PDA

View Full Version : what tools

djatskool
03-27-2009, 10:15 PM
what tools do i need to rebuild a block? Any special tools i need? thanks

Bus Driver J
03-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Your special tool is the Sponsors Section (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5) because if you have to ask you dont need to know.

cm7k24
03-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Your special tool is the Sponsors Section (http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5) because if you have to ask you dont need to know.

x2 lol

NOCLUE
03-27-2009, 11:03 PM
A complete metric socket set,deep and shallow ratchets an extention

complete metric wrench set

torque wrench

flathead an phillips

rubber mallet

razor to remove old gaskets

pliers

and a radio

im_hung
03-28-2009, 12:56 AM

torque wrench

flathead an phillips

rubber mallet

pliers

and a radio

+
cylinder hone (if needed), ring compressor, absolute straight edge, feeler gauge

Barefoot
03-28-2009, 07:31 AM
rebuild a block? long short or complete. if its complete your going to need a few more tools than are listed.

+
cylinder hone (if needed), ring compressor, absolute straight edge, feeler gauge+ plasti gauge and dial indicator

Tech5
03-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Tools needed to rebuild a block Hummmm how about hire/buy a mechanic first?

Black4DrEK
03-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Also need assembly lube:nautjerk:

SixSquared
03-28-2009, 02:15 PM
step away... from the engine...

ksniperfox
03-28-2009, 03:54 PM
go to any sears and get a big set of socket wrenches and adjustable pliers.

that should do it for the most part.

Humphrizzle
03-28-2009, 03:57 PM

wtf kinda answer is that? how are you supposed to learn anything if you bring your car to a shop anytime you want to do something.

that's kind of the reason for the forum. to gain information and spread knowledge. Not to solicit labor.

NOCLUE
03-28-2009, 04:07 PM
REPS FOR YOU SIR.......

Humphrizzle
03-28-2009, 04:08 PM
back at ya

Barefoot
03-28-2009, 04:15 PM
wtf kinda answer is that? how are you supposed to learn anything if you bring your car to a shop anytime you want to do something.

that's kind of the reason for the forum. to gain information and spread knowledge. Not to solicit labor.qtf:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Hondatwin23
03-31-2009, 05:32 AM
Keep the number to your local car part store handy and please take ur time or else you will spend plenty of it on the side of the road

Good luck

AnthonyF
03-31-2009, 05:59 AM
If you plan on doing this a couple times, call Matco or Snap-on (preferred) and tell them what you are doing and order the tools they suggest. It'll pob be in between 400-1000 bucks in GOOD tools.

-Ant.

Barefoot
03-31-2009, 06:54 AM
If you plan on doing this a couple times, call Matco or Snap-on (preferred) and tell them what you are doing and order the tools they suggest. It'll pob be in between 400-1000 bucks in GOOD tools.

-Ant.more like 1000-2000 easy.

AnthonyF
03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
more like 1000-2000 easy.

IF he decides to buy a bunch of stuff. If he has muscle, he can get away with some basic sockets and ratchets and 1 or 2 extensions. it'd be a pain in the ass in some areas but at least he could be proud he did it himself. A decent tq wrench is about 150. We got a digital one here...shit is awesome! ft lbs, NM's, degrees...i love it. That was like 350-450.

-Ant.

speedminded
03-31-2009, 09:53 AM

torque wrench

flathead an phillips

rubber mallet

pliers

and a radioHow do you know metric? :taun:

Barefoot
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
How do you know metric? :taun:lets face the facts this place is 90% imports. so its a safe guess.

Barefoot
03-31-2009, 10:26 AM
We got a digital one here...shit is awesome! ft lbs, NM's, degrees...i love it. That was like 350-450.

-Ant.the techwrench i got the 3/8 version. i love it.

speedminded
03-31-2009, 10:45 AM
IF he decides to buy a bunch of stuff. If he has muscle, he can get away with some basic sockets and ratchets and 1 or 2 extensions. it'd be a pain in the ass in some areas but at least he could be proud he did it himself. A decent tq wrench is about 150. We got a digital one here...shit is awesome! ft lbs, NM's, degrees...i love it. That was like 350-450.

-Ant.Snap-On doesn't warranty the electronics on the digital torque wrenches :doh:

Barefoot
03-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Snap-On doesn't warranty the electronics on the digital torque wrenches :doh:most others dont either. pretty just dont break it lol.

Master Shake
03-31-2009, 10:59 AM

that's kind of the reason for the forum. to gain information and spread knowledge. Not to solicit labor.its the kind of answer that is gonna to save the block, instead of it being sent to the junk/scrap yard.

AnthonyF
03-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Snap-On doesn't warranty the electronics on the digital torque wrenches :doh:That's why we ONLY use it for big important jobs. Engine builds mainly.

-Ant.

speedminded
03-31-2009, 05:48 PM
most others dont either. pretty just dont break it lol.That's the only thing that kept me from buying one when I was at Honda. I wasn't even a tech but was everybody's bitch for the crap jobs on the cars they didn't want to do lol. I didn't mind, it just meant double pay for me lol!

MusicManG3
03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
My matco 3/8" locking flex is probably the most beautiful tool ever to grace my box. But yeah.
Full set of sockets, standard deep and sometimes others for example my head bolts are 12 point bolt head 12MM. 13mm fits perfect but if you're dumb enough to use it, you've just ruined the bolt.
Solid and swivel extensions in lengths up to 6"
Feeler gauges, plastigauge
Rubber mallet, vice grips with some good rags for cam/crank end caps
Torque wrench...Go through your service manual and find out the maximum torque specs your motor will require and buy a wrench accordingly.

If you're building a full out race motor. Don't rebuild it yourself. Engine builders are good at what they do because they check ever clearance possible and know whats acceptable and whats not. For a good street motor, you don't need to go that crazy. Have a machine shop bore and hone, use the correct oversize bearings. Make sure your bearing clearances good. Throw everything together to the right torque specs and party.

Hondatwin23
03-31-2009, 06:37 PM
You are on the right path buy on as needed basis. As you learn to do your own work ur tool will advance as you learn to do more difficult jobs. Get a helms owner manual and the lay it all out for you.

gsrteg
04-01-2009, 11:04 AM
also thing you might need:

-scotch brite (the brown kind) to clean surface of block or head

-brake cleaner (clean gunk of engine)

-lots of paper towels/ or lint free cloth

-honda bond or RTV selant (don't apply too much, areas: like valve cover, cam seal, oil pan gasket, and transmission surface.)

-dial bore gauge (for precision measurements for cylinder, always double check diameter)

-micrometers

-piston ring compressors

-snap ring pliers (you might need these, get a good kind too, not the cheap ones from autoadvance)

-pliers (long and short needle nose pliers, 90 degree pliers, and others)

-cyclinder ring filier

-feeler guages, to check clearance of cyclinder rings, and valves

-torque wrench (3/8 will work fine, better to get digital torque wrench)

-air tools, air compressor

-engine stand (easier for the engine to stand on a stable position)

-a service manual (from honda, if you can't afford, search for it on the net, theres sites hosting them (for free))

and probably other basic tools, like rachets, sockets, philips screw driver, and etc...

hope this helps in some way....

Hondatwin23
04-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Bingo

dc 4eva guy
04-14-2009, 04:44 AM
head light fluid always comes in handy... lol jk. but IMO if you dont know what tools you need to rebuild a block you shouldnt be rebuilding it.

Humphrizzle
04-19-2009, 03:39 PM
its the kind of answer that is gonna to save the block, instead of it being sent to the junk/scrap yard.

mistakes happen.. if he cant put the thing together after he tries, he should sell his car and get a cheap piece of crap he wont have to work on.

turbob20
04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
after 15 years in the game every thing since 1986 was converted to metric as well as domestics as for integra motors a 10mm socket deep and shallowfor oil pan bolts,oil pump,valve cover,waterpump and extensions where needed, 12mm deep and shallow for rod boltsand on vtecs for the cam rails, 32mm for axel nuts, 14 mm for brackets and cam gears,headbolts & tensioner,17mm for mounts,19mm for lug nuts, torque wrench and specs on each like head,mains,rods,flywheel and pressure plate bolts. you can pretty much do an entire swap with these and some help from some one whos been around the block a few times. also youll need a good machine shop if theres any serious grooves in the cylinder walls,a piston ring squeezer.also you need to know the proper way to install bearings and clock the piston rings.and the right way to tension the timing belt helps too.. i know you want to learn and some guys r dicks. but you need to at least have someone experienced watch over and coach you and then next time it'll be on...GOOD LUCK!