PDA

View Full Version : cheapest way to insure a classic that is a DD?

LeX
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
so with hagerty which i have for my 510 you have to show proof of having an everyday vehicle etc so it can't be your only carrier. Who is the cheapest for you guys who DD your classic/oldschool car. Right now I use state farm and since I have renters insurance i get a discount but the rate still can be all over the place just depending on how they evaluate the older car. Anyone have any recommendations?

quickdodgeŽ
03-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I just use the same agent I use for my other cars. I pay $100/month for 4 cars. Including my classic. Later, QD.

LeX
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
I just use the same agent I use for my other cars. I pay $100/month for 4 cars. Including my classic. Later, QD.

very nice. I'm looking forward to when i'm 25 to get some more discounts.

Big_Dave
03-16-2009, 11:05 PM
I use state farm myself, and for a classic, that is a daily driver, I use a stated value policy. This is a policy where you set the value of the car. The value is then enforced by an appraisal. Pricing for the policy usually runs around fifty dollars per thousand, per month. But, it depends on your age, driving record, etc. It basically works out to a price that is close to driving a modern car of equal value. Also I think that this is full coverage, you can't get a stated value policy for liability insurance only. Hope that helps!

Big_Dave
03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
I think I misread the post. The che3apest way to insure your older car is to insure it wth liability coverage, and let the insurance company assume it is just an old clapped out car. The insurance will be as cheap as possible, but make no mistake your car when insured this way is only worth NADA black book. Ie: 1971 240z NADA would be about 800 bucks. If some one hits you, and you are running bottom of the barrel insurance, the other insurance company is likely to only pay you NADA for your car, no matter if you have an RB 25 swap and fresh paint. Especially a company like Atlanta Casualty or Progressive. So beware of what could happen if your not at fault. Be honest with your insurance agent and ask lots of "what if" questions.

AltimaCharlie
03-17-2009, 09:17 AM
i pay like 125 for 5 cars, but state farm probelly ussumes my classics are worth about 200 bucks a piece. so i need to get them appraised or something. the price is right but i get worried thinking about what coverage i acually have. i told them they are worth 2500 a piece but i doubt that will help.

LeX
03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
i was thinking of picking up a classic to DD and selling my wrx to pay off all my debts and future debts... i'll probably just try state farm and try out the stated value policy... it will only be for something like 2500 dollars.

I love hagerty though they are great so far

puregroove
03-17-2009, 04:56 PM
oh dang... Dave, we need to talk some insurance talk. :goodjob: I only have liability on the cars.

LeX
03-17-2009, 05:01 PM
i'm just going to stick the new ride with hagerty right now. $15.60 a month full coverage isnt bad

AltimaCharlie
03-18-2009, 01:54 PM
what are the rules about driving with hagarty? i should do this on my crown as i do not plan on driving daily. really this is a good reason to thin my fleet so i can insure what i have properly.

LeX
03-18-2009, 03:12 PM
i don't remember off the top of my head..

it's basically you need them stored in a locking garage when not in use (most of the time) and there are mileage restrictions and it can't just be an everyday driver , it's nothing serious

BABY J
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
ALWAYS insure the car for actual value -- it is not as expensive as it sounds. Would suck to be offered $150 for a car you have 8k in. Just my .02. I don't use any specialty classic insurance --- reason why is they are clueless on the value of imports - that niche sector of insurance is geared around American Muscle cars or EXOTICS. USAA is always good to me - and I lost count on how many cars/trucks I have insured - at least 10.

AltimaCharlie
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
locked garage? there's a problem! i doubt they would check on that. i need to rent a space somewhere, to store/work on cars.

LeX
03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
locked garage? there's a problem! i doubt they would check on that. i need to rent a space somewhere, to store/work on cars.

i mean it can be a barn or a rental shed or anything like that. For me I own one but i didn't use it as it's basically useless it's tiny lol

Big_Dave
03-19-2009, 09:25 AM
i pay like 125 for 5 cars, but state farm probelly ussumes my classics are worth about 200 bucks a piece. so i need to get them appraised or something. the price is right but i get worried thinking about what coverage i acually have. i told them they are worth 2500 a piece but i doubt that will help.
talk to your agent, and be specific about your concern, regarding what you value your car at. If you value your car at 2500.00, make certain that your insurance company will pay your value if the car is stolen or totaled. As Baby J said classic insurance is geared for American muscle, classics and exotics, mostly. A company like Haggerty's is the best option for full coverage and true value of your car, but if you just "say" you have a locked storage for your car, or if you drive your car more than 1000 miles a year then the specialty insurance will probably not cover any loss that you have. They WILL investigate any claim. The best and safest way to insure your car and get back your cash in case of a theft, total loss, or just having the insurance company pay for any damage incurred to your car is, a stated value policy.

LeX
03-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Hagerty actually allows unlimited mileage now. It just can't be your primary vehicle that you drive to work etc all the time. They are integrating new provisions too to be more friendly to japanese and 'modern classics' only concern is you have somewhere to store it properly if it comes to a claim