PDA

View Full Version : m10 drivetrain issue

TheGrillMan
03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
car is a 1984 318i m104cyl btw

well as i was on my way to work today im at a light i allmost allways get caught by

no big deal it turns green and i let out the clutch like usuall then i notice

no power at all im still reving up but its not puting anything down

then i noticed when i got up to speed (awhile later) if im in 5th gear crusing about 65 or so and i give it enough gas to speed up it starts bucking real bad

same with just about any gear if i try to stay in that gear and cruise at a constant speed

i also noticed that if im going downhill and i put it to the floor while in 5th it doesnt buck but if i do the same while going uphill the bucking is so bad its hard to stay on the road

thanks for any input you guys have im in dire need to address this problem seeing as this is my dd

Cool Cat Racing
03-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Have you changed the fuel filter in awhile? The in tank pump on the early cars is a POS so that may be a place to look as well. Sounds like its having either an issue with fuel supply or the spark is diminished a good bit. From the sound of it I'd check the cap/rotor and then the fuel supply.

TheGrillMan
03-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Have you changed the fuel filter in awhile? The in tank pump on the early cars is a POS so that may be a place to look as well. Sounds like its having either an issue with fuel supply or the spark is diminished a good bit. From the sound of it I'd check the cap/rotor and then the fuel supply.

i thought maybe it was a fuel problem but when i pulled over to a service station and had a friend sit in the car while i played with the linkage it didnt studder at all whatso ever seem to run just fine while sitting still

ill check the plugs and wires in the am along with the timing

thanks for the input!

TheGrillMan
03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
also would anything getting wet may have caused this?

since its been pooring rain all day and it was fine when i left but started acting up about halfway to work (hr drive)

Thighs
03-25-2009, 09:41 PM
vacuum leak.