PDA

View Full Version : The Official Windows 7 Thread

AlanŽ
03-18-2009, 03:51 AM
Who has it? What do ya'll like,dis-like about it?

I've been wanting to download it but I think I'm just gonna wait and buy it when it comes out I'm looking to buy a home computer to hook into my TV whenever my room gets furnished and shit but wanted to see what ya'll think about it.

ahabion
03-20-2009, 08:28 AM
I would like to know the same. Not sure if I really want to "upgrade" to vista right now if 7 is going to be better or more efficient. I need the 64 bits so i can actually utilize all 4 GB of my rig.

Is there really any difference as far as stability of the system over vista? I was briefly reading some of the enhancements with it and they said that its more refined than vista is, but what the heck does "refine" mean?

99hatch
03-20-2009, 10:03 AM
I downloaded it and rocked it for a while. It was nice and quick. Also you still have gadgets like vista, but no sidebar, you can put the gadgets anywhere. I did like that. However the Beta kept crashing on me and did not respond well to my overclocked computer. The real version should have all the bugs fixed.

Barefoot
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
i ran the beta for a little while but do to lack of driver support i couldn't do it for to long. all that's supposed to change by June 1. all manufacturers are supposed to have there drivers submitted by then.

Rican219
04-01-2009, 06:40 AM
Thinking about running it on my MacBook if I can get the ISO. VMFusion ftw

HEATON
04-04-2009, 11:03 PM
I would like to know the same. Not sure if I really want to "upgrade" to vista right now if 7 is going to be better or more efficient. I need the 64 bits so i can actually utilize all 4 GB of my rig.

Is there really any difference as far as stability of the system over vista? I was briefly reading some of the enhancements with it and they said that its more refined than vista is, but what the heck does "refine" mean?

Nooo.. If you can live on XP or w/e you're using don't get VISTA yet. Just clean out your computer with defrag and shit so it will op faster. The whole pint of 7, was to make it more workable and not bog down like Vista does. Kinda like making it simple again. Yet handle large loads when needed.

Rican219
04-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Who has an iso of windows 7 that I can load on my Macbook?

TheProfiteer
04-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I am freaking LOVING it, Windows 7 has the most beautiful and elegant GUI ever put into an OS. My 7000build x64 has not had a problem since, and all drivers that work on Vista work with it as well.

Build 7068 is out, here is a link. The Keys are generic beta keys, and the 7068 build does not expire until March 2010.

enjoy!!

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4808303/Microsoft.Window.7.Ultimate.RC1.Build.7068.x64.DVD-GRiM

ironchef
04-05-2009, 10:37 AM
I got it on my oldass laptop, works great. No problems at all, has the looks of Vista with 2x the speed of XP.

HEATON
04-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I got it on my oldass laptop, works great. No problems at all, has the looks of Vista with 2x the speed of XP.

Just how old? Just curious, bc then that would mean it runs off the same amount of ram as XP. Which would be really nice!!

ironchef
04-05-2009, 04:40 PM
A little over 3 years. Only got a gig of ram in it, and it runs great.

HEATON
04-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Hmmm.. Sounds nice! Hopefully the accutal release is just as good.

iam99x
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM

There is no such thing as upgrading to Vista. Also, 32-bit utilizes all 4gb of your RAM, it just doesn't recognize it. 64-bit is full of fail IMO.

AlanŽ
04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
I've actually never had a problem with my 64 bit vista. I ran it on a gig of ram for over a year and it was bareable. Running it on 3 is definitely a lot nicer.

iam99x
04-05-2009, 10:42 PM
The only problem with 64-bit OS's is the compatibility with some games and programs. I've stuck with 32-bit XP Pro for years, and I love it. I have a copy of Windows 7, but I don't really want to install it yet. I'm slowly building a new PC now, and I'll install 7 on this computer I'm using now.

TheProfiteer
04-06-2009, 06:15 AM
64bit Vista, and Windows 7 have full driver support and compatibility, they are able to run any 32bit application. Only older vapor-ware drivers will not work, but that does not matter cause the drivers that will not work are for products that have been out of production for several years.

I can run anything on the x64 Windows 7 install that I am using.

Your mind set seems to be stuck at some where about 3 years ago, before 64bit OSes went mainstream.

also the ablity to utilize 16.8 Million terabytes of memory is big fail?

also, do you have any recolection of how big of a FAIL Win XP was before they released SP1? Also if you are building a NEW pc say for example with a Quad Core CPU, and using an XP 32bit install will only limit and bottleneck your hardware. It took patches after patches after updates to get XP to even be able to utilize more than 2 CPU threads.

Paul
04-06-2009, 07:52 AM
also, do you have any recolection of how big of a FAIL Win XP was before they released SP1? Also if you are building a NEW pc say for example with a Quad Core CPU, and using an XP 32bit install will only limit and bottleneck your hardware. It took patches after patches after updates to get XP to even be able to utilize more than 2 CPU threads.

:thinking: i don't recall that b/c XP was a dream compared to ME and look/feel was far superior to 2000. SP1 just like any windows product just patched any issue it would of have - furthermore who was running 2/4 cpu in 2001?

windows 7 - overall great OS, it to me is a streamlined version of vista. i am currently running it as a testing machine at work and i have had 0 issues with it. no compatibility/driver problems or crashes - running on a dell precision workstation, all of my typical design/network management software works on it.

they are still advertising for vista so if they don't step up their marketing game for windows 7 before launch it will be slow coming, but end result most people including business arena will be happy with it. most IT managers i know have stayed away from vista in their environments (just as i have), but windows 7 i will definitely be integrating into my network.

TheProfiteer
04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
:thinking: i don't recall that b/c XP was a dream compared to ME and look/feel was far superior to 2000. SP1 just like any windows product just patched any issue it would of have - furthermore who was running 2/4 cpu in 2001?

windows 7 - overall great OS, it to me is a streamlined version of vista. i am currently running it as a testing machine at work and i have had 0 issues with it. no compatibility/driver problems or crashes - running on a dell precision workstation, all of my typical design/network management software works on it.

they are still advertising for vista so if they don't step up their marketing game for windows 7 before launch it will be slow coming, but end result most people including business arena will be happy with it. most IT managers i know have stayed away from vista in their environments (just as i have), but windows 7 i will definitely be integrating into my network.

Vista has cleaned up quite a bit since release, its actually a very stable and compatible OS now.

XP and Vista both had the same problems on release, poor driver support, and lack-luster compatibility.

It wasnt untill SP1 for both OSes did they get almost full backwards compatibility, and solid stability. I remember my mom getting a Dell PC when XP first came out, and it was BSOD on a weekly basis.

and yeah no one had any multithreaded CPUs when XP first came out, but then only a year later Intel introduced the P4: HT so MS had to jump on point and patch XP up with multi-thread support.

iam99x
04-09-2009, 09:25 PM
64bit Vista, and Windows 7 have full driver support and compatibility, they are able to run any 32bit application. Only older vapor-ware drivers will not work, but that does not matter cause the drivers that will not work are for products that have been out of production for several years.

I can run anything on the x64 Windows 7 install that I am using.

Your mind set seems to be stuck at some where about 3 years ago, before 64bit OSes went mainstream.

also the ablity to utilize 16.8 Million terabytes of memory is big fail?

What can you expect from a new OS? I don't recall any new released OS being perfect. There are flaws in everything. My mind isn't stuck anywhere, I just know what is recommended to support my needs. No quad core for me...it's overkill. I'm going to be running the e8400 c2d processor with XP Pro SP3. I just downloaded Windows 7, and I'm going to use my laptop as the crash test dummy. I hope it works out well. Can I just use XP drivers for it?

TheProfiteer
04-11-2009, 10:14 AM
What can you expect from a new OS? I don't recall any new released OS being perfect. There are flaws in everything. My mind isn't stuck anywhere, I just know what is recommended to support my needs. No quad core for me...it's overkill. I'm going to be running the e8400 c2d processor with XP Pro SP3. I just downloaded Windows 7, and I'm going to use my laptop as the crash test dummy. I hope it works out well. Can I just use XP drivers for it?

nah its built off the Vista kernal, which is in turn originally built off the Windows 2000 kernel.

so yeah your gonna need Vista drivers.

iam99x
04-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Oh, okay. Thanks, man.

.blank cd
04-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Mac OSX FTW

~runs~

iam99x
04-12-2009, 07:15 PM
ROFL, very nice.

No need to run, though! Every OS has it's pro's and con's.

+reps for making me lol :D

DemonEyez
04-12-2009, 07:39 PM
anyone have a link for the latest build by chance?
for the 64 bit that is

Rican219
04-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Mac OSX FTW

~runs~

YES!!

Now someone give me a site I can download the windows 7 beta

iam99x
04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Microsoft took it down a month or so ago.
:(
I downloaded it from uTorrent, though.

TheProfiteer
04-19-2009, 01:54 AM
http://www.mininova.org/com/2495642

Thats the latest build

iam99x
04-19-2009, 06:44 AM
I installed Windows 7 Black on my laptop, and the Vista video drivers aren't working very well. All pictures are miscolored and weird looking. I haven't messed with it since that happened. Maybe I'll have time to do so later today.

Other than that, It's pretty cool.

TheProfiteer
04-20-2009, 05:24 PM
delete the video drivers and run windows update, it will detect and automatically install the correct driver.

iam99x
04-21-2009, 03:51 AM
I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks, sir.