PDA

View Full Version : Head Help!

T34me
03-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Ok, ive looked for hours for this and cannot find on here, internet, honda tech, so please dont say "oh, use the search". I am beginning to believe i bought a head under false pretenses. I bought a "fully rebuilt b18b head". What i received was definitely a rebuilt non-vtec head, all brand new OEM components, minus cams. But i dont think its a b18b head. I have searched everywhere for the head stamp and i CANNOT FIND IT ANYWHERE!! I have found PR4-0, PR4-1, PR4-2, and PR4-4. MY HEAD IS STAMPED PR4-3 and i cannot find that stamp anywhere on internet. Mad props for anyone who can give me info on this head (year most important)

Barefoot
03-26-2009, 03:27 AM
how about this u post a pix of the head. if it has pr4 on it its a ls head.

T34me
03-26-2009, 11:25 AM
i know its a ls head, but this goes in hand with that problem you were trying to help me on. If its a b18a head, and i have the b18b cams in there, i was reading the intake cam on the b has higher lift than the a, which may be why the cam cant rotate. but ill post pic. As you can see in pic on the right is stamp, but on the left, here is where my confusion really kicks in. I know that pre 92 or 93 the bolt pattern on the IM was different, and as you can see, that freaking thing says 89. So theroretically, my supercharger should not bolt up since its for 94 and up, but, sure enough, it does. So, WTF IS GOING ON!!!

T34me
03-27-2009, 12:06 AM
bump

bigdare23
03-27-2009, 12:10 AM
I know that pre 92 or 93 the bolt pattern on the IM was different, and as you can see, that freaking thing says 89.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

The bolt pattern shouldn't be different between a b18a and b18b head

stephen
03-27-2009, 01:59 AM
i tried to do a little research for you, and this is what i found:

PR3-X = B16A/ITR family cast
PR3-4 = B16A
PR3-3 = ITR

PR3 1989-1991 Integra XSi/RSi
PR3-J00 1992 Integra JDM B16A EF 8/9
PR3-J51 1992 Integra JDM B16A EF 8/9
PR4 1990-1993 Integra LS/GS
PR4 1996-1999 Integra LS/GS/RS (B18B)

i took a look at the thread you started with the problem you had, and i'm not really a "honda guy" but i figured i'd try to help (since it seems like the thread didn't get much attention).

is there SUPPOSED to be profile difference between the intake and exhaust cams for that head? i had an issue like that on a 240 motor i rebuilt. the exhaust cam had a higher lift than the intake. i crossed up the cams, and one side wouldn't spin. perhaps you either A) put the cams in backwards or B) purchased 2 of the same cams (either 2 intake, or 2 exhaust). in either case, with the motor all together and timed right, the extra tall cam (on the wrong side of course) is causing the valve to slap the piston.....just a thought

Barefoot
03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
is there SUPPOSED to be profile difference between the intake and exhaust cams for that head? i had an issue like that on a 240 motor i rebuilt. the exhaust cam had a higher lift than the intake. i crossed up the cams, and one side wouldn't spin. perhaps you either A) put the cams in backwards or B) purchased 2 of the same cams (either 2 intake, or 2 exhaust). in either case, with the motor all together and timed right, the extra tall cam (on the wrong side of course) is causing the valve to slap the piston.....just a thoughtsee this is what i thought. i was giving him benefit of the doubt. i figure if he is building a motor he couldnt fuck up something as simple as installing cams.

T34me
03-27-2009, 09:42 AM
ahah, thanks, not its impossible to fuck it up, the cams are marked "IN" and "EX"

T34me
03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

The bolt pattern shouldn't be different between a b18a and b18b head

All of these quotes are off of honda tech:

Please search, this has been covered a million times. It's mainly head differences (cams, intake manifold bolt pattern, etc.), but some of the holes for the sensors may be different in the block (not that big of a deal but there are differences).

Also the b18b has bigger intake ports.

92+ heads has bigger cams and a bigger im.

EmminoDaGreat
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I am thinking that is a 90 model b18a1 head.

EmminoDaGreat
03-27-2009, 10:11 AM
My hypothesis on this being the date stamp 89, can be of that year, or next year.... (making 90, first DA) and PR-4 LS.

T34me
03-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I am leaning towards that to, but:
1. Why is there no mention of a pr4-3 head anywhere that i can find. If you look at my earlier post, you can find info on PR4-0 through PR4-4, EXCEPT no one mentions a PR4-3

2. If it is a pre-92 b18a head, and supposedly the IM bolt pattern is supposed to be different?, then why does the supercharger fit? OR, is that not a correct statement the guy from hondatech made about the bolt pattern being different?

stephen
03-27-2009, 06:53 PM
All of these quotes are off of honda tech:

Please search, this has been covered a million times. It's mainly head differences (cams, intake manifold bolt pattern, etc.), but some of the holes for the sensors may be different in the block (not that big of a deal but there are differences).

Also the b18b has bigger intake ports.

92+ heads has bigger cams and a bigger im.

that last point might be your problem. if the 92+ has bigger cams, maybe you have those cams installed in a 90 model head. one of those cams might be way too tall causing valves to touch the piston.

as far as the bolt pattern...perhaps there's no difference in the bolt pattern. maybe the guy gave you false info. i just did a quick ebay search for "B18 intake manifold" and i clicked on the first auction for a skunk2 intake and it clearly states:

Application:-
Any Car With B18A or B18B LS/RS MOTOR

which would lead me to believe that there is NO DIFFERENCE in the bolt pattern for the intake. there's a few auctions on there and they say "for 90-01 LS,RS,GS B18 a & b engines"

i also went directly to the skunk2 site and it's the same info:
http://www.skunk2.com/engine-2.php?code=INPROB

yeah dude...so i think you might have the wrong cams in that head.

see this is what i thought. i was giving him benefit of the doubt. i figure if he is building a motor he couldnt fuck up something as simple as installing cams.

lol, hey sometimes it happens. when your mind is moving at 1000 miles a minute it's easy to make dumb mistakes. lol, it took me 2 days to figure it out when i made that mistake.

T34me
03-27-2009, 11:19 PM
thats what im leaning towards, anyone want to sell a intake came from a pre 92 b18a?? :)

stephen
03-28-2009, 01:21 AM
i did a little more research for you, and SUPPOSEDLY the exhaust port bolt pattern is different...not the intake side. so i'd make sure your exhaust manifold will bolt up to it. if that works, then it seems like you just need the right cams! good luck with it mang!

T34me
03-28-2009, 05:32 PM
shit, i hope that it bolts up, ive got a 250 megan header that im not really willing to lose. Thanks for your guys help, reps given