PDA

View Full Version : Smoking + burnt rubber smell

Tensa_Zanget
03-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Here are some general info about the car: b20b on a crx.

Anyhow, just recently when I driven the car for like 5 or 10 mins there will be a strong nasty smell of burn rubber coming from the two wheel in the front. Furthermore, a few days ago when i was driving around my area for a few mins my car seems to lag or stagger so i pulled it a side and turned it off. Then when i tried to start it again and put it in gear it wouldnt move which i thought could of been a slip clutch (impossible just got new clutch and barely drive the car) but then after a while a friend starts playing with the brake pedal and found out it was all the way on the floor so he got it release and it was able to move afterward.

Then, i got it to the house and took out the wheels and was sniffing for the awful fumes and it seems to be coming from the calipers (not 100% sure). Anyone know what could go wrong and any suggestions for me to diagnose the problem before telling me to buy new parts and only cost me more money rather than fixing the problems. help would be greatly appreciated :goodjob: .

Master Shake
03-22-2009, 11:13 PM
with the brakes, sounds like it might be a bad master cylinder/brake booster.
as far the smell, the only thing i could think of was your tires rubbing, but i don't know.

Tensa_Zanget
03-23-2009, 01:15 AM
i had the master cylinder replace before. And i dont think it could be bad master cylinder or brake booster b/c i never had that experience with the brake pedal to the ground after the new master cyliner. What i am thinking is the caliper locking which i dont know how is that possible since the fume came from it.

Barefoot
03-23-2009, 07:29 AM
im going to go with a locked cal. an the smell was the rubber boot on the piston getting burnt. just a blind guess.

Romeo
03-23-2009, 08:40 AM
im going to go with a locked cal. an the smell was the rubber boot on the piston getting burnt. just a blind guess.
That's what I'm guessing also.

seanrg1116
03-23-2009, 09:05 AM
i had the same problem and its not the caliper its the piston that is attached to the brake pedal from the booster that pushes the master cylinder you clearance is off and you need to get it checked.

ps. only honda was willing to fuck with mine to get it right

I found a site that tells you how to adjust it on the fly but it is going to take some time to get it right. Honda designed it so only they could easily work on it.

Tensa_Zanget
03-23-2009, 12:40 PM

thats wat im guessing to has something to do with locked caliper but not 100 percent sur.

Tensa_Zanget
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
i had the same problem and its not the caliper its the piston that is attached to the brake pedal from the booster that pushes the master cylinder you clearance is off and you need to get it checked.

ps. only honda was willing to fuck with mine to get it right

I found a site that tells you how to adjust it on the fly but it is going to take some time to get it right. Honda designed it so only they could easily work on it.

please provide the site if u can find it. You think if i were to get my caliper replace will that solve the problem?

big mac
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
take the tires off and see if they are rubbing on anything

speedminded
03-23-2009, 05:11 PM
hrmm...tires/rubber don't smell like brakes, brakes don't smell like clutch, and clutch doesn't smell like tires.

Tensa_Zanget
03-23-2009, 06:56 PM
oh also when i took out the brake pads it still has alot of meat left.

^^speedminded what r u trying to say?

seanrg1116
03-24-2009, 07:45 AM
please provide the site if u can find it. You think if i were to get my caliper replace will that solve the problem?

The only way to fix it is to. Either buy the special honda tools, make some your self or di what I did and just swap a complete booster and master combo from another car.

ps if this is your problem it will cause your calipers to hold pressure and not relese. A way to buy pass it so you can still drive with out casuing damage to the system is to just SLIGHTLY crack open a brake line to the propotioning valve and let some air into the system so they can lock up completely.

Tensa_Zanget
03-24-2009, 11:44 PM
really hope thats not the case but just some simple caliper replacing might fix it. Anyone else has this problem before, just want more feedback before i decide to buy calipers.

seanrg1116
03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
a used booster and master combo is probably going to be cheaper than calipers. I know I bought calipers first and then had to go get the other stuff