i remember that, memories. Yeah, i had a lot of fun being a rope. especially doing accountability in the girls dorm :D. Ah yes, CQ duties is a blast and also G.I. Party. lol

I'm stationed at Moody AFB, GA for a year now

HEATON
04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
haha i remember that, memories. Yeah, i had a lot of fun being a rope. especially doing accountability in the girls dorm :D. Ah yes, CQ duties is a blast and also G.I. Party. lol

what's ur job? Yeah, screw GI Parties!! My graduation day, our NCOIC busted in the dorms all pissed off and was talkin about how he was divorced and didn't have a life anymore, and he was there to make us hate life also, and said if we didn't clean it spick/span no one was leaving.. Needless to say I started rippin freshies and screamed at them until that shit was clean.. haha

chubbieboi
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
what's ur job? Yeah, screw GI Parties!! My graduation day, our NCOIC busted in the dorms all pissed off and was talkin about how he was divorced and didn't have a life anymore, and he was there to make us hate life also, and said if we didn't clean it spick/span no one was leaving.. Needless to say I started rippin freshies and screamed at them until that shit was clean.. haha

SUP SUP hah ( supply)

Danny
04-06-2009, 10:52 PM
They also have Force Recon and Rangers there, neither of them is part of Special Operations Command, therefore not true special forces. The only true Special Forces are SEALS, Delta, and Army Special Forces. There has been talk of about 5 years about making Force Recon a part of SOC, but I've never heard anything about making it official.

Force Recon was desolved some time ago. Its now MARSOC, an extension of SOCOM. Now its true special forces :D

tony
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
That's cool. Yeah, I looked him up on the global, and it said he works TRK which is the same building I work in, I believe he works nightshift... (at work now, so I can't see pics..lol) Port DAWGS! Ah, memories of the 345 Iron Eagles! (Eagle's nest standby!!) If you want to get away with shit in tech school, become a rope! That's cool, I am actually deployed with ppl from Dobbins/Robbins right now. They seem like a good group to work with. Have fun, and try to stay awake during class!!

Yeah he's on the night shift, I've been going to that building since it was built a while ago. lol Its crazy how small the 2T2 world is.. I'll actually be getting my rope thursday but I'm ready to leave and start some real training at my base, the only struggle right now as you said is staying awake during class. Shoot me the myspace link.

Danny
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Yeah he's on the night shift, I've been going to that building since it was built a while ago. lol Its crazy how small the 2T2 world is.. I'll actually be getting my rope thursday but I'm ready to leave and start some real training at my base, the only struggle right now as you said is staying awake during class. Shoot me the myspace link.

I have always wondered what happens if they see u nodding off during class?

tony
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM

We had a F'n G.I party across the squadron saturday morning cause these dumb asses come in drunk on the weekend and put holes in the wall. No more accountability in the female dorm either.. they keep everything completely seperate now. We have to stand at attention when addressing ALL NCO's (TDY's, etc) because about 15 individuals walked by a 2 star without acknowledging him, so fun times at the 345th right now.

tony
04-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I have always wondered what happens if they see u nodding off during class?

Depends on the instructor, some will yell and some will send you back a week in training if you do it enough. I've yet to see anyone get washed back, generally my instructor will throw a ball at your head if he sees you asleep.

HEATON
04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Depends on the instructor, some will yell and some will send you back a week in training if you do it enough. I've yet to see anyone get washed back, generally my instructor will throw a ball at your head if he sees you asleep.

Haha.. Yeah, I remember the "ball". Yall played 2t2Jeopardy yet? If you haven't ask your instructor about it, it is really useful for review b4 test.

Seems like there is always someone knocking holes in those walls, it happened when I was there, some guy thought he would be spider man and jus off one wall and land on the other, and went straight through.

I don't have the link, still at work, but check mine www.MySpace.com/a1cheaton (http://www.MySpace.com/a1cheaton) and jus look at my groups.

R32Dragon
04-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Lulz, I remember that BS. Never folded underwear so neatly in my life...

92mr2T
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
should there be a military section on IA now?

Danny
04-07-2009, 08:56 AM

lol sounds fun. Reminds me of a law enforcement teacher i had. Instead of throwing a ball he would hit u with a practice baton on the head or any other area within reach.

BanginJimmy
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Force Recon was desolved some time ago. Its now MARSOC, an extension of SOCOM. Now its true special forces :D

I was actually about to post that. The article I read said it finally happened in 2006, right after I got off active duty. It didnt say if MARSOC was actually a part of SOC though.

Nyteryder
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
how do you like contractor work vs military? Mind saying which contractor you work for?

If i knew contrator work was this easy and paid so well I would have never joined the military. I work for KBR or Kellogg Brown and Root.

Nyteryder
04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
I did air trans my last 4 years in. I was with 165th APS out of savannah ga. My first afsc was sat com.

HEATON
04-07-2009, 08:48 PM
If i knew contrator work was this easy and paid so well I would have never joined the military. I work for KBR or Kellogg Brown and Root.

Where are you? We work with KBR Logistics.

HEATON
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
I did air trans my last 4 years in. I was with 165th APS out of savannah ga. My first afsc was sat com.

That's cool. I got 2 left then going reserve prob out of Robbins, maybe Dobbins.

BABY J
04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
The funny thing is, that a lot of contractors are ex-military --- and very few contractors don't have prior military experience.

Nyteryder
04-07-2009, 09:14 PM
The funny thing is, that a lot of contractors are ex-military --- and very few contractors don't have prior military experience.

The recruiters do prefer military background because the feel you are more aware of the living conditions but those without prior military experience outnumber us by a long shot

Nyteryder
04-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Where are you? We work with KBR Logistics.

I started of in balad, iraq and after a few months i went to baghdad. I am in the logistics field. I am in movement control. I track and set up all third county national convoys coming through baghdad. I run our night shift operation

HEATON
04-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I started of in balad, iraq and after a few months i went to baghdad. I am in the logistics field. I am in movement control. I track and set up all third county national convoys coming through baghdad. I run our night shift operation

Ah, that's cool.

We work more with the air movement part, actually I process the cargo that arrives there, and get's carried out on your convoys. haha.

AFSil80
04-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Good career move! Looking back, my 4 year enlistment blew by fast, but I am gracious that I was able to serve.

I think I still have one of my brown shirts folded up with the tweezers. I'm sure you enjoyed Latrine Queen. Our sister flight's TI would slip in right before we left for formation and would piss on the toilet rim just to see if our Queen would catch it.

HEATON
04-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Good career move! Looking back, my 4 year enlistment blew by fast, but I am gracious that I was able to serve.

I think I still have one of my brown shirts folded up with the tweezers. I'm sure you enjoyed Latrine Queen. Our sister flight's TI would slip in right before we left for formation and would piss on the toilet rim just to see if our Queen would catch it.

Yeah, dayum those TIs!

Once our LQ left a toilet seat down, so we had to form up and salute the toilet and say "I will never let you down" (gotta love that pun). It must be nice to get paid to make ppl feel stupid.. hahah

tony
04-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Yeah, dayum those TIs!

Once our LQ left a toilet seat down, so we had to form up and salute the toilet and say "I will never let you down" (gotta love that pun). It must be nice to get paid to make ppl feel stupid.. hahah

What squadron were you at? I was Latrine queen and our T.I threatened to do just that if someone left the toilet seat down.

Danny
04-08-2009, 02:39 PM
I was actually about to post that. The article I read said it finally happened in 2006, right after I got off active duty. It didnt say if MARSOC was actually a part of SOC though.

Here is SOCOMs website, you will see MARSOC in the middle with all the other units that are a part of SOCOM. Actually it was 2005 i think.

http://www.socom.mil/

BanginJimmy
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
The thing I saw said 2006, but that is very interesting info. I am glad to see that they did finally do it. A friend of mine from my first duty station went into Recon back in 99.

Danny
04-08-2009, 03:10 PM
The thing I saw said 2006, but that is very interesting info. I am glad to see that they did finally do it. A friend of mine from my first duty station went into Recon back in 99.

must have been amazing for him. I read somthing that one of the MEU units was incorporated into MARSOC also, in addition to all the Force Recon guys. Pretty cool stuff.

Danny
04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Your right 2006. Looks like 2005 was when the decision was made, and feb 24, 2006 was when it was offical :D

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/building-marsoc-03793/

Who was missing from this picture? The Marines. Why? Because to the Marines, every Marine is special. After all, what higher honor could there possibly be than to say you were a US Marine? None. Which is why the USMC had Force Recon personnel, and whole Marine Expeditionary Unit – Special Operations Capable formations. They had no special forces. Until November 2005, when the US Marines agreed to stand up MARSOC with 2,500 Marine special forces – even as they managed to remain true to their credo. MARSOC was formally established on February 24/06.

BanginJimmy
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
A MEU is a HUGE thing. It is a battalion of infantry, 2 re-enforced squadrons of air (1harrier, 1 with 4 different helicopters), and all of the support personnel for it. Special Ops Capable MEU's are simply certified for any type of mission, not just combat missions. These include humanitarian missions, rescue missions, and any type of support mission.

Danny
04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
A MEU is a HUGE thing. It is a battalion of infantry, 2 re-enforced squadrons of air (1harrier, 1 with 4 different helicopters), and all of the support personnel for it. Special Ops Capable MEU's are simply certified for any type of mission, not just combat missions. These include humanitarian missions, rescue missions, and any type of support mission.

Ya they are crazy. These guys are so impressive, nothing but respect for anyone that is able to get into one of these elite units!

BanginJimmy
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM
a MEU is not an elite unit though. It is a regular unit that has some pre-deployment certifications.

Danny
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Hmm,. they are still elite in my eyes :D

Sorry for all the OT Tony.

BanginJimmy
04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I know we are.

I deployed as part of the 31st MEU out of Okinawa, Japan twice.

HEATON
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
What squadron were you at? I was Latrine queen and our T.I threatened to do just that if someone left the toilet seat down.

the old 320th, near the gate, we were last flight to be in the building, but I doubt it's the same guy. This was over 4 years ago.

tony
04-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Hmm,. they are still elite in my eyes :D

Sorry for all the OT Tony.

Its perfectly fine, I enjoy the military talk whatever it is. I ran with PJ's today, I'd go ahead and categorize them as special forces.

Humphrizzle
04-08-2009, 05:45 PM
awesome.. i'm going to Navy boot camp in 3-4 months..

HEATON
04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
awesome.. i'm going to Navy boot camp in 3-4 months..

Ur lucky you got the summer time to go there, had a few friends who went during the winter. Needless to say, the water was almost frozen..

BABY J
04-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I was in AF basic in San Antonio from 23June1997 to August (HOT!!!!). And I was in USAF Survival School in Spokane, Washington in January1998 (3 feet of snow) - LOL. I couldn't win for losing.

HEATON
04-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Tony;

What week are you in, what you learning now?

Are you using the Shoppette Cyberzone computers? If so, i use to do a lil trick to save me money..

If they are still the computers that have a button that you press that goes from APPS to GAMES (or something like that) once you enter your code or however to log on, press the button that switches from APPS to GAMES really fast for about 30 secs. This would cause it to freeze up the clock that shows how much time you have left on your card, thus get free time! Jus make sure you only use enough money to jus log on, bc then it would be a waste of money otherwise..

So basically for about 2.50 you could be on all day without a time limit..

tony
04-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Nah I got Verizon for my internet access, we get so little time in the afternoon that I get tired of walking back and forth. We're testing on the 2nd block tomorrow so I'm in my 3rd week, they changed the curriculum for Air Trans so now theres only 4 testable blocks and the subject matter is all over the place... literally.

HEATON
04-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Ah, Yeah, when I was there the Oak Inn wasn't in use, so we had to walk to the cops chow hall.

Hmm, that's weird. We had a test every week on Friday. If possible keep those work books, they are almost identical to your CDCs.

chubbieboi
04-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Ah, Yeah, when I was there the Oak Inn wasn't in use, so we had to walk to the cops chow hall.

Hmm, that's weird. We had a test every week on Friday. If possible keep those work books, they are almost identical to your CDCs.

nah, you can't keep the work books. They took it up at the end of every test. answer every question in your worksheet, i remember around 20+ that didn't and they all got LOR. Which mean that they couldn't do recruiter assistance and had to report to their first duty station in few days, unless you use your leaves.