PDA

View Full Version : Prelude not starting...NEED HELP!!!!!!!

hfp09
03-22-2009, 11:45 AM
OK...me and my buddy have a 92 Prelude SI. About two weeks ago the car wouldn't start up. It seems like there is a problem with it not being able to catch fire. I have no idea why all of a sudden it just won't start up...i tried to crank it up yesterday and half way through the third try the battery completely dies. So now i have a problem with the car not starting and something that is killing the hell out of my battery. Any help will be repped...need to figure this shit out so we can get it gone. thanks.

Master Shake
03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
is it getting fire?
fuel?

egibbs123
03-22-2009, 05:04 PM
check fuel, spark, and compression....

hfp09
03-22-2009, 06:03 PM
fuel is going from the tank to the engine...can smell it. it just wont fire to fully crank over and start. but there is something killing the battery too.

81911SC
03-22-2009, 06:04 PM
How are we supposed to check these things for you? It could be anything.

Master Shake
03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
if you can smell the fuel then check the plugs. might of flooded it out.
and the battery....that's on you man, no one can check that shit for you.

hfp09
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM
i'm not askin anyone to check the stuff...i'm just saying what the problem is to see if anyone else has encountered this before. I replaced the plugs already so i have eliminated that. I don't know where else to look...as for the battery, it was in the middle of the crank process that it just completely died...and again, dont expect people to check this out for me but just seeing if anyone else has had this happen before.

Master Shake
03-22-2009, 08:02 PM
i'm not askin anyone to check the stuff...i'm just saying what the problem is to see if anyone else has encountered this before. I replaced the plugs already so i have eliminated that. I don't know where else to look...as for the battery, it was in the middle of the crank process that it just completely died...and again, dont expect people to check this out for me but just seeing if anyone else has had this happen before.i know, i was just saying....

but a hot wire is being grounded somewhere. could be anywhere really.
is the car getting spark though? like a nice, blue spark?
i had a car before where it wasn't sparking hot enough to ignite the fuel.

hfp09
03-23-2009, 07:21 AM
i don't think that it is getting a good enough spark...what is the best way to check the plugs to see if they are getting a good spark? My dad told me one way, pulling a plug out attached the the wire and putting it on a piece of metal to see if its sparking that way, but that is hard when you got one person.

Romeo
03-23-2009, 08:43 AM
i don't think that it is getting a good enough spark...what is the best way to check the plugs to see if they are getting a good spark? My dad told me one way, pulling a plug out attached the the wire and putting it on a piece of metal to see if its sparking that way, but that is hard when you got one person.
Yeah, no one you're going to be able to do that with one person. But all you really have to do is just take them out, still connected to the wire, and place on top of the valve cover. You could also get a test light and check power to the coil.

BB1_Luda
03-23-2009, 09:28 AM
All the wires are in the right order on the distributor right? ;)

hfp09
03-23-2009, 09:41 AM
they should be...hasn't been messed with besides the plugs being pulled and replaced.

Jecht
03-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, the battery died because you repeatedly tried to crank it. Because the car didn't run, it didn't get a chance to charge the battery again after each attempt to start the car. No wonder the battery died.

Master Shake
03-23-2009, 10:07 AM
^what he said.

i still think you need to check to see if you are getting a nice good spark though.

hfp09
03-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, the battery died because you repeatedly tried to crank it. Because the car didn't run, it didn't get a chance to charge the battery again after each attempt to start the car. No wonder the battery died.

I figured that...it was the only thing that would make sense with it dying in the middle of a crank.

hfp09
03-25-2009, 01:41 PM
any other suggestions?

schia89
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
did you wash your engine ur distributor might have water in it

Dirty1
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
im having the same problem with my DA...

AnthonyF
04-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Why do you and your buddy have the same car? I dont think he is actually your "buddy".

Aside from that, pull the wires off and crank it over. See if you have spark going through the wire. If not. Just work your way backwards.

-Ant.

Drummerboy
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Battery issue sounds like the alternator, but as previously stated, that could be because it wasnt running. check plugs, connection to the dizzy and dizzy rotor.

ground_shaki
04-08-2009, 02:27 PM
i just fixed a car like this not to long ago but it jumped timing so i would check timing, cap, rotor, plugs, firing order and you already changed spark plugs. as for the battery could have a dead cell in it. i would keep jumping it off till it runs then go from there.

Le_Stat
04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
i jus had the same problem with my del sol u need to take ur spark plugs out and let it sit for a lil while while they are out cuz im pretty sure its flooded and while its airing out take ur dizzy cap off and clean the 4 metal prongs off with a knife of wire brush then replace ur rotary button of jus clean that lil thing on it that hits the prongs with a knife then put it all back together and it should fire right up...hopes this works for ya

DavidV
04-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Is your check engine light on(flickering). Mine was flickering and three days later we found out it was a ground wire.