PDA

View Full Version : General Chat Thinking about doing straight pipes on my E36 328i. Yay or Nay?

VTECking
03-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Heres a vid to show how it will sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEgRZIxhj40

FasTech
03-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Well, are you talking about straight pipes from the cat or straight from the headers?

HypnoToad
03-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Well, are you talking about straight pipes from the cat or straight from the headers?
header,this isnt some redneck V8

OnURleft
03-25-2009, 01:00 AM
You'll loose about 20ft/lbs of torque. Ask me how I know.

amped4life33
03-25-2009, 01:54 AM
i know some redneck V8s thatll bust that ass...

they may not be able to talk straight or count very high or accomplish basic reasoning tasks...but those jokers can twist a damn wrench and get that power on the ground quick

TheGrillMan
03-25-2009, 01:56 AM

they may not be able to talk straight or count very high or accomplish basic reasoning tasks...but those jokers can twist a damn wrench and get that power on the ground quick

awesome

since that has nothing to do with the OP

:goodjob:

81911SC
03-25-2009, 01:58 AM
You will lose power and it will sound like shit. If you don't know the science behind exhaust systems, don't screw with it.

ksniperfox
03-25-2009, 09:06 AM
the most i would do is replace the cat with a test pipe and retain mufflers. even then it would still be very loud, and the drone gets very annoying. not really worth the potential power gains.

if you just want noise you are a ricer lol

sleepys4
03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Do you have stock exhaust now? I would go with a catback a lot more pricey but worth it in the end. I like Active Autowerks stuff, but i don't know to much about the 328's just M3. Either way, enjoy yourself!

HypnoToad
03-25-2009, 10:13 AM

look at my name................lol

Greddypacked
03-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I wouldnt suggest it. I voted no, BMW's are nice for sporty, luxury and that straight pipe doesnt belong on one lol. Put on a nice catback and it wont be as lound but sound just as good. I mean people are going to ask you if you do put straight pipes on "what you got done to that, it sounds mean...", "Oh i got straight pipe's". IMO i would be like ah no.

Romeo
03-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Look at all the shit the exhaust blows on the camera in the video. That right there is a tell-tale sign to straight piped.

VTECking
03-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Look at all the shit the exhaust blows on the camera in the video. That right there is a tell-tale sign to straight piped. Thats condensation from the warm exhaust getting on the cold camera lense. You can see it evaporate as soon as he picks the camera up to show the car.

VTECking
03-25-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a reactive muffler welded on it "I bought the car that way" and it does sound pretty good, but I thought that putting straight pipes on it would let the engine breathe easier and thus allowing it to produce more power.

speedminded
03-25-2009, 11:31 PM
I have a reactive muffler welded on it "I bought the car that way" and it does sound pretty good, but I thought that putting straight pipes on it would let the engine breathe easier and thus allowing it to produce more power....and thus you were wrong. If you aren't adding more fuel then you can't exactly add much power. No back pressure will mean a major loss of torque [with a normally aspirated engine] as well.

What year e36? The later model 328's have a stainless header that would be preferable over the older cast version. I'd leave the cats on, add a high flow resonator, and put a magnaflow on the back...

81911SC
03-25-2009, 11:33 PM
I have a reactive muffler welded on it "I bought the car that way" and it does sound pretty good, but I thought that putting straight pipes on it would let the engine breathe easier and thus allowing it to produce more power.Little more to it then that broski.

VTECking
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
...and thus you were wrong. If you aren't adding more fuel then you can't exactly add much power. No back pressure will mean a major loss of torque [with a normally aspirated engine] as well.

What year e36? The later model 328's have a stainless header that would be preferable over the older cast version. I'd leave the cats on, add a high flow resonator, and put a magnaflow on the back...
its a 1998, and thanks for clearing that up bro.

speedminded
03-26-2009, 11:21 AM
its a 1998, and thanks for clearing that up bro.Leave the cats on just for ease of emission testing if needed and allowing the car's DME/ECU to gather the info correctly. You won't gain much, if any at all, by removing them.

Thighs
03-26-2009, 11:27 AM
leave the cats, and ditch the muffler.