PDA

View Full Version : Religion the mayan calender and 2012

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 01:36 AM
i was wwatching a show on the history channel abt the mayans. they based everything on sun cycles and astrology. they also say history repeats itself and in the calender things that happened thousands of years ago were written down as prophecies. well if you scroll the calender forward the same statements apply to the cycles up to the 21st entury. they described things that happened like WW1 and WW2, civicl war, revolutionary war, etc, and these same things happened to their civilization. kind of creepy. and the person they described as the one who taught them of astrology and the cycles was not like them. he was described as a white person, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and the mayans used to wrap their babies skulls to resemble the shape of this persons head. i find it kind of strange they say a white man taught them what they knew of the universe and time and such. it also mentionedd on 2012 that not only is the a galactic alignment, but the earth also changes direction of it's "wobble" which is also a 26000 year cycle. it does not state that the world is going to end, but it does mention a new age or a new ruler of sorts. check it out in further detail. it's hard to explain but i was like WTF, esp since i have seen stuff claiming that we are a hybrid species. makes you wonder how thousands of years ago they had all this knowledge. the only things we have left are what the spainish did not destroy. nobody has ever explained easter island, pyramids, sumarians, etc. its just too random for ancient people when we are supposicvly so much smarter now than then and most people today cannot even pick out orions belt in the sky.

One_Bad_SHO
03-18-2009, 01:57 AM
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/32/l_204011edaa5b41c7a6fe143d994c80bb.jpg

If I could go back in time it would most def be to sit down and have a chat with these Mayans.

81911SC
03-18-2009, 01:58 AM
LOL

Paul
03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/32/l_204011edaa5b41c7a6fe143d994c80bb.jpg

If I could go back in time it would most def be to sit down and have a chat with these Mayans.

bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lmfao:

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 12:01 PM

wow ur funny, this would be a more specific topic to the mayan calender and culture, not just 2012, most of the time people say start a new thread for a different subject within a subject, so thats what i did. whats your opinion on the myans anyways.

If i could go back in time i would have never sold you those toshiba flash drives so cheap. i remember who you are.

Elbow
03-18-2009, 12:11 PM
How many threads are we going to have with this? Neg repped for life.

One_Bad_SHO
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
If i could go back in time i would have never sold you those toshiba flash drives so cheap. i remember who you are.

Say whaaaaaa?? First this thread and now a case of mistaken identity. Strike 2, buddy.

Maniacc
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
i was wwatching a show on the history channel abt the mayans. they based everything on sun cycles and astrology. they also say history repeats itself and in the calender things that happened thousands of years ago were written down as prophecies. well if you scroll the calender forward the same statements apply to the cycles up to the 21st entury. they described things that happened like WW1 and WW2, civicl war, revolutionary war, etc, and these same things happened to their civilization. kind of creepy. and the person they described as the one who taught them of astrology and the cycles was not like them. he was described as a white person, with blonde hair and blue eyes, and the mayans used to wrap their babies skulls to resemble the shape of this persons head. i find it kind of strange they say a white man taught them what they knew of the universe and time and such. it also mentionedd on 2012 that not only is the a galactic alignment, but the earth also changes direction of it's "wobble" which is also a 26000 year cycle. it does not state that the world is going to end, but it does mention a new age or a new ruler of sorts. check it out in further detail. it's hard to explain but i was like WTF, esp since i have seen stuff claiming that we are a hybrid species. makes you wonder how thousands of years ago they had all this knowledge. the only things we have left are what the spainish did not destroy. nobody has ever explained easter island, pyramids, sumarians, etc. its just too random for ancient people when we are supposicvly so much smarter now than then and most people today cannot even pick out orions belt in the sky.
Here's a couple quick question just for kicks.

If the Sun's in a cycle, how exactly does it have a beginning or end? And, there are some speculation/predictions about our solar system passing through the ecliptic of the milky way galaxy around 2012 - any conformation on this? Or do you just not know anything about the subject and going by what you heard on TV?

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Here's a couple quick question just for kicks.

If the Sun's in a cycle, how exactly does it have a beginning or end? And, there are some speculation/predictions about our solar system passing through the ecliptic of the milky way galaxy around 2012 - any conformation on this? Or do you just not know anything about the subject and going by what you heard on TV?

astronomers talk of the galactic alignment, though other models people have shown its actually just our view from earth on the sunrise that morning. the sun does have cycles which involve cycles of like 26million years, just as the earth has cycles. there are several places talking of galactic alignment, not just stuff on tv. for example did you know that every 11 years the sun has a magnetic pole shift. look it up, look up the patters for it and how they are different than what we have seen to date, it may not mean anything at all, did you also know we had a megnetic pole shift on earth in like 98 or 99.

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Say whaaaaaa?? First this thread and now a case of mistaken identity. Strike 2, buddy.

sorry i was trying to quote paul, not you neg rep me all you want cuz i dont really care.

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
How many threads are we going to have with this? Neg repped for life.

dont really give a crap, neg rep away. its funny when you scroll over your rep bar it says you have no life, i really think so at this point. good luck racing into the future.

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
wow lets try to pick on someone, we have a thread with a generic "2012" title, and my thread is specific to the myan calender, not just a general"what do you think is gonna happen. in my original post i mentioned other things, not just 2012, would anybody like to explain how a whole culture worshiped a white man with blonde hair and blue eyes. there is much more to the myan calender than 2012

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_6.htm

another interesting place to look into, the stone used would have to have been cut by daimond tipped tools b/c of how hard the stone is. modern people cannot recreate and cut the precise lines in these stones.

One_Bad_SHO
03-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Relax man. Don't get your panties in a twist. I don't play the 'reps' game. :goodjob:

They even used staples to keep stones in place (as shown in the video 'The Mysterious Origins of Man'). Pretty damn high tech for their time period.

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Relax man. Don't get your panties in a twist. I don't play the 'reps' game. :goodjob:

They even used staples to keep stones in place (as shown in the video 'The Mysterious Origins of Man'). Pretty damn high tech for their time period.

i actually was gonna watch that video tonight, tried to last night but it got way too late, the reps part im refering more to simon.

Maniacc
03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
astronomers talk of the galactic alignment, though other models people have shown its actually just our view from earth on the sunrise that morning. the sun does have cycles which involve cycles of like 26million years, just as the earth has cycles. there are several places talking of galactic alignment, not just stuff on tv. for example did you know that every 11 years the sun has a magnetic pole shift. look it up, look up the patters for it and how they are different than what we have seen to date, it may not mean anything at all, did you also know we had a megnetic pole shift on earth in like 98 or 99.
Do you honestly think I have no idea about 2012 or any of the assumptions that people are throwing out there?

Okay, so one thing that keeps coming up is the whole galactic alignment, right? How we'll pass through the center of our galaxy. Well, check this out. Here's a representative picture(obviously not our actual galaxy):

http://i42.tinypic.com/zwfbzr.jpg

We are about 25,000 light years away from the center, and we aren't even headed in that general direction. So that 'theory' is pretty much outta the question. But I'm sure you knew that already...

I'm also sure that you've heard about the whole Nibiru being the Planet X and how it's going to come close to Earth or something like that - right? You've probably heard the whole claim that Nibiru would somehow cause global catastrophe by lining up with the Sun, correct? You realize that another planet's gravity will have no effect on us whatever its orientation, right? Even Jupiter won't, and it's by far the biggest planet. You're getting more gravitational pull from your computer monitor than Jupiter can exert on you.

Newton just pwned that theory.

http://i39.tinypic.com/21l0lll.gif

Haha, seriously let's put it this way; if Nibiru passes through our solar system every 6000 years, then means it has brought destruction to the Earth - over 750,000 times! So scratch that 'theory' outta the list.

Now let us continue with the Sun's cycle.

The Sun goes through this cycle all the time and indications show that the next one 'may' be a little higher than average. But the one in the 60s was the biggest ever recorded. So why didn't we fry then? Also the people that make these 'predictions' are doing just that, guessing, with a little bit of added data they've gathered to bring down the error factor. They'll probably freely admit they couldn't tell you with any certainty what was going to happen on the surface of the sun tomorrow let alone in 3 years.

What causes storms on the Sun are solar flares and Sun spots. Those are a few that effect Earth. There are always periods of zero Sun spot activity.

In spending 2 minutes and clicking through the archive dates on Spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?month=04&day=03&year=2007&view=view) I can find many times when there has been 0 sun spots. Yet why is this a problem now when it hasn't been over the entire history of our planet? Solar activity increases, then decreases. At most enough extra radiation gets through to 'cause minor mutations in large organisms and sometimes bigger ones in viruses.

Let's see... what's next? Oh, polar shifts!!

Polar shifts - they're nothing but a hypothesis. The real effect is called geomagnetic reversal. After reading about that you'll see there is really nothing to worry about since it has happened numerous times before.

So in conclusion I've pretty much owned you and streetspeed's whole 2012 theories and 'guesses' in less than 40 mins. How does it feel?

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Do you honestly think I have no idea about 2012 or any of the assumptions that people are throwing out there?

Okay, so one thing that keeps coming up is the whole galactic alignment, right? How we'll pass through the center of our galaxy. Well, check this out. Here's a representative picture(obviously not our actual galaxy):

http://i42.tinypic.com/zwfbzr.jpg

We are about 25,000 light years away from the center, and we aren't even headed in that general direction. So that 'theory' is pretty much outta the question. But I'm sure you knew that already...

I'm also sure that you've heard about the whole Nibiru being the Planet X and how it's going to come close Earth or something like that - right? You've probably heard the whole claim that Nibiru would somehow cause global catastrophe by lining up with the Sun, correct? You realize that another planet's gravity will have no effect on us whatever its orientation, right? Even Jupiter won't, and it's by far the biggest planet. You're getting more gravitational pull from your computer monitor than Jupiter can exert on you.

Newton just pwned that theory.

http://i39.tinypic.com/21l0lll.gif

Haha, seriously let's put it this way; if Nibiru passes through our solar system every 6000 years, then means it has brought destruction to the Earth - over 750,000 times! So scratch that 'theory' outta the list.

Now let us continue with the Sun's cycle.

The Sun goes through this cycle all the time and indications show that the next one 'may' be a little higher than average. But the one in the 60s was the biggest ever recorded. So why didn't we fry then? Also the people that make these 'predictions' are doing just that, guessing, with a little bit of added data they've gathered to bring down the error factor. They'll probably freely admit they couldn't tell you with any certainty what was going to happen on the surface of the sun tomorrow let alone in 3 years.

What causes storms on the Sun are solar flares and Sun spots. Those are a few that effect Earth. There are always periods of zero Sun spot activity.

In spending 2 minutes and clicking through the archive dates on Spaceweather.com (http://www.spaceweather.com/archive.php?month=04&day=03&year=2007&view=view) I can find many times when there has been 0 sun spots. Yet why is this a problem now when it hasn't been over the entire history of our planet? Solar activity increases, then decreases. At most enough extra radiation gets through to 'cause minor mutations in large organisms and sometimes bigger ones in viruses.

Let's see... what's next? Oh, polar shifts!!

Polar shifts - they're nothing but a hypothesis. The real effect is called geomagnetic reversal. After reading about that you'll see there is really nothing to worry about since it has happened numerous times before.

So in conclusion I've pretty much owned you and streetspeed's whole 2012 theories and 'guesses' in less than 30 mins. How does it feel?

you didn't own anything, actually you took the context waaay further out than i would nave, planet X i think is BS, in regards to the sun spots and flares, we had a big one in the 60s, but after recorded data which doesn't go that far back, the sun spots are coming out at a different degree on the sun and with more intensity than what we normally see, doesnt mean the world is going to end. this might explain global warming, and the warming of our solar system, look at mars for example. the galactic alignment is basically the sun rises in the plane of the galactic equator, and in the line of sight of the glactic buldge on the start of the winter solstice that morning, happens every 6500 yrs roughly, last time it was the summer solstice though. the whole lining up thing is about a 35 year process which we have started for 15yrs os so(global warming). basically what most of this means to me is global warming is BS b/c our whole solar system is unfreezing. with the position we are in technically we would rec'v more radiation/energy from the center of the galaxy(kind of like the equator on earth) which can have an effect on the earth, sun, hell the whole solar system. so you didn't own a theory b/c i never once have said the world is going to end. period. i simply was talking about cycles, we have seen throug hhistory the planet has heated and cooled etc depending on where we are in the galaxy, etc. we might get a massive solar flare that we will see this low in the hemishpere at night like the northern lights, or it could cook us. look on natgeo's website about the solar system warming. BTW the new age most refer to is the age of aquarius.

Maniacc
03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
you didn't own anything, actually you took the context waaay further out than i would nave, planet X i think is BS, in regards to the sun spots and flares, we had a big one in the 60s, but after recorded data which doesn't go that far back, the sun spots are coming out at a different degree on the sun and with more intensity than what we normally see, doesnt mean the world is going to end. this might explain global warming, and the warming of our solar system, look at mars for example. the galactic alignment is basically the sun rises in the plane of the galactic equator, and in the line of sight of the glactic buldge on the start of the winter solstice that morning, happens every 6500 yrs roughly, last time it was the summer solstice though. the whole lining up thing is about a 35 year process which we have started for 15yrs os so(global warming). basically what most of this means to me is global warming is BS b/c our whole solar system is unfreezing. with the position we are in technically we would rec'v more radiation/energy from the center of the galaxy(kind of like the equator on earth) which can have an effect on the earth, sun, hell the whole solar system. so you didn't own a theory b/c i never once have said the world is going to end. period. i simply was talking about cycles, we have seen throug hhistory the planet has heated and cooled etc depending on where we are in the galaxy, etc. we might get a massive solar flare that we will see this low in the hemishpere at night like the northern lights, or it could cook us. look on natgeo's website about the solar system. BTW the new age most refer to is the age of aquarius.
lmfao, I'm sure it took you close to an hour to type all of that down.

:lmao: @ the age of aquarius! Who the fuck said anything about the New Age? This isn't a thread about Zeitgeist, you delusional fuck!

preferredduck
03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
lmfao, I'm sure it took you close to an hour to type all of that down.

:lmao: @ the age of aquarius! Who the fuck said anything about the New Age? This isn't a thread about Zeitgeist, you delusional fuck!

no it only took abt 10 minutes or less, the age being refered to would be what the myan and many other religions call THE END. look back through history and you will always see a reference to the astrological age of that time period. after reading some of your other posts you may b delusional aswell, read my first post thouroughly to see the reference. thanks for your input, seems someone like to argue and entertain others. roflauda :lmfao:

Maniacc
03-19-2009, 08:32 AM
no it only took abt 10 minutes or less, the age being refered to would be what the myan and many other religions call THE END. look back through history and you will always see a reference to the astrological age of that time period. after reading some of your other posts you may b delusional aswell, read my first post thouroughly to see the reference. thanks for your input, seems someone like to argue and entertain others. roflauda :lmfao:
You have not posted anything that I haven't already 'heard' or 'read.'

Thanks for wasting my time.

preferredduck
03-20-2009, 12:37 AM
You have not posted anything that I haven't already 'heard' or 'read.'

Thanks for wasting my time.

WELL THEN IF YOU KNOW IT ALL WHY WASTE YOUR TIME ON THE THREAD, OR WHY BOTHER POSTING, IT'S A DOUBLE NEGATIVE.

One_Bad_SHO
03-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Regardless, all we can do is theorize on what we believe will happen given the so called facts floating around. No use in arguing about something no one can accurately predict.

Lets just bump this thread in 3 yrs, k? :goodjob:

GTScoob
03-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Nice post alex. I was just going to hop in here and say about the same thing. The mayan calendar is a FINITE SYSTEM of interlocking rings. They predict a major change in the world but do not say that the world will end. Considering the increasing speed of global events this is a very legitimate prediction.

The status quo of international relations sat relatively unchanged after the Treaty of Westphalia for almost 200 yrs before democracy became widespread, then WWI showed that a global war could occur. WWII proved that east-west relations subvert to those of differing ideologies, then the Cold War proved to tear apart all peaceful means earlier. The end of the cold war ushered in an era of global peace with no obvious enemy and then of course 9/11 made international terror public enemy number 1. Some think that 2012 could be an end to nuclear proliferation or a completely international economy, ushering in global peace, others think that it will be the beginning of WWIII, either way it will be a new world. You all can blame Obama for everything come 2012, dont worry.

If you want to look into it more, I highly recommend checking out the Palinque ruins in the south Yucatan, it is the site where they have found the most mathematical data relating the stars and calendars. Beautiful jungle scenery as well as an excellent museum discussing the calendar, and also the Mayan equivalent of the finding of King Tut's tomb (Pakal for those who care).

Just because the people were ancient does not mean they were any dumber, they just had different tools and skillsets.

preferredduck
03-20-2009, 02:17 AM
Nice post alex. I was just going to hop in here and say about the same thing. The mayan calendar is a FINITE SYSTEM of interlocking rings. They predict a major change in the world but do not say that the world will end. Considering the increasing speed of global events this is a very legitimate prediction.

The status quo of international relations sat relatively unchanged after the Treaty of Westphalia for almost 200 yrs before democracy became widespread, then WWI showed that a global war could occur. WWII proved that east-west relations subvert to those of differing ideologies, then the Cold War proved to tear apart all peaceful means earlier. The end of the cold war ushered in an era of global peace with no obvious enemy and then of course 9/11 made international terror public enemy number 1. Some think that 2012 could be an end to nuclear proliferation or a completely international economy, ushering in global peace, others think that it will be the beginning of WWIII, either way it will be a new world. You all can blame Obama for everything come 2012, dont worry.

If you want to look into it more, I highly recommend checking out the Palinque ruins in the south Yucatan, it is the site where they have found the most mathematical data relating the stars and calendars. Beautiful jungle scenery as well as an excellent museum discussing the calendar, and also the Mayan equivalent of the finding of King Tut's tomb (Pakal for those who care).

Just because the people were ancient does not mean they were any dumber, they just had different tools and skillsets.

amen, the calender does not say we blow up, but a new age of sorts and the earth has been through 4 so far. i saw waht you were talking abt on history channel the other night about the tomb, which nobody is allowed in. they have been talking of a one world financial system recently to the financial crisis, we need to get away from the bankers b/c we are in debt from the beginning, i hope it's not the nwo cuz thats been in the works since bush sr was in office, see his speech on 9/11/91. i have watches several shows recently on ancient civilizations and the knowledge they had of the sun and solar system is amazing. a lot of places arounf the world have the same drawings and facail features even though these people were seperated by time and distance. hell there is no smoke residue in the kings chamber in the pyramids in egypt, and the light reflection theory has been deemed useless, but in a temple of knowledge there are carvings of people holding what looks like a light bulb, and i know the romans went and destroyed egyt's history for some odd reason. look up the bagdhad battery, its pretty cool, and some think the sphinx is older than we thin it really is. check out a site calle puma punka in bolivia, its pretty cool too.

GTScoob
03-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Do you have links to these pictures of light bulbs? I'm intrigued. I've heard of the baghdad battery, and there was another one found in India if I'm not mistaken.

And the romans destroyed a bunch because they had different beliefs, but there are theories that they were destroying lost knowledge. A lot of the primitive pyramids that have gimmicks regarding solstices and equinoxes (such as the Temple of Kulkulkan at Chichen Itza, or the Magisters House at Tulum) do crazy things like glow or make shapes on the pyramid so that the tribal shaman could announce/ predict harvests.

Hmm, Bolivia. I havent heard of the site but I think I'll have to get down there over the summer when me and my friend head out on another south american trek, we're planning on hitting up Tikal and Machu Pichu at least since we missed them on our last venture in January. Fuck jobs, just save enough to travel to poor latin american countries and live like Indiana Jones.

preferredduck
03-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Do you have links to these pictures of light bulbs? I'm intrigued. I've heard of the baghdad battery, and there was another one found in India if I'm not mistaken.

And the romans destroyed a bunch because they had different beliefs, but there are theories that they were destroying lost knowledge. A lot of the primitive pyramids that have gimmicks regarding solstices and equinoxes (such as the Temple of Kulkulkan at Chichen Itza, or the Magisters House at Tulum) do crazy things like glow or make shapes on the pyramid so that the tribal shaman could announce/ predict harvests.

Hmm, Bolivia. I havent heard of the site but I think I'll have to get down there over the summer when me and my friend head out on another south american trek, we're planning on hitting up Tikal and Machu Pichu at least since we missed them on our last venture in January. Fuck jobs, just save enough to travel to poor latin american countries and live like Indiana Jones.

it has been coming on the history channel alot lately, im going through some vids to see if they are the exact ones. i always found it strange the romans destroyed the egypt's history, just as the spainish destroyed most of the myan history. there is also a place in peru from 1000ft in the air you can see drawings of all sorts of stuff and perfectly cut"runways" of sorts on the top of mountains. i think in the area is also where they have founs golden objects that look like modern day airplanes. im trying to see if the vid i found now is the same one. the pyramid that these images were found is the temple of knowledge where most people are not allowed to go, no smoke residue on the ceilings from torches and you cannot light a lighter in the middle for a lack of oxygen. ill see if i can find the images of some of these places, check history channel listings b/c it has been on alot lately.

preferredduck
03-20-2009, 11:38 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5682121349064772632

link to the 2007 version, the one i've seen came out this year and am currently downloading.

tdurr
03-21-2009, 07:50 PM
so all i gotta say is, im partying like its 1999 december of 2011.
oh and FIRST!

Edit: post 2300! woot

preferredduck
03-22-2009, 02:15 PM
so all i gotta say is, im partying like its 1999 december of 2011.
oh and FIRST!

Edit: post 2300! woot

party all you want to my friend, hell i may join you at that point.

jimjam187
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
did you ever think mabye the myans jost decided to stop @ 2012? Maybe they got tired of making calanders

1SICKLEX
04-20-2009, 11:03 PM

great post

SPOOLIN
04-24-2009, 07:48 AM
did you ever think mabye the myans jost decided to stop @ 2012? Maybe they got tired of making calanders

#1 post of the thread. lol

Elbow
04-24-2009, 07:52 AM
God called, he said 2012 will just be another year, like 2000.

bookthief
04-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Answer:

http://www.anthroblogs.org/nomadicthoughts/archives/maya_cartoon.JPG

Elbow
04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
^LOL